Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Strategy to Search for Firm Bed in Hotel

Voyager39

I am trying to work out a way to search for hotel reviews that indicate the presence of a firm bed in a hotel. So far, I've done google searches for hotels, i.d. of a city, and the words "firm" and "bed". It's worked ok, but am wondering whether anyone here has any other suggestions. Some time back, I tried searching on Airbnb and could not find a way to search for text strings in the various advertisements.

Extra points if anyone can identify any hotels in Cebu that stock air mattresses such as the Air Number beds from Select Comfort. I tried googling for that, so far without success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Jawny

I always book, when possible, a room with two beds. I did this because many times a room would have a soft or noisy frame.  Having two beds to choose from did increase the odds of getting a good bed. Another choice is to have a sheet of 4x8 plywood in your luggage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Salty Dog
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

...Another choice is to have a sheet of 4x8 plywood in your luggage. 

Who is this and what have you done with Jawny...:huh:

• Like 1

Paddy

Unless you're planning on staying exclusively at high end hotels and resorts, the chances of finding a firm bed are good. The average bed seems to be a flat wooden platform with a 4 inch thick foam mattress - especially out in the boonies. 

• Like 3

RogerDat

Or just put the mattress on the floor.

• Like 1

rep1

Or put comforter?

• Like 1

RogerDat

We B in Philippines, not Korea.

Voyager39
Unless you're planning on staying exclusively at high end hotels and resorts, the chances of finding a firm bed are good. The average bed seems to be a flat wooden platform with a 4 inch thick foam mattress - especially out in the boonies. 
One pet peeve of mine about hotel reviews is reading that the bed was "comfortable," which seems to be the most common bed review adjective on the review sites. This doesn't help, since tastes in firmness vary so widely.

Paddy
10 hours ago, Voyager39 said:

One pet peeve of mine about hotel reviews is reading that the bed was "comfortable," which seems to be the most common bed review adjective on the review sites. This doesn't help, since tastes in firmness vary so widely.

Seriously Voyager39, unless you are looking exclusively at places that run US$100+ per night, you're going to end up with more peeves than "comfortable" beds. You can get hot water in the shower below US$100 per night - but don't bet on it. You'll get aircon at a lot less than US$100 per night but it might not have been cleaned in years. Stairs instead of elevators, insects, noise, plastic chairs...and so on. It's way more fun in the Philippines!

Dafey

Cebu Pension Plaza...Hot water, AC, firm bed, free breakfast, and clean 1,300 PHP, ($23 US)

Paddy
Just now, Dafey said:

firm bed

And I'll bet it's comfortable too :)

But I agree - you can find some quite reasonable places that are nice. 

• Like 1

Voyager39
Seriously Voyager39, unless you are looking exclusively at places that run US$100+ per night, you're going to end up with more peeves than "comfortable" beds. You can get hot water in the shower below US$100 per night - but don't bet on it. You'll get aircon at a lot less than US$100 per night but it might not have been cleaned in years. Stairs instead of elevators, insects, noise, plastic chairs...and so on. It's way more fun in the Philippines!
Thanks for your comment. I have not heard this before. In view the low prices for other products and services one hears about in the P.I., I am surprised to hear that one has to pay $100/night to get basic cleanliness. Given that I would like to avoid the peeves you mention, do you have any recommendations? I can pay $100 a night but haven't been looking in that price range as I didn't know I had to.

Davaoeno
7 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

do you have any recommendations?

stay at the Red Planet hotels - everywhere in the Philippines .  [ I just got back from Malaysia where they are still the Tune Hotels. ]

Voyager39
stay at the Red Planet hotels - everywhere in the Philippines .  [ I just got back from Malaysia where they are still the Tune Hotels. ]
Thanks. I will check them out.

Headshot
8 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

I am surprised to hear that one has to pay $100/night to get basic cleanliness.

You don't. Paddy was overshooting the mark a bit. You can get normal amenities at most places in the $45 to $55 a night range. That would include hot water and clean sheets. If bugs are an issue where you are staying, then you need to move fast (or they will infest your luggage). Rooms in that range are generally clean and fairly well-kept. Those hotels will also usually have an in-house restaurant of some sort for those times when you don't want to go out. Some even have nice pools.

• Like 1