Your favorite Mid-Rats?

sugbu777

Mr. Mike got me thinking about old Navy days with his post. Hey fellow squids....what was your favorite (or your worse) mid-rats underway?

My favorite: Ravioli (the stuff in the 5 gallon cans) :P

least favorite: Hot dogs with a green tint rolling around in nasty water in the chafing pan. :sick:

• Like 3
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• sugbu777

• Headshot

• Humboldt

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr. Mike got me thinking about old Navy days with his post. Hey fellow squids....what was your favorite (or your worse) mid-rats underway? My favorite: Ravioli (the stuff in the 5 gallon cans)

68 Chulai - couldn't leave flight line  - cold white bread w/ a square of mystery cheese on it warm cool-aid - when they had fried chicken we've get some to go before starting shift Had a full bi

I remember C rats out in the field , the good folks at R.J Reynolds figured it would be a good idea to include a small pack of cigarettes in each C-rat box ,, i didn't smoke , but that was the best tr

Posted Images

Headshot

By mid-rats, I suppose you mean midnight chow? We had the same in the Air Force, but it was as much breakfast foods as supper foods. My favorite was SOL (biscuits with country gravy), buttered grits, an omelet with everything, and lots of OJ. A lot of my training was done at night (early morning hours), so I had access to midnight chow at the mess hall. I seldom chose anything else, so I didn't develop a least-favorite list.

• Like 2
sugbu777
3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

By mid-rats, I suppose you mean midnight chow? We had the same in the Air Force, but it was as much breakfast foods as supper foods. My favorite was SOL (biscuits with country gravy), buttered grits, an omelet with everything, and lots of OJ. A lot of my training was done at night (early morning hours), so I had access to midnight chow at the mess hall. I seldom chose anything else, so I didn't develop a least-favorite list.

Yep...Mid-Rats (Midnight Rations) was the same as midnight chow. We never had anything as extravagant as you just mentioned above. Ours was usually leftovers from the previous days meals. Life on a Tin-Can.

• Like 2
Mr. Mike

Mine were usually leftovers from dinner...Pretty good actually. Midrats were really meant for the on coming mid watch....but no one paid attention to that.

Nothing fancy....open faced beef slices on bread with canned gravy....SOS on toast....cooks did the best they could considering they had to get up and start all over again at 04:00.

On a small two company base in West Germany all we had at night was our vending machine. Bud and Miller were 35 cents. Heineken was 25 cents. No food in that machine, or soda. LOL 

• Like 3

68 Chulai - couldn't leave flight line  - cold white bread w/ a square of mystery cheese on it warm cool-aid - when they had fried chicken we've get some to go before starting shift

Had a full bird come by late one night  to share meal with the snuffies. Suspect someone had mentioned he might want to.

Next night - on site toasted bread w/ sliced cold chicken  and cold water / hot coffee  - never had a Gunny and LT serve me food before.

By end of week had a field hot  kitchen (suspect they got  from the Navy Swift Boats- they had the best food / prep equipment) - not prepared on site  - that was dome back at mess hall  - but kept hot / cold - non-duty  guys started showing up - they'd hit E club then stop by for snack - started running out until login required

• Like 3
sugbu777
16 minutes ago, Mr. Mike said:

Mine were usually leftovers from dinner...Pretty good actually. Midrats were really meant for the on coming mid watch....but no one paid attention to that.

Nothing fancy....open faced beef slices on bread with canned gravy....SOS on toast....cooks did the best they could considering they had to get up and start all over again at 04:00.

SOS...I did like that too...but better when made with the chipped beef instead hamburger meat.

I don't know why, but the canned ravioli was my favorite.

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

...........those were the days guys....but I would not trade them for anything.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1
colemanlee

SOS with out a doubt

• Like 2

Best night / evening rats were  near the end of tour - got to talking with a  member of Swift Boat on flight back from Danang - about food served - made a deal

When it was my turn to provide base maintenance from our hut -  I was on night mess duty (cleaning out reefers - large walk ins - we actually paid for that duty) so what if a couple of cases of steaks  / gallons of ice cream when missing?

Some when to our hut, some sold to SNCO Club / traded for booze - some whet to Swift Boat - their chief (not a cook) would make pies (yes pies, cakes, cookies, etc) , other GREAT food and share

Not what is cooked  - it's how it's cooked.

• Like 2
sugbu777

Knox class Frigate mess deck....no omelets here :rofl:. Did have powdered eggs and "Daisy milk" though

knox class frigate mess deck.jpg

Edited by sugbu777
  • Like 1
Headshot
42 minutes ago, Mr. Mike said:

Omelets???? .....WTH is that?

I soon learned that omelets and country gravy on biscuits were the two things that Air Force cooks could do right. Omelets were only available at midnight chow because the cooks were too busy to do that for the regular breakfast crowd. Anyway, a buddy turned me on to them at midnight chow, and I seldom missed them. Then, I would go out and sneak around in the forest and swamps for five or six hours (point A to point B compass and map routes in the dark) before I did my five-mile run and spent some time at the long rifle range. After that, I went to the chow hall again and went about my business.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

Knox class Frigate mess deck....no omelets here :rofl:. Did have powdered eggs and "Daisy milk" though

knox class frigate mess deck.jpg

In the Navy size does matter?

• Like 1
Humboldt

I remember C rats out in the field , the good folks at R.J Reynolds figured it would be a good idea to include a small pack of cigarettes in each C-rat box ,, i didn't smoke , but that was the best tradable item in the box ...

• Like 3