Your favorite Mid-Rats?

2 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

Ha ha...He meant berthing area. I used to see the Chauvenet in Subic a lot. I was stationed on two MSC ships in Subic.

I wasn't playing  spelling police - I didn't even notice error - OR maybe it wasn't.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• sugbu777

• Headshot

• Mr. Mike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr. Mike got me thinking about old Navy days with his post. Hey fellow squids....what was your favorite (or your worse) mid-rats underway? My favorite: Ravioli (the stuff in the 5 gallon cans)

68 Chulai - couldn't leave flight line  - cold white bread w/ a square of mystery cheese on it warm cool-aid - when they had fried chicken we've get some to go before starting shift Had a full bi

I remember C rats out in the field , the good folks at R.J Reynolds figured it would be a good idea to include a small pack of cigarettes in each C-rat box ,, i didn't smoke , but that was the best tr

Posted Images

Humboldt
41 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

Ha ha...He meant berthing area. I used to see the Chauvenet in Subic a lot. I was stationed on two MSC ships in Subic.

I was Also MSC spent time in Subic , early 80s Merchant Marines didn't make it to far outside of the main gate ,, use to drink at the hole in the wall ,, 30m from gate .

9 minutes ago, Humboldt said:

I was Also MSC spent time in Subic , early 80s Merchant Marines didn't make it to far outside of the main gate ,, use to drink at the hole in the wall ,, 30m from gate .

FIL was MM WWII  - his ships hit twice

sugbu777
1 hour ago, Humboldt said:

use to drink at the hole in the wall ,, 30m from gate .

Early '80s I was on the Navasota as part of the MILDEP. I know the "Hole In The Wall" all too well. RM's from different ships would meet there early in the  morning prior to getting underway and challenge each other drinking. Needless to say, comms was pretty screwed up the first hours after shifting colors.

I guess in hindsight beer and mojo was our favorite mid-rats :P

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 1
RogerDat

1sos.jpg.18f8bfff25b00e4f47a06ffb5ef5b711.jpg    

I guess they mean showing up for a party, or a fight.

Edited by RogerDat
  • Haha 2
Headshot
1 hour ago, RogerDat said:

1sos.jpg.18f8bfff25b00e4f47a06ffb5ef5b711.jpg    

I guess they mean showing up for a party, or a fight.

...or chow.

• Like 1
Soupeod
11 hours ago, lamoe said:

FIL was MM WWII  - his ships hit twice

Machinist Mate or Merchant Marines? I am not good with acronyms.

Navy chow was horrible at Naval EOD Technical Center (NAVEODTECH) center anytime of the day.   Now the Army chow at Huntville, AL was the best chow I ever ate out of the Air Force, Army and Navy.

Edited by soupeod
1 hour ago, soupeod said:

Machinist Mate or Merchant Marines? I am not good with acronyms.

Navy chow was horrible at Naval EOD Technical Center (NAVEODTECH) center anytime of the day.   Now the Army chow at Huntville, AL was the best chow I ever ate out of the Air Force, Army and Navy.

"I was Also MSC spent time in Subic , early 80s Merchant Marines didn't make it to far outside of the main gate "

Merchant Marines

• Thanks 1
Humboldt
20 hours ago, sugbu777 said:

Early '80s I was on the Navasota as part of the MILDEP. I know the "Hole In The Wall" all too well. RM's from different ships would meet there early in the  morning prior to getting underway and challenge each other drinking. Needless to say, comms was pretty screwed up the first hours after shifting colors.

I guess in hindsight beer and mojo was our favorite mid-rats :P

Yes i remember the mojos ,& the  Navasota , i was on the Hassayampa Oiler , i carried my favorite rats onboard and used then for gambling tokens lol , went back to working Naval Shipyard like being a free bird after the 5 o'clock whistle 

LechonBuddha

The worst mid-rats were  Canned Tamales -- simply pathetic! The best you could hope for was Chili Mac. Doused with enough Texas Pete it somehow became Navy comfort food.

• Like 1