Jump to content

What can we discuss in the Off-Topic Forum?


Mr. Mike

Recommended Posts

Mr. Mike

With all of the changes lately...what topics can we discuss on this thread?

...and if they are controversial, will they be banned?...or just disappear ?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Mike

Perhaps I should have been more clear. What can be discussed in "Off Topic"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve alwsys had the impression that there were a variety of choices of topics to choose from.  If the topic doesn’t fit in these choices, I could post it there.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Mike

It is hard to post any topic that does not turn political eventually... including, welfare...firearms...abortion...religion...single parent homes...domestic violence...school shootings...mental incompetency... the transgender phenomenon...white privilege...........you name it!

Everything we experience today is often controversial...and political in some way.

I guess I have misunderstood the purpose of "Off Topic"

 

Edited by Mr. Mike
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

Off-topic is where you post fluff stories ... that have nothing to do with anything. If you want to know what you can't post, just refer to the old list of outlaw forums and the DK. Those things are no longer allowed on the forums. What popped out of the DK into the open forums were those topics that never needed to be in the DK in the first place (more fluff). Those topics that should have been in the DK are now banned. Everything in the outlaw forums was there because it tended to lead to unsolvable arguments, so they are also banned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Mike

Thanks Headshot...I pretty much figured that out buddy.

....so no topics/problems that seem to be "unsolvable" can be discussed here? Or on this forum for that matter......... I see.

What you might call an argument, some might call a discussion or a debate.....I guess "fluffy" is best.

Edited by Mr. Mike
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
1 minute ago, Mr. Mike said:

Thanks Headshot...I pretty much figured that out buddy.

....so no topics/problems that seem to be "unsolvable" can be discussed here? I see.

What you might call an argument, some might call a discussion or a debate.....I guess "fluffy" is best.

Well, neither me or you gets to define what is or isn't unsolvable, but I think the guidelines laid out long ago are still applicable. I think I would just go with that and stay away from those topics that tend to blow up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
softail
1 minute ago, Mr. Mike said:

Thanks Headshot...I pretty much figured that out buddy.

....so no topics/problems that seem to be "unsolvable" can be discussed here? I see.

What you might call an argument, some might call a discussion or a debate.....I guess "fluffy" is best.

i think what he is trying to say is that they are squeezing the life out of these forums. There is only so much that can be discussed daily about the Philippines, other filler needs to be added and if there are those that don’t want to be included in some of these debates fine, don’t participate, read what interests you.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Mike

Softail is correct, I was trying to be diplomatic. I am just suggesting that LinC might have gone overboard in it's purge of controversial forums. I respect this forum as much as any member...just suggesting that one forum could be set aside for more pithy topics/discussions. We are all adults here.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
jtmwatchbiz
34 minutes ago, Mr. Mike said:

Softail is correct, I was trying to be diplomatic. I am just suggesting that LinC might have gone overboard in it's purge of controversial forums. I respect this forum as much as any member...just suggesting that one forum could be set aside for more pithy topics/discussions. We are all adults here.

the forum is undergoing positive changes so eventually more will enjoy the site.   the team of staff was kind enough to let me sit in and snap a picture at one of their meetings and things seem to be discussed right now that will answer all your questions soon enough.   true some may not be happy with the rules but they are put in place to keep the forum civil and it's nothing personal...just business.    for now i would suggest once a discussion or debate grows "heated" then simply create a group pm and problem solved no?    also don't be afraid to pm staff and ask them questions as anyone can see from the snapshot they are a friendly helpful bunch  :biggrin_01:

 

corleonefamily.jpg

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
add ridiculous picture
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interested in the forum because of the main feature, discussing topics related to living in the Philippines.  I know members enjoy the off topic discussions, and entertaining sort of posts.  This is not my interest, as I can find better at websites devoted to science, comedy, sports, entertainment etc.  

I mean no offense to any person, or groups or nationalities, but frankly, I don’t care about others opinions about politics, world affairs etc.  If I want to read opinions, I prefer to read those expressed by individuals I know personally or by reputation.  

As an example, I read the posts about the sentencing of the fellow  charged with running some sort of sex crime business.  I read it out of interest to see how the authorities and justice system works here.  What I get is an extended debate between LinC members who just seem to want to taunt each other. As well, I’ll get the gossip surrounding this fellow and his activities. I know, I can skip those posts.  But, it is distracting and I really could care less who is more correct or just how disgusting his behavior is.  The guy broke the laws here, and Justice was served.  

As far as these hidden forums, frankly it seems like a "members only" sort of opportunity and makes me think of a mosh pit. Never had interest in these.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
softail
11 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I am interested in the forum because of the main feature, discussing topics related to living in the Philippines.  I know members enjoy the off topic discussions, and entertaining sort of posts.  This is not my interest, as I can find better at websites devoted to science, comedy, sports, entertainment etc.  

I mean no offense to any person, or groups or nationalities, but frankly, I don’t care about others opinions about politics, world affairs etc.  If I want to read opinions, I prefer to read those expressed by individuals I know personally or by reputation.  

As an example, I read the posts about the sentencing of the fellow  charged with running some sort of sex crime business.  I read it out of interest to see how the authorities and justice system works here.  What I get is an extended debate between LinC members who just seem to want to taunt each other. As well, I’ll get the gossip surrounding this fellow and his activities. I know, I can skip those posts.  But, it is distracting and I really could care less who is more correct or just how disgusting his behavior is.  The guy broke the laws here, and Justice was served.  

As far as these hidden forums, frankly it seems like a "members only" sort of opportunity and makes me think of a mosh pit. Never had interest in these.

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, I don’t share it but I respect it ? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
31 minutes ago, oztony said:

Certain subjects go beyond the point of discussion to evolve into unrelenting arguments where neither party concedes or is willing to accept that others have a different opinion to their own , self control and self management in these types of discussions has been scarce

In other words, maybe not ALL members are adults after all ... or maybe there are varying perspectives of what it takes to be an adult. Some would say that anybody over 18 is an adult. In my experience, I have not found that to be the case.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..