Sign in to follow this  
Tullioz

Cebu court convicts Australian, Filipina for cybersex operation

Headshot
2 hours ago, RangerUp said:

How society finds a crime resulted in lynchings.

Sentencing is based on legal guidelines, check your textbooks again.

Where do you think legal guidelines come from? They come from an interpretation of social norms, which are derived from how a particular society views things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

oztony

He is where he belongs , a complete disgrace to his country and also to mankind in general....that extra weight would indicate that he has family sponsoring his meals ...his so called mates would have ditched him long ago ....his appearance says a lot for his exercise regime also ....nothing but a lazy sex offending slug.......

• Like 3

Barryrio

And not a particularly discreet one - hence his downfall. At one stage he had two rental units in a different Cebu residential compound in which I once resided. Friends of mine who still live in that establishment were commenting on the number of extremely young scantily-clad females coming and going from these units at what could best be described as the shift change. They also mentioned the fact that several times the doors to those units were open with just the screen doors closed and there had been several comments about those same scantily -clad females sitting in front of computers. This was in a compound of some 36 individual residential family apartments. A week or so later we read of the arrest in Labangnon and shortly after the NBI turned the two units over. When the landlord subsequently went to clean out the units there were several interesting "toys" recovered along with various pharmaceutical products of an intimate nature. Just desserts, as another poster commented.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Davaoeno
25 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

The topic is how some are actually defending  this sentencing, and based on "hatred":

If you will take the time to scroll to the top of the page you will appreciate just  how  much your statement ignores reality !

• Like 1

topcat72m
7 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Sentencing is 100% based on how deplorable  society finds a particular  crime . 

You might want to reread your law school materials. 

I think the sentencing of this case is to serve as a warning to others. A big sentence will and did get media attention. It sends a message to those in society who are inclined to come to Philippines to take advantage of the underage which I fully agree with. 

I am just not sure due process of law was applied in this case. I was not there and I'm only going on what is being reported. 

This guy loved attention and had a harem of girls and loved showing off. This is stupid and reckless behaviour but not worthy of 3 life's sentence IMO. I don't know about the underage aspect of the case but different sources have different stories. One said all 15 victims were underage. Another said 4 of the 15 where underage and another I read said that there were 2 undrage girls there who were sisters of his GF. So again I am not sure which version is the truth.  

He was found to have an in licence gun and sex toys. I' not sure it' illegal to have sex toys but many people use these and I don' see a problem.

AFAIK the most serious crime was the production of p*orn. Hardly worthy of 3 life sentences. But again I'm only going on the reports I am reading. 

Initially I was all F him and he deserves everything he gets. I thought this was a case of a peadofile having got his just deserts. But as I read more I'm not so sure.

Yes he was stupid and yes he broke the law posting pictures of himself doing various girls. He deserves to be punished and have some jail time. But the severity of the sentencing is questionable. If someone knows more about this idea love to read it. 

• Like 1

Jawny

I’ve often wondered what it was like behind the scenes when the US Supreme Court discussed important matters of law.  I knew that each justice had some sort of qualifications which had gotten him or her to this place.  That is, when they debated, back and forth about the correct application of law, legal reasoning and all the other stuff.

I wondered if they were brilliant in their choice of words and careful in their thought process.  Or, were they just some blathering wanna bees, express their views as if they just discovered them on the back of a cereal box.

As I read through these posts, i now have my answer.  

As the LinC membership ponders the lengevity of the sentence of this fellow and his accomplice, I am reminded of the numerous times in the past when some idiot got caught at a ferry terminal or some other place and charged with violating the laws of the Philippines with regard to exploitation of a minor.  It was nearly universal that members would describe the painful suffering the idiot should get......if he were guilty.  

Seems like life sentience along with the suffering that brings matches those sentiments.

I did see some of the courtroom photos when the judgement was read.  Not sure it was going to be a surprise to anyone.  But, one image of this guy and his accomplice was amazing.  She was breaking down and he was looking at her as if she had just farted.

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, topcat72m said:

I think the sentencing of this case is to serve as a warning to others.

There are several factors involved in determining sentences for specific crimes:

1. Punishment

2. A deterrent to others

3. Restitution to the victim or the victims family 

in this particular case I believe more weight was given to number 2. That is because the perpetrator is a foreigner and the victims pinoys .

Of course there is the fact - as I mentioned before- that foreigners have to be taught that any time they come to the Philippines and cause harm to a filipino they will be dealt with severely !   Just listen to the speeches of the President .

Edited by Davaoeno

shonkyimp

I know she got a life sentence and I know what he did but what exactly was her part in this. Was she finding the girls for him ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

topcat72m
3 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

in this particular case I believe more weight was given to number 2. That is because the perpetrator is a foreigner and the victims pinoys .

Of course there is the fact - as I mentioned before- that foreigners have to be taught that any time they come to the Philippines and cause harm to a filipino 

This is why I think it was severe. Who were the victims. AFAIK these girls were free to come and go as they pleased. Aside from minors who I'm not sure we'e involved. Adults should have some responsibility for their own actions. I suspect some if not all of these girls were using this guys facilities to perform on camera for personal gain. Total speculation on my part. 

• Like 1

topcat72m
4 minutes ago, shonkyimp said:

I know she got a life sentence and I know what he did but what exactly was her part in this. Was she finding the girls for him ?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I think she was unfortunate to be connected to this attention seeking fool. 

If only there was some accurate media coverage so we can get the facts acording to the case. It seems the media are making up the story as they go. 

Headshot

Is it correct that there is no parole in the Philippines, so the sentence they got will be the sentence they serve?

Minus the extra life sentences, of course.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
9 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

You're confusing the purpose of sentencing itself, with guidelines that determine sentence length.

In 'developed' nations, guidelines include:

1) Seriousness of the crime

2) Defendant's criminal history

3) Aggravating and mitigating factors

I've got news for you buddy- this is NOT a developed nation !!

• Like 1

musicman666
3 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I've got news for you buddy- this is NOT a developed nation !!

It’s not even a developing nation ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

smokey
10 hours ago, Barryrio said:

And not a particularly discreet one - hence his downfall. At one stage he had two rental units in a different Cebu residential compound in which I once resided. Friends of mine who still live in that establishment were commenting on the number of extremely young scantily-clad females coming and going from these units at what could best be described as the shift change. They also mentioned the fact that several times the doors to those units were open with just the screen doors closed and there had been several comments about those same scantily -clad females sitting in front of computers. This was in a compound of some 36 individual residential family apartments. A week or so later we read of the arrest in Labangnon and shortly after the NBI turned the two units over. When the landlord subsequently went to clean out the units there were several interesting "toys" recovered along with various pharmaceutical products of an intimate nature. Just desserts, as another poster commented.  

I see this same type of eye candy close to home been there for years hmmmm 

jtmwatchbiz
17 hours ago, Barryrio said:

And not a particularly discreet one - hence his downfall.

oh you got that right.  many of us that live in the guadalupe area remember this guy with his teeny boppers in tow flaunting himself all over town.   we would cringe when he would chat with us while grocery shopping or at coffee shops while his pint-sized entourage would hover nearby.   IJM and the authorities did a great job rounding this guy up.  any scumbags here in cebu city looking to exploit women and youngsters better keep in mind that once IJM gets you in their sites it's not going to end well for you.... 

• Like 4