Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Buy Nano SIM card in Cebu or before leaving?

Voyager39

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a nano SIM card, and operates on Cricket - a subsidiary of AT&T.  I'm trying to find out whether I am likely to be able buy a nano SIM card in Cebu to operate on the local network.  A related question is whether there would be an advantage in buying a nano SIM card while still at home and using it to sign up for local service later, once I arrive in Cebu.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Davaoeno

The new sim cards are in 3 pieces fastened together so you just remove any part that is larger than the size that you need.

Smart tricut (regular/mirco/nano) simcard fit in any cellphone,tablet expiration 2018-march good for GPP iphone use

Edited by Davaoeno

Woolf
8 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Smart tricut (regular/mirco/nano) simcard fit in any cellphone,tablet expiration 2018-march good for GPP iphone use

Same for GLOBE

As you exit customs, you will see bot SMART and Globe booths selling sim's

They cost 40 php, they may over charge by 10 php but well, you can buy load also

you will find ATM there so you can get php there if you do not have

PS   hope your phone is not provider locked

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Enuff
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha with a nano SIM card, and operates on Cricket - a subsidiary of AT&T.  I'm trying to find out whether I am likely to be able buy a nano SIM card in Cebu to operate on the local network.  A related question is whether there would be an advantage in buying a nano SIM card while still at home and using it to sign up for local service later, once I arrive in Cebu.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can get a decent smart phone from cherry mobile for p2999, and unlimited text, calls and wifi for a month from globe for p1349. If coming for 1 month p4348 is a steal. ($83.60 usd)

https://cherrymobile.com.ph/view/flare-s6-plus

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

3383141015610b3d699fb305e9bfd58b.jpg

TequilaSunset

I have a dual SIM Zen phone and I buy my Globe card on Ebay. Great convenience to have load and the phone ready before I land 

• Like 1

Enuff
I have a dual SIM Zen phone and I buy my Globe card on Ebay. Great convenience to have load and the phone ready before I land 
Haha yes but you don't get to chat with the girls at cherry mobile or globe

Networking son, networking

• Like 2

TequilaSunset
Just now, Enuff said:

Haha yes but you don't get to chat with the girls at cherry mobile or globe

Networking son, networking

GF has a network, I would get cut!

Woolf
7 minutes ago, Enuff said:

unlimited text, calls and wifi

Unlimited WIFI  ?????

I have unlimited WIFI when I am within reach of my routers, some malls have free WIFI

out in the open there is no WIFI

Woolf
19 minutes ago, Enuff said:

and unlimited text, calls and wifi for a month from globe for p1349

and unlimited text, calls and wifi datafor a month from globe for p1349

I would like to see a link to that plan

Enuff
54 minutes ago, Woolf said:

and unlimited text, calls and wifi datafor a month from globe for p1349

I would like to see a link to that plan

sorry, unlimited text to any network and unlimited calls for globe is p350 monthly

the data plan is either 8gb for a month or 800mb daily,both are p999 monthyl

Woolf
3 minutes ago, Enuff said:

the data plan is either 8gb for a month or 800mb daily,both are p999 monthyl

https://www.globe.com.ph/prepaid/promos/gosurf?jsid=85BE89B6AC90B65693C054E18A903123.41519701363944

gosurf 50 is  the best data plan 1GB data & unli all net txt 50 php

that is 20 GB for 1000

only draw back, you have to load every 3 days

Here is the same for SMART

https://smart.com.ph/prepaid/promos/type/data?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzO2_m5PF2QIVChC9Ch2h1wMYEAAYASAAEgLXSfD_BwE

smart giga50.png

• Like 1

Woolf

If you need to make calls

then SMART utc100 looks good

smart uct100.png

smokey

I have used globe 4 years as I was leaving I signed up for roaming as I fad a few thousand in load on my phone.  They said when you land in usa we will send you a text. 00000 I had no phone when I landed 

CommanderData
53 minutes ago, smokey said:

I have used globe 4 years as I was leaving I signed up for roaming as I fad a few thousand in load on my phone.  They said when you land in usa we will send you a text. 00000 I had no phone when I landed 

Yep Globe are definitely bad for this.

My girlfriend signed up for international roaming with her prepaid Globe SIM and loaded up good before our trip to Hong Kong last month. Same issue as you, supposed to get a text on landing, never did. Never could connect to any of the cell providers in HK, we manually selected each carrier in the settings to test.

My iPhone worked fine with USA SIM roaming. Globe left her identical model iPhone useless until we returned to Cebu.

---

Related to SIMs for use in Cebu, I'd agree its probably simpler to get one and load it up at the Airport on arrival.

A final suggestion would be get a T-Mobile One plan in the USA (have free unlimited 2G data in 120+ countries), or for Android fans, get a Google FI plan which is reasonably priced per GB worldwide use.