Wood type and value?

The inlaws house got destroyed by a flash flood and hit with some large trees which they can legally keep.  I am not there to look at this but was told that the wood is very hard.  Anyone want to take a guess at type of wood and value.  The only thing I am sure of it is not coconut ;)

They were offered 300p a board for the wood.  I told them no way no how!  Better to keep it for cabinets and such in the new house.  

aaa.PNG

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Hard to say but looks like Nara wood. Very hard and used around the house for door jams, furniture and anything you don't want termites to get into. Very important whatever it is to get it up off the ground and dry it out quickly. If it's moist/wet the termites can chomp it.

If they are not going to use it promptly I might consider taking the money that was offered. If it is not protected from the environment the bugs will get to it quite fast.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Hard to say but looks like Nara wood. Very hard and used around the house for door jams, furniture and anything you don't want termites to get into. Very important whatever it is to get it up off the ground and dry it out quickly. If it's moist/wet the termites can chomp it.

If they are not going to use it promptly I might consider taking the money that was offered. If it is not protected from the environment the bugs will get to it quite fast.

Good point on getting it up off the ground.  They have a coconut oven and Im thinking it should dried in there.  I am 100% certain that the wood could not be replaced for 300p each so am against selling.    Thanks.

• Like 1
BossHog

My best guess is the boards on the left are yakal (Shorea astylosa). On the top right looks like very old red coconut lumber.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, BossHog said:

My best guess is the boards on the left are yakal (Shorea astylosa). On the top right looks like very old red coconut lumber.

Thanks, they may have mixed some coconut in there? 

Edited by Dafey

You seem to have a mix of woods there.  Some looks like narra or some other hardwood.  However, some is coco lumber and worth next to nothing.  

I have some older tugas wood planks I save from an old house flooring. In terms of value, can’t be replaced from local sources, thanks to the Japanese. Even so, the wood has sat in our storage  for more than 15years, awaiting the project we want done.  

If I were building shelves in a house, I’d probably use plywood with edging and painted.  Hardwoods I save for nicer furniture.

As far as value, keep in mind the value includes the grain appearance as well as dimensions and if it is finished.  The wood appears to be the usual chainsaw variety.

• Like 1
BossHog

Actually had my chainsaw guy come look at the picture since he's here today anyways and on morning coffee break.. He says 300 each for the two boards on the left is fair market value.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 3
RogerDat

That's what they make electric plains, and orbital sanders for. Be sure to have a 3m dust mask that seals good as the dust from them hardwoods is rough on the lungs.

Out of curiosity I looked up Nara wood price.  It appears to be 122p for board foot.  Odd that the price in the PI's would be per board foot.  Does not say if finished or rough cut price.

Davaoeno
21 minutes ago, Jester said:

Odd that the price in the PI's would be per board foot. 

I'm not sure why you find that odd. My wife is 4'10" and 39 kgs .   And that is the normal way they measure people here .:P

• Like 1
Headshot
4 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I'm not sure why you find that odd. My wife is 4'10" and 39 kgs .   And that is the normal way they measure people here .:P

So ... she's just a foot or so taller than you are?  :cool:

• Haha 1