Motorcycling in the Philippines

cookie47

My old 600cc Panther had a decompression lever on the timing case And another on the handlebars, but occasionally it would still "get ya" 

Picture below (not mine). Only had a Box Brownie camera in the 60,s

Screenshot_2020-06-14-12-35-37-339_com.miui.gallery.png

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• Soupeod

• RR3

• DeedleNuts

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new Dominar 400choose files... Click to choose files

It's been over a year and my bike is well broken in. Thought it was time for a report. Bought this bike in March 2019. 2018 Yamaha Xmax 300 I finally admitted that my body is too worn and to

@RR3 You can spend your money ever how you want to its your money...as for driving "all over Leyte and Samar"  Im really happy for you...your experience is exemplary Im sure, me Im just a beginner, le

Posted Images

GBT62

I probably ought to have gone with a scooter option too :lol:

Instead, after a lot of time and little to do in lockdown, I sold off a few lesser-used toys like my Escooter and an exercise bike and other odds and sods ..... and had enough (almost) to pay cash during the 2 weeks of GCQ here in Cebu City that motorcycle dealers were allowed to open ....for my new temporary toy ...

I say temporary because there's a few new 2-wheeled options due this year I like the look of ... and I am yet to see how reliable a Rusi will be. Now if only I could go ride it ..... having no plates and not even an MV number yet ....am not game to try to guess whether I should ride it on Odd or Even days.    There's too many PNP and CCTO on the warpath in Labangon this week to risk it.

image.thumb.png.28737b126e4b8cf44f8fa78765c0fcb9.png

• Like 5
mistaeric

Nice bike

Edited by mistaeric
  • Like 1
mistaeric
On 6/24/2020 at 8:31 PM, Dafey said:

It's been over a year and my bike is well broken in. Thought it was time for a report. Bought this bike in March 2019.

2018 Yamaha Xmax 300

I finally admitted that my body is too worn and torn to ride a conventional motorcycle. After 52 years of straddling the horse I took my tax refund and purchased a new Xmax 300. This is not something I did on a whim as I’ve been looking for my upgrade options for over a year now and squirreling away my pesos for the day.

image.png.9c9de9dea953f539309dc9b7575470ba.png

Originally I was looking at the Dominar. This is a beautiful bike with lots of tech and at a very reasonable price. But the sitting position was not conducive to my knees and back and aggravates the numbness that we all suffer from in the right hand. (more so as we age)

The Bajaj Avenger was high on my list too as the sitting position is more along the lines of a cruiser and the bike itself is a really good value.

However, I kept coming back to Royal Enfield…to me this is one of the most nostalgic and sexy bikes available in the Philippines. The maintenance heavy Classic 350 is a beautiful bike and if taken care of will last for many decades. But… I want to ride…not do maintenance!

Living in the tropics makes me want to move to a water cooled bike and I am real tired of cleaning and oiling chains so after much study and comparison I opted for the 2018 Yamaha Xmax 300.

Why a 2018? Because 2019s were not available in the Philippines until after summer! Don’t ask me, the Phils gets last pick as far as shipping goes and with these things selling worldwide now, (as usual), we suck hind tit!

About the bike:

Engine Type

292cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, SOHC single cylinder; 4 valves

Bore x Stroke

70.2mm x 75.9mm

Compression Ratio

10.9:1

Fuel Delivery

Fuel Injection

Ignition

TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition

Transmission

Automatic CVT

Final Drive

V-Belt

Suspension / Front

33mm telescopic fork; 4.3-in travel

Suspension / Rear

Dual shocks; 3.1-in travel

Brakes / Front

Hydraulic disc, 267mm; ABS

Brakes / Rear

Hydraulic disc, 245mm; ABS

Tires / Front

120/70-15 Dunlop® Scoot Smart

Tires / Rear

140/70-14 Dunlop® Scoot Smart

L x W x H

86.0 in x 30.5 in x 55.7 in – 57.7 in

Seat Height

31.3 in

Wheelbase

60.6 in

Rake (Caster Angle)

26.5°

Trail

3.7 in

Maximum Ground Clearance

5.3 in

Fuel Capacity

3.4 gal

Fuel Economy**

75 mpg

Wet Weight***

397 lb

image.png.d09223944170e3d16f95d355bb94910b.png

image.thumb.png.8a3db51001f37559672a89a7143bb22f.png

There is so much technology packed in this bike it’s hard to believe they retail at 249K.

