Your favorite Mid-Rats?

4 minutes ago, Humboldt said:

I remember C rats out in the field , the good folks at R.J Reynolds figured it would be a good idea to include a small pack of cigarettes in each C-rat box ,, i didn't smoke , but that was the best tradable item in the box ...

Didn't smoke before boot camp  - those who did got to stay up and outside in evening Long Beach CA spring time - I bought a carton -would stand there just holding it - D.I. noticed made me smoke 2 every time the "smoking lamp was lit"

40 years later after a stroke - stopped cold turkey - never any spots or lesions on lungs

http://www.americainwwii.com/articles/smoke-em-if-you-got-em/

The extent of the consequences of smoking would not come to full light until years after all those GIs returned home addicted to cigarettes. “I’m going to sue the government!” joked WWII veteran Walter Berns of the American Enterprise Institute. “That’s when I started smoking.” That was true for many, and according to some sources, cigarette smoking jumped 75 percent in the United States from 1940 to 1945 with the average annual consumption hitting a heart-stopping 3,500 cigarettes per person. It was no joke.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• sugbu777

• Headshot

• Mr. Mike

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr. Mike got me thinking about old Navy days with his post. Hey fellow squids....what was your favorite (or your worse) mid-rats underway? My favorite: Ravioli (the stuff in the 5 gallon cans)

68 Chulai - couldn't leave flight line  - cold white bread w/ a square of mystery cheese on it warm cool-aid - when they had fried chicken we've get some to go before starting shift Had a full bi

I remember C rats out in the field , the good folks at R.J Reynolds figured it would be a good idea to include a small pack of cigarettes in each C-rat box ,, i didn't smoke , but that was the best tr

Posted Images

RogerDat

At Hurlbert Field FL, Air commando wing, we had a 4 time Hennessy Award winning Chow Hall. We had Spanish omelets, ( with salsa, cheese, and ground beef , mushrooms)  breakfast, and mids, also the best SOS I have ever tasted. Every so often they would serve half a lobster, and steak. I did not eat lobster back then, so never tasted it. The liver, with onions was very good, we would all eat that. The gristle steaks were so tough, they put them thru a tenderizer machine and it stretched them out thin, still half was too tough to eat. i have searched for over 10 years for their recipe for SOS, no luck.

Only spot I had access to midrats was in NASNI San Diego, after drinking at the onbase boweling alley or out in Imperial Beach we'd get hamburgers and french fries.

But my best meals were on the USNS Chauvenet hands down my first tour of duty out in this area.

Edited by M.C.A.
Meals on ship
Semper paratus

You lucky guys had cooks ? After the 4 months of boot camp I never saw a chow hall again. We got $70.00 a month subsistence pay to buy and cook our own food. That was it until my 4 years was up. After buying beer there wasn't much left for food. 

Jim_in_Jax
15 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

After buying beer there wasn't much left for food. 

You'll be happy to know then, beer is classified as food.

Semper paratus
11 minutes ago, Jim_in_Jax said:

You'll be happy to know then, beer is classified as food.

Then I sure was well fed. 

• Haha 1
Headshot
2 hours ago, Humboldt said:

I remember C rats out in the field , the good folks at R.J Reynolds figured it would be a good idea to include a small pack of cigarettes in each C-rat box ,, i didn't smoke , but that was the best tradable item in the box ...

I had LURP rations in the field ... mostly freeze-dried rice and shrimp, seasoned with a good shot of Tabasco sauce. There were no cigarettes. Eating those rats was why it was so important for me to bulk up whenever I was where the chow halls were. I would lose over ten pounds every time I went in-country (in about a week usually).

Headshot
1 hour ago, RogerDat said:

At Hurlbert Field FL, Air commando wing

When were you there? We were a detachment of 1SOW (formerly 1ACW). We did our training over on the east side of the Eglin Reservation in a place called Round Hill (if I remember correctly), and then we were split out on five different bases, so I never ate at the Hurlbert Chow Hall.

Edited by Headshot
RogerDat

1970-1972, C123, AC119, AC130 A, E, and H models for US, also training for A1E/H Skyraders, OV10's, and T 28. for Vietnam AF. We also had an O2 Bird dog with pontoons.

Headshot
29 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

1970-1972, C123, AC119, AC130 A, E, and H models for US, also training for A1E/H Skyraders, OV10's, and T 28. for Vietnam AF. We also had an O2 Bird dog with pontoons.

Very interesting. So, it was actually 1SOW when you were there, right? It was re-designated from 1ACW to 1SOW on 8 July 1968, and stayed that way until 1974, when it was re-designated again. I was a member of 1SOW, Air Force Scouts (detached). When I started my training, it was 1ACW, but by the time we were finished, it was 1SOW. I was in until November 1971, so we were in the same wing. My dad flew AC-119 (Stingers) (also 1SOW) over Laos and Vietnam between early 1972 and early 1973, finally giving their aircraft to the South Vietnamese Air Force, which burned them to make sure they didn't fall into communist hands in 1975. The Air Force waited until I got out (and was no longer going into Laos) before they assigned my dad to AC-119's (because of the sole surviving son law).

• Like 1
sugbu777
15 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

But my best meals were on the USNS Chauvenet hands down my first tour of duty out in this area.

USNS Chauvenet..."Survey by Braille"

2 hours ago, sugbu777 said:

USNS Chauvenet..."Survey by Braille"

I was a Helicopter Rescue Crewmen so basically we transported cargo and set up sights on extremly remote sights just like Gilligans Island.

Lobster and steak frequently was on the menu and BBQ's/snorkeling on a remote beach once every blue moon, girls on the ship and same birthing area, that was my first tour.

3 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

I was a Helicopter Rescue Crewmen so basically we transported cargo and set up sights on extremly remote sights just like Gilligans Island.

Lobster and steak frequently was on the menu and BBQ's/snorkeling on a remote beach once every blue moon, girls on the ship and same birthing area, that was my first tour.

My attempt at humor

" girls on the ship and same birthing area ?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, lamoe said:

My attempt at humor

" girls on the ship and same birthing area ?"

I had to read this several times. I thought you were talking about a maternity ward on board  .  But then I have only heard rumors about what goes on aboard a US Navy ship .

• Like 1
sugbu777

Ha ha...He meant berthing area. I used to see the Chauvenet in Subic a lot. I was stationed on two MSC ships in Subic.

• Thanks 1