Soupeod

Motorcycling in the Philippines

Dafey
16 minutes ago, ROCO22 said:

Stateside dirtbike I would like to have in PI...

DRZ440... w/keihin 39mm pumper carb.

This girl will throttle up in 3rd no worries.

5ad132c579f4a_4-13-18096.thumb.JPG.31df25998f26f48abd9a54dba4efd263.JPG

That could probably fit in 2 Balacbiyan Boxes if you packed it right!!!

• Like 3

lolhahaha

I was at Honda today and I've been looking for something to use on the road and also dirt roads since those are about half the roads in this area, and I'll go riding in the mountains occasionally. I thought something 150+ would be good but the crf 250 looked like I'd be riding a horse and I doubt the 150 is much lower to the ground. They don't have the xr150 so I couldn't compare it without actually seeing it.

I would have bought a xrm125 for 68k, they are even fuel injected now,  but the dealer only takes cash and I have a visa rewards card that I try to use for everything to get the cash back. I think I'd get about 50 dollars back for the purchase, not bad.

Is this how it is everywhere or is it just because I live in the middle of nowhere?

I bought 2 bicycles a few months ago in the city for about 50k and the bike shop didn't want to let me use my credit card but when I told them that I changed my mind then they changed their minds.

Also, is there something else to consider similar to the xrm125? Maybe a 150 or a 175 from something other than honda?

• Like 1

shadow
1 hour ago, lolhahaha said:

I was at Honda today and I've been looking for something to use on the road and also dirt roads since those are about half the roads in this area, and I'll go riding in the mountains occasionally. I thought something 150+ would be good but the crf 250 looked like I'd be riding a horse and I doubt the 150 is much lower to the ground. They don't have the xr150 so I couldn't compare it without actually seeing it.

I would have bought a xrm125 for 68k, they are even fuel injected now,  but the dealer only takes cash and I have a visa rewards card that I try to use for everything to get the cash back. I think I'd get about 50 dollars back for the purchase, not bad.

Is this how it is everywhere or is it just because I live in the middle of nowhere?

I bought 2 bicycles a few months ago in the city for about 50k and the bike shop didn't want to let me use my credit card but when I told them that I changed my mind then they changed their minds.

Also, is there something else to consider similar to the xrm125? Maybe a 150 or a 175 from something other than honda?

The seat height of the XR 150 is 5 inches lower than the CRF 250. For the usage you describe, it will probably be difficult to beat the XR 150 overall.

• Like 2

Dafey
9 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

the bike shop didn't want to let me use my credit card

I shop bikes everywhere and have never found a shop that takes CC !!! Crazy! I think they would do a lot of business in cards alone.

• Like 2

GBT62
On 4/9/2018 at 2:15 AM, soupeod said:

I was looking at a local custom shop that does bobbers and cafe style using some of the local 125-175's - for a Sunday toy once I move out of the city - but hell that Rusi might be a decent option. Price is about the same and comes with a 13 month warranty and roadside assist.

For the amount I ride the Chinese quality shouldn't be a real issue.....  

• Like 3

T.S.
11 hours ago, GBT62 said:

I was looking at a local custom shop that does bobbers and cafe style using some of the local 125-175's - for a Sunday toy once I move out of the city - but hell that Rusi might be a decent option. Price is about the same and comes with a 13 month warranty and roadside assist.

For the amount I ride the Chinese quality shouldn't be a real issue.....  

That Rusi model is actually a Thai bike rather than Chinese. It's a re-branded GPX Legend.

Dafey

Also, a lot has to do with how you take care of your bike. I've had a Motorstar Explorer 150 for over 2 years and never had a problem. But, I change the oil regularly, clean and oil the chain, maintain fluids and generally keep it clean and covered. Looks and drives like new.

Look around at the crap that is on the street...easily half are just held together with wire and string. Obviously not registered as they would never pass a yearly E test.

• Like 3

GBT62
9 hours ago, T.S. said:

That Rusi model is actually a Thai bike rather than Chinese. It's a re-branded GPX Legend.

