Soupeod

Motorcycling in the Philippines

Dafey

Yesterday we were driving the two lane National Highway in SW Leyte. We were behind a bus averaging 40-60 KMH on winding roads. No biggie, we were not in a hurry though plenty of vans taking crazy chances passing us and the bus on blind corners wanting to do 100-120 KMH.

Before long the bus stopped. Not unusual as passengers get on and off wherever they need. But this was a long stop! Got out of the car and peeked around the front of the bus and they were cleaning up the mess after a motorcycle accident.

Piecing it together it appeared that a kid on a Honda CBR, (at least that's what it looked like was left of it), was ripping around a corner and hit a young goat, (10-12 kilos). Distance from the dead goat to the bike was about 20 meters. Judging by the scratches in the road, after the goat...leading to the bike, it tumbled that distance. My best guess is he was doing about 100KMH to go that far. (not a crash expert but seems about right)

Fortunately the guy lived...must have slid off to the side...but he was banged and scratched up pretty bad!

Point is, for my friends here that think, "it can't happen to me" and ride at high speed on these province roads, it only takes 1 goat to take you down.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, Dafey said:

it only takes 1 goat to take you down.

As we have heard before -" it only takes one goat to change your reputation forever !  ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Soupeod

• Like 1

shadow
4 hours ago, soupeod said:

I see someone selling this one in Cebu City, asking P180k;

29101697_1191802210952702_6611905764299991123_n.jpg?oh=cda57d05d82d0929141d2dcf329f9350&oe=5B3F20DC

• Like 4

Soupeod

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

colemanlee

• Like 2

colemanlee

• Like 2

Soupeod

• Like 2

Soupeod

Damn... I am calculating my options na.

Dafey

Yeah...I'm looking very seriously at the Dominar now. Thanks to @HTM for pointing it out!

ABS

Slipper Clutch

Fuel injection

Triple spark plugs

6 Speed

Water cooled

It has everything I'm looking for at half the price of the competition. There are a few mods I'd do right away:

Handlebar risers, trunk rack with passenger backrest trunk, (White Gold for 1500PHP), saddle bag rack. 

The complaints from owners are things like the fiberglass tank instead of metal, no indicator for gear position, ( if you don't know what gear you're in you're not paying attention to your driving IMHO), vibration at high speed on the earlier models but is supposed to be fixed at factory now. In fact the negatives that I've seen were paltry and fixable in most cases. The hard part is finding one...very popular because of the price.

found this one at RMC near a few blocks east of Metro Cebu. Plum color is very nice. They quote 165K plus registration.

5abd788b465d8_Dominarplum.JPG.1e84565b1b8de1d4b83bc402f18cdf24.JPG 

• Like 2

Dafey

This looks like fun!

• Like 2

Soupeod

Compare Motorcycles

Php 379,000 Php 270,000 Php 165,000
  Downpayment 
Php 95,000
Monthly Payment
Php 12,149
Downpayment 
Php 67,500
Monthly Payment
Php 8,663
Downpayment 
Php 34,000
Monthly Payment
Php 6,920
Frame Backbone Backbone Backbone
Category Pang Sports Pang Sports Pang Sports
Engine Type Liquid-Cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC parallel twin, 8-valves Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, Parallel Twin Triple spark 4-valve DTS-i engine, closed fuel injection, liquid cooled
Displacement (cc) 471 cc 296 cc 373.3 cc
Bore x Stroke (mm) 67mm x 66.8mm  
Fuel Capacity (L) 17.7 Liters 17 Liters 13 Liters
Max Output (kW) 34.6 kW @ 8,500 rpm  
Ignition Type    
Front Suspension Conventional Telescopic 41mm, preload adjustable   Telescopic, 43mm forks
Engine Oil Capacity (L)    
Front Tire 120/70-17   110/70-17 Radial
Wheels Type    
Starting System    
Transmission Type 6-speed 6-speed, return
Brake System (Front / Rear) Single Wavy Disk, 320mm, 2 pot caliper / Single Wavy Disk, 240mm, 1 pot caliper   Twin-channel ABS, 320 dia disc / Twin-channel ABS, 230 dia disc
Wet Weight (with oil & fuel) 196 kg 184 kg 182 kg
Seat Height 812 mm  
Fuel    
Maximum Horse Power   39.8 HP @ 11,500 rpm 35 PS @ 8000 RPM
Maximum Torque 41.3 N.m @ 7,000 rpm 25.7 N.m (2.6 kgf.m) @ 10,000 rpm 35 Nm @ 6500 RPM
Gear Shift Pattern    
Carburator Type    
Compression Ratio 10.7 : 1  
Rear Suspension Prolink mono with 9 stage preload adjuster, steel square pipe swing arm   Multi-step adjustable mono shock
Rear Tire 160/60-17   150/60-17 Radial
Overall Dimensions (lenght x width x height) 2,098mm x 826mm x 1,358mm   2156mm X 813mm X 1112mm
Wheelbase 1,421 mm   1453 mm
Minimum Ground Clearance 170 mm   157 mm
Dry Weight (without oil & Fuel)    
Cylinder Arrangement    
Lubrication System    
Fuel System   Fuel Injection
Clutch Type Wet Multiplate   Slipper clutch
Frame Type Diamond / Steel   Beam type perimeter frame
Headlight Low 4.8 W High 12 W x 1 light  
Primary/Secondary Reduction Ratio    
Top Speed    
Combination Brake System    
Turning Radius 2.8 m  
Security System HISS (Honda Intelligent Security System)  
Taillight    
Instruments LCD meter  

• Thanks 1

noddle

is there an engine size restrictions in the Philippines ?,

I was looking at a Honda shop awhile ago in Davao, ( looking at the XR range), and the largest was a 125,

here (Aus) in the XR range (road registered) I can buy a XR250, and years ago you could get XR 650R

Nigel

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, noddle said:

I was looking at a Honda shop awhile ago in Davao, ( looking at the XR range), and the largest was a 125,

here (Aus) in the XR range (road registered) I can buy a XR250, and years ago you could get XR 650R

Nigel

You can buy a 2000 cc HD at the dealers here 

• Like 2

shadow
1 hour ago, noddle said:

Nigel

XR200 and CRF250 are popular here, just not available at all dealerships.

• Like 2