Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Online Travel Agent for Hotel Shopping

Voyager39

Do the board members have any recommendations for agent/broker sites to use for booking hotel rooms. It seems like that could provide one-stop shopping to look for the best fit.

I've recently read articles warning travelers away from online agency sites when shopping for air travel, but don't know whether that warning applies to hotel rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

newtocebu

I use Hotels.com for most of my bookings

Their website is easy to navigate and I find that their pricing is consistently amongst the lowest 

They also have a good rewards program - 1 night free for every 10 nights booked (and stay completed)

Headshot

I use hotel.com often, but trivago.com will get you a better selection and better prices. Anything that is on hotel.com is also on trivago, plus the results from several other discounters. Whichever discounter has the lowest price for a given hotel will show up in the trivago box.

Jawny

I don’t have a specific online booking agent to recommend.  I have often used the direct booking of the hotel chain I prefer.  For example, Marriott, Radisson, etc.  They give decent rates, but obviously limit your choice to themselves.  

What i have discovered is some of the online agents have strict booking requirements which may lead to a cancellation fee as much as the cost of one night.  I mention this, since there is a work around for some.  Call the hotel directly.  The rate may be higher, but some hotels will take the phone reservation sans credit card.  The Quest hotel manager told me this was an option.

if you have the time, you may want to search the archives of LinC. There are many threads with hotel reviews as well as good and bad experiences.

Some of the hotel reviews are misleading when seen by the online reviewer.  LinC members tend to be brutally honest about the hotel and other travel details.

For example, some hotels will boast of "walking distance¿ from a shopping mall, but fail to mention the walk includes a lot of traffic or passing through some undesirable areas.

Davaoeno
3 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Call the hotel directly.  The rate may be higher,

Occasionally the hotel will surprise you and offer a lower rate. Not often but sometimes

Jawny

One more detail I just recalled.  If you have made an online reservation and need to change it, the hotel may not be able to help you but rather require that you make the change with the online system. Not a problem if you have access to the internet.  So, come prepared or quickly be able to have internet access.  Another topic.

Davaoeno

Several times i have been staying at a hotel pursuant to an online reservation when i decided to extend my stay . Everytime the hotel told me they could not match the rate and i had to go to an internet cafe to rebook at the online rate .   [ this was before Smart phones ]

• Thanks 1

Enuff

I use Agoda for hotels, never had an issue and about the best rates going. If you don't set up an account the rates are slightly different for those just shopping.

For airfare I use Skyscanner to get the best rates, typically through Cathay Pacific. If it's only a $50 savings, I just book with Cathay Pacific directly.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Salty Dog
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Several times i have been staying at a hotel pursuant to an online reservation when i decided to extend my stay . Everytime the hotel told me they could not match the rate and i had to go to an internet cafe to rebook at the online rate .   [ this was before Smart phones ]

The exact same thing happened to me at the Pan Pacific in Manila. I tried to explain to them that they would have to pay a commision to the online booking agency, thereby making less than if they just gave me the same rate.

Yea, I know, I was new to the Philippines and had yet to learn their ways...:huh:

That was nearly 10 years ago. I find that many hotels now guarantee to match or beat any online rate.

delancey

Agoda for selection and its comfort zone with SE Asia plus very low prices.

The dowside to booking services is hotels can be passive aggressive about you using them and the progressive hotels match or nearly match booking service prices anyway. Plus the progressive hotels will add perks for loyalty.

Using Quest as an example, a booking service may be P100 cheaper but no discounts, perks or free internet. Plus not booking directly adds more confusion sometimes.

But my short answer is Agoda.

Edited by delancey

I <3 Cebu

We use booking.com & agoda.com both very user friendly & never let us down.

lopburi3

Just remember if using Agoda the listed price does not include tax so looks much lower than other services that do include the tax upfront.  

Enuff
Just remember if using Agoda the listed price does not include tax so looks much lower than other services that do include the tax upfront.  
That's absolutely 100% false information

There is an option, on mobile app for full price, use it and you will see . . . . . The full price (amazing isn't it)c344286f2e7a1497f14d3a761864fbbc.jpg9c91f566540444fa7c55cf3e68bc994e.jpg

lopburi3
28 minutes ago, Enuff said:
1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

That's absolutely 100% false information

And what exactly is false about it?  My information is correct - website provides price without tax and Google maps will show this price in comparison with other booking sites price with tax.  That they may have an option for telephone is great - but my statement stands.

Enuff
And what exactly is false about it?  My information is correct - website provides price without tax and Google maps will show this price in comparison with other booking sites price with tax.  That they may have an option for telephone is great - but my statement stands.
What's false is that option is also on the desktop site.

942a75f4368890ef32e8856cb7ac7d46.jpg