Chinese parts assembled in Thailand is what I've heard/read. Seen as a Sinnis in China is the consensus. Wouldn't really worry me whatever the case is. They're cheap enough to buy a second one for spares (have done that before with cheap Chinese tools at Bunnings for those odd-job requirements.)  

• Like 3

rizla

This is my Rusi, can't say I'm impressed, the vibration makes it uncomfortable for more than 30 min travel, and not being able to fit a Top Box makes carrying shopping etc a pain, too small for two people to ride in comfort. I will be selling it when back in Argao and get something bigger. Having said that, the bike works well, considering it is left for over six months, just need to recharge the battery and flush the carb and she fires up with no problem.

5ad6b3ff86ad4_bike1(10).thumb.JPG.2ef7f9abc99ea638d73a7f269f53bb81.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

shadow
54 minutes ago, rizla said:

This is my Rusi, can't say I'm impressed, the vibration makes it uncomfortable for more than 30 min travel, and not being able to fit a Top Box makes carrying shopping etc a pain, too small for two people to ride in comfort. I will be selling it when back in Argao and get something bigger. Having said that, the bike works well, considering it is left for over six months, just need to recharge the battery and flush the carb and she fires up with no problem.

5ad6b3ff86ad4_bike1(10).thumb.JPG.2ef7f9abc99ea638d73a7f269f53bb81.JPG

LOL.

My wife rode one of those for a day or two (belonged to a friend). She didn't like it, said it was too small for her.

She is 4'8".

I sat on it, I felt like a gorilla humping a football.

What kind of hocus pocus spell would possess a grown man to buy one of those?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

rizla
9 minutes ago, shadow said:

What kind of hocus pocus spell would possess a grown man to buy one of those?

I guess one that liked the look of the bike and found a new one dirt cheap, ex repro at half price. including registration etc. It is small, that's very true, and convenient for going to Carcar, but I soon learnt that long distances were not for me, hence why I'm selling it

Edited by rizla
Spelling mistake
  • Haha 1

shadow
22 minutes ago, rizla said:

I guess one that liked the look of the bike and found a new one dirt cheap, ex repro at half price. including registration etc. It is small, that's very true, and convenient for going to Carcar, but I soon learnt that long distances were not for me, hence why I'm selling it

That is a Rusi trait, once it leaves the showroom it is only worth about half of new price.

rizla
8 minutes ago, shadow said:

That is a Rusi trait, once it leaves the showroom it is only worth about half of new price.

Not sure it is only Rusi, since buying the bike, I have found that Honda and Yamaha also lose a huge amount once out of the showroom,  But buying new does give warranty and with Rusi, some extra breakdown support, not offered by other makes.

shadow
2 hours ago, rizla said:

Not sure it is only Rusi, since buying the bike, I have found that Honda and Yamaha also lose a huge amount once out of the showroom,  But buying new does give warranty and with Rusi, some extra breakdown support, not offered by other makes.

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki lose about 30% right away, then maintain that value for quite a few years if taken care of. A 10 year old Honda will still be worth about 70% of it's purchase price. A 10 year old Rusi in the same condition will be worth next to nothing.

lolhahaha
35 minutes ago, shadow said:

Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki lose about 30% right away, then maintain that value for quite a few years if taken care of. A 10 year old Honda will still be worth about 70% of it's purchase price.

The bike shop down the road was selling a several year old Rouser 150 for 55k this morning. The seat was mostly dust with half the foam chewed out, some of the plastic around the front and sides was cracked up. Looked really bad. They told me that it was still in good condition. I didn't even ask how many ks on it.

The new 160 in the same shop sells for 85k. And that one is FI with tubeless tires looked definitely worth the price.

They were also selling a xrm125 that was apparently"new" since nobody had ever bought it so they wanted 68k for it but since they roll it out into the sun every morning it was obvious that this thing was pretty old. The seat wasn't red anymore. It had turned a bleached out light pink color it had sat in the sun so long. Youd think that they would learn to cover the seats or something but apparently that is expecting too much.

• Like 1