Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Strategy to Search for Firm Bed in Hotel

lamoe
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

You don't. Paddy was overshooting the mark a bit. You can get normal amenities at most places in the $45 to $55 a night range. That would include hot water and clean sheets. If bugs are an issue where you are staying, then you need to move fast (or they will infest your luggage). Rooms in that range are generally clean and fairly well-kept. Those hotels will also usually have an in-house restaurant of some sort for those times when you don't want to go out. Some even have nice pools.

Mandarin - was - 60 K / mo =  $38.50 / day, when I stayed there last year - decent huge breakfast buffet - good sized room - so so pool - hotel resto food was good and not too expensive - across street from Ayala Mall / jeepny / van terminal

• Like 1

Paddy
15 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

basic cleanliness

Headshot was partially right - but I was actually referring to the cleanliness of the airconditioning units - not cleanliness in general. As ever, the devil is in the details. In the larger municipal areas you'll have good choices at reasonable rates and better if you're willing to pay for it. Once out in the countryside, you might need to be a little less "selective". 

My experience in the Philippines suggests two things - indoor and front yard cleanliness is important (outside of those spaces a lot less so) and "routine" maintenance is anything but routine, if it is thought of at all.

Paddy
15 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

the low prices for other products and services

Labour, local foods and tobacco etc. can be considered low cost. Many products are Made in China and are also low cost (and often low quality). Real estate and housing costs can be cheaper, but there are many things in the Philippines where the costs are equivalent to western countries. Cars, gasoline, electricity etc. I used to think a 6:1 cost of living ratio (western:philippines) was about right (I'm not convinced of that any longer). However, unless you plan to live more like the local population, expect your costs to trend closer to western costs.

samatm
16 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

Thanks. I will check them out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

If you like close quarters and having to pay extra for a towel...you will love the RP.....oh and be sure to run down the hall if you need call the frontdesk as there are no phones in the rooms..    ps  not a fan

lopburi3
5 hours ago, samatm said:

If you like close quarters and having to pay extra for a towel...you will love the RP.....oh and be sure to run down the hall if you need call the frontdesk as there are no phones in the rooms..    ps  not a fan

And the lack of toilet (bidet) spray - and that does not seem based on quality/price of hotel.  Some have and others do not.  

Davaoeno
5 hours ago, samatm said:

Most RP packages include everything that you need. And if you need to call the front desk you just use your smart phone and the app they give you on check in .

Next problem ?

No fan needed- they have excellent air con .

When they were Tune Hotel [ before getting sold to Red Planet] they were always my go to hotel.  Now i tend not to use them because they raised their rates - but they are still a lot less than $100 a night 

lopburi3
24 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Most RP packages include everything that you need. And if you need to call the front desk you just use your smart phone and the app they give you on check in .

Why should I have to have or learn how to use a smart phone - all I want to do is call using a real phone.

Image result for telephone

Davaoeno
Just now, lopburi3 said:

Why should I have to have or learn how to use a smart phone - all I want to do is call using a real phone.

Image result for telephone

Excellent comment !!  I totally agree with you .  [ brb- i have to go put more wood on the fire to heat my bath water ! ]

Enuff

I am trying to work out a way to search for hotel reviews that indicate the presence of a firm bed in a hotel. So far, I've done google searches for hotels, i.d. of a city, and the words "firm" and "bed". It's worked ok, but am wondering whether anyone here has any other suggestions. Some time back, I tried searching on Airbnb and could not find a way to search for text strings in the various advertisements.
Extra points if anyone can identify any hotels in Cebu that stock air mattresses such as the Air Number beds from Select Comfort. I tried googling for that, so far without success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

I find to higher end hotels use good quality mattresses but are too soft for me. I have found some of the less expensive places use a simple 6" foam mattress and a bamboo bed frame. It's exactly what I sleep on now. It's not unusual for me to sleep 8+ hours here with word on set to 25c/77f.

In USA I rarely sleep more than 6 hours and need room at 21c/70f. Still not the same.

Whatever you do, only book 1 night at a time, until you find the right bed. Maybe some hotels will even let you look before you stay.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lopburi3
1 hour ago, RangerUp said:

Select an international hotel like The Radisson or Movenpick, they know what they're doing (even in Cebu).

Both of which would be well above what poster intends to pay and in the case of Movenpick on the other side of the airport.  They may be fine for the expense account but probably not first choice for most people actually footing the bill.  

Headshot

When you visit or move to a back water country like the Philippines, you need to be able to accept most things for what they are. I would never open up an AC unit in a hotel to see if it is sparkling clean. I wouldn't do that in the US either. Why? Because likely it's not. Maintenance like that only gets done periodically, so if there isn't a smell, then I am OK with it. On rooms, if they are clean, don't look worn, don't smell, don't have bugs, and have water and towels, then I am generally OK with them. Others may have different standards.

And you might as well accept that the Philippines is a dumping ground for everything China manufactures that isn't good enough to be accepted in developed countries ... even if it has a brand name on it. You might as well accept it because there is no alternative in most cases. It isn't like there are Philippine national agencies testing products for quality. That doesn't happen here, which is why quality is generally lower. Why else do they always check products in the store before it goes out of the door? It is very difficult to return anything for a refund here because they know it worked when it was sold. They checked it. Therefore, if it doesn't work now, YOU must have broke it.

• Thanks 1

lopburi3
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

It isn't like there are Philippine national agencies testing products for quality. That doesn't happen here, which is why quality is generally lower. Why else do they always check products in the store before it goes out of the door?

Actually find most such checks seem to be designed more to instruct buyer on how to unpack/plugin and use items.  Most shoppers are not big on reading instruction manuals.  

to_dave007
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎26 at 10:53 AM, Voyager39 said:

, I am surprised to hear that one has to pay $100/night to get basic cleanliness. 

Do you care about little 3 inch lizards running around on the walls in your room?

Maybe even close to your head or your toes.

Edited by to_dave007

lopburi3

Who in Asia is afraid of a little house lizard?  They will do there best to avoid you but will help with bug and insect control.  

Related image

• Like 1

Headshot
3 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Do you care about little 3 inch lizards running around on the walls in your room?

Maybe even close to your head or your toes.

I encourage geckos living in my house. They eat mosquitoes and other little insect critters.

• Confused 1