The antilock brakes were something I was looking forward to but it also was a little scary. After over 50 years of riding I didn’t trust them. After the break in period I found an open stretch and practiced with the antilock breaks. Now I wonder how I ever got along without them!

Fuel injection and traction control are both really cool features that come standard on this bike as well as 15 inch front tire and a 14 inch rear. Most scooters come with 13 inch wheels.

The bike is definitely heavy but that adds to the smooth ride and I feel it maneuvers well in traffic or cornering on these mountain roads. Also, the engine's low center of gravity makes it easy to balance at slow speeds. While the Aerox, it’s baby sister, is a better bike for pure city driving I would be happy to ride this in the city occasionally.

Automatic??? This is where I really had an adjustment to make! I always downshift to slow down and brakes on my bikes last a long time so losing this ability seemed like taking away my ‘feel’ of the road. However the engine drag when you let off the throttle is plenty to slow you down and those double disc brakes do the rest. While talking about the throttle it is really twitchy and is another adjustment that I am learning to deal with.

The seat and the sitting position is quite possibly the most comfortable I have ever had on a bike. It’s like sitting on a cushy chair in your living room. The ability to move my legs to multiple positions not only helps my knees and blood flow but also can adjust my upper body to follow and I find relief from numbness in the right hand. The passenger seat is like a sofa and I wouldn’t know my wife was on the back except for her direction as I drive!

image.thumb.png.467d0bd4a0a071b603a43d3dad7ce6d2.png

This is a keyless vehicle and you are given 1 remote/FOB that tells the bike it’s okay to operate when it is ‘in-range’ of the bike. (don't lock it in the seat compartment!) The main control is a knob that is between your knees on the front column. Push it and the bike powers up and allows you to unlock the seat, (which can hold 2 full face helmets and some gear), a lock box with a 12 volt power supply and the gas tank which is directly below the knob. Turn the switch again and the instruments cycle through their business and you are ready to push the kill switch on the handlebar which also starts your bike. After you’re done riding you can turn the handlebar all the way to the left and the knob will lock your steering.

image.thumb.png.28686d8b6f4c8c0ead212abc1b35ecf2.png

image.thumb.png.04c59a36c2b2f26ca535cd44132963d4.png

After the bike was broken in, (and my wife was not with me), I got to really put the Xmax through it’s moves. It is not a ‘Super’ fast bike but spunky enough to move quickly if you need to. It corners like a dream and rides smooth. Traction is also good even on rough province roads and on smooth pavement it feels like you're driving on butter.

I added a couple of options…roll bars to keep the body safe from bumps, an engine plate for protection on uneven surfaces, Back rack and a quick release 48 liter Top box. This bike is set up for long cruises now with plenty of storage space for my wife’s “stuff”!

So far I am well pleased with the Xmax.  It is by far the most comfortable, high tech bike I have ever owned. Do I feel like a sissy when I ride with the big Harley's and BMWs? Not when we get to our destination and they are complaining about sore backs and knees!

Two notes…I have a 31 inch inseam and have my toes and balls of my feet on the ground when stopped. If your inseam is less you may have an issue while stopping the bike. The advantage is that you sit very tall in the saddle. Almost eye level with a pickup truck. The high windshield does a lot to protect you from buffeting wind and in the rain my legs are protected and don’t get wet. Passenger is a different story.

And, the paint job is poor quality. I guess that's one of the ways they save money on production. No worries, already planning a high gloss hard as nails paint job.

Ride safe!

image.png.3a37209321e4fca4e3f0deb912e8aa95.png

Have you thought about getting your bike vinyl wrapped instead of painted? I got a quote for 9k to wrap a Nmax of any color in cebu city. Xmax is larger so probably higher cost.

• Like 1
SkyMan
20 minutes ago, mistaeric said:

Have you thought about getting your bike vinyl wrapped instead of painted? I got a quote for 9k to wrap a Nmax of any color in cebu city. Xmax is larger so probably higher cost.

I don't think those wraps are designed to last too long.  Perhaps there are different qualities but it seems most are made to look cool for a special event or something but don't last long after.  There's Lilo-an courtesy van that looked good at first but now it looks a wreck.  Of course, it has been banged up a bit too but the graphics are really faded, almost to unreadable.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
10 hours ago, mistaeric said:

Have you thought about getting your bike vinyl wrapped

Yes, good question. The vinyl wraps are gorgeous and easily done. The problem is as Skyman said they aren't that durable to wear and tear, from what I've read. There would be 9 pieces to wrap on the Xmax and I really think I could do that myself if I wanted so probably do it for a couple of thousand in materials.

The paint on the Xmax looks good and is a flat brown, (Bronze). I call it baby diaper. The problem is it rubs off easily. She has big hips and they come to a point where it is easily bumped. In the photos you'll see I put on a carbon fiber oblong plate, ordered from Lazada to protect those hips. However, they were not a perfect fit and I tried 2 sided tape, silicone glue and hot glue gun but they don't stay on. Stopped trying after a month and those points are already flaking baby diaper!

I have a nice air gun for automotive and will probably take the 9 pieces off and spray them with a hard as nails glossy. Would look sharp!

Here's a question for you guys:

If I change the color of my bike is it crazy hard to change it on the registration?

If I don't change color I might try to get this design on the front, side fairings

image.thumb.png.00a7ab1fd9887f8012740d4ffd3c9a25.png

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
On 6/25/2020 at 9:31 AM, Dafey said:

I added a couple of options…roll bars to keep the body safe from bumps, an engine plate for protection on uneven surfaces, Back rack and a quick release 48 liter Top box. This bike is set up for long cruises now with plenty of storage space for my wife’s “stuff”!

Here is a photo of the engine plate. A good investment for these province roads.

image.thumb.png.d80d79dfaa2c9834426973d382423a4c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan

Google Maps in the RP....

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Google Maps in the RP....

My butt was all puckered up watching!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SkyMan

117909424_321310255686837_67609214710286

btw APOR is Authorized person outside residence.  In other words, someone with a QP.  Looks like the driver isn't required to have a QP.

But there is also this depending on your location...

118252512_3273157579394162_5509487713388

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Dafey

New full-face helmet requirement

Motorcycle riders on Tuesday expressed their frustration with the new full-face helmet requirement set by the government, saying that this was an additional expense amid the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.

According to Jun Venaracion’s report on “24 Oras,” motorcyclists complained that they had already spent what money they had on the protective barrier requirement, which authorities later withdrew for riders living in the same household.

“Ang mahal kasi ng helmet ngayon, sir… ‘Yung barrier kasi bili ko P650 din ‘yun,” one rider said.

“Ngayon, sa helmet naman gagastos na naman kami,” her companion added.

In Manila's Quiapo district, helmet prices ranged from P500 to P2,000, depending on the kind of helmet and its quality.

Motorcycle rider Edelyn Ayuda, who previously bought a protective shield for P650, wished that protocols were not constantly evolving given the present difficult circumstances.

Meanwhile, wearing a face shield with a helmet instead of a visor was still not allowed.

Violators would be ticketed and fined P1,000.

However, Joint Task Force COVID Shield commander Police Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar clarified that pillion passengers were only required to have a helmet with a full-face visor, though a full-face helmet would also be acceptable.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/new-full-face-helmet-requirement-expense-exasperates-motorcyclists/ar-BB18lZB7?ocid=msedgdhp

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • 2 months later...
mistaeric
On 8/31/2020 at 5:51 PM, Dafey said:

Did you ever get your Xmax painted?

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
11 hours ago, mistaeric said:

Did you ever get your Xmax painted?

No. Haven't decided what to do yet. New prepainted plastic molded covers or paint the originals. Also, I'm in the province so limited to options. Going to wait at least until Mud Season is over and maybe even another year.

• Like 1