Sign in to follow this  
Bama

Anyone familiar with Philippine Police Academy ?

Bama

Just throwing this out there.

A young man in the barrio has lost his funding for his final year at the police academy in Tacloban.His OFW  uncle who  had been paying for everything wasn't picked back up. The kids mother is pretty upset.

Before I consider sticking my nose (wallet) where it might not belong I would like to know a few things.How much is tuition for the PI police academy per year? The only site that I found suggested that it could be around 26K PHP. Also, is there a final exam that would have to be passed before he could become a cop ? I noted that there is an admission test that weeds out about 97 % of applicants but I'm concerned about a final weeding out program. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this subject ? Thanks.

Headshot
13 minutes ago, Bama said:

Just throwing this out there.

A young man in the barrio has lost his funding for his final year at the police academy in Tacloban.His OFW  uncle who  had been paying for everything wasn't picked back up. The kids mother is pretty upset.

Before I consider sticking my nose (wallet) where it might not belong I would like to know a few things.How much is tuition for the PI police academy per year? The only site that I found suggested that it could be around 26K PHP. Also, is there a final exam that would have to be passed before he could become a cop ? I noted that there is an admission test that weeds out about 97 % of applicants but I'm concerned about a final weeding out program. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this subject ? Thanks.

To my knowledge, police academy only lasts for six months. Here on Cebu, they have a camp up in the mountains where they have the academy. After they graduate, they get a couple temporary assignments to give them some breadth of knowledge before they get a more permanent assignment. I believe they have to already hold a four-year university degree (not necessarily in law enforcement) before they will be accepted into the police academy. It sounds like the OFW has been paying for his university education, NOT police academy.

• Like 2

Tullioz

What Headshot said is true except for the university requirement. I think only a high school education is required. I have a friend who recently went through the academy and is now a PNP officer. I sent her a message and should have an answer about the academy part shortly. 

Tullioz

Here is the answer I received. It seems there is a Police Academy and a Police Training program. She doesn't' know anything about the cost of the academy, but that sounds like what the young man you are inquiring about is enrolled in. 

Philippine National Police Academy is far different from the training I have in Training Center since you should spend 4 years to study in PNP Academy and if you will be graduated, your rank will be police inspector and while studying, you will get a salary while studying. While in my training, we only trained for 1 year including the ojt phase (which we are doing now for 6 months) and while having the training, we get also a salary and if we’ll be graduated, our rank will be PO1. The commonalities are we are having the same process of screening but the qualifications are different.

Headshot
23 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

Here is the answer I received. It seems there is a Police Academy and a Police Training program. She doesn't' know anything about the cost of the academy, but that sounds like what the young man you are inquiring about is enrolled in. 

you will get a salary while studying

It sounds like rather than paying tuition, the student gets paid. The next question is, "Where is the National Police Academy located?" Obviously, they wouldn't have these all over the country, since they already have the training centers scattered around. The answer is here.

Since the Academy moved to Camp General Mariano N Castañeda, Silang, Cavite in 1994 as its new and permanent home, its facilities have been continuously upgraded to make the Academy conducive for learning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_National_Police_Academy

So, is he enrolled in the National Police Academy in Cavite, or is he going to school in Tacloban? Or is he just taking everybody for a ride and the OFW figured it out?

Edited by Headshot

Bama
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

It sounds like rather than paying tuition, the student gets paid. The next question is, "Where is the National Police Academy located?" Obviously, they wouldn't have these all over the country, since they already have the training centers scattered around. The answer is here.

So, is he enrolled in the National Police Academy in Cavite, or is he going to school in Tacloban? Or is he just taking everybody for a ride and the OFW figured it out?

I have been told (I'm getting this 2nd or 3rd hand) that he going to the police academy in San Jose,Tacloban. I hesitate to make too many inquiries about these things so as to not raise expectations.Preferably, when I do decide to help someone I do it anonymously.I have learned to check things out though---usually all is not as it seems.

12 hours ago, Jawny said:

It is pretty common to have some sort of exam post graduation.  Keep in mind "review classes". 

Bingo,Jawny.

I got burned by this once before. A niece of the wifes went through a course to be a midwife. To pass the final exam she went through "review classes" 3 times and never made it.She then decided that it was just easier to get pregnant and 3 kids later......well you know the rest.

Anyway,the police academy (or whatever it is) is just a couple of km from the house---maybe I could go there and make inquiries. I hesitate to do this as my presence (foreigner) always attracts undue attention.If anyone has any more ideas I would like to hear them.

colemanlee
13 minutes ago, Bama said:

Anyway,the police academy (or whatever it is) is just a couple of km from the house---maybe I could go there and make inquiries. I hesitate to do this as my presence (foreigner) always attracts undue attention.If anyone has any more ideas I would like to hear them.

From what I know the "academy" in Tacloban is just another Criminology Degree program, you graduate from that and you still have to take the PNP entrance exam just like anybody else...My BIL brother graduated from there, could not pass the PNP exam...works now in some computer store...from what my PNP friends tell me, most security guards here have a Criminology degree and could not pass the exam.....The only "academy" I know of that is different, is the PNPA academy in Manila.....http://www.pnpa.edu.ph/  but that requires a appointment (similar to the service academy's in the states) and a fairly high grade point average....its also nice to know somebody.  

• Thanks 2

Jawny
17 minutes ago, Bama said:

I have been told (I'm getting this 2nd or 3rd hand) that he going to the police academy in San Jose,Tacloban. I hesitate to make too many inquiries about these things so as to not raise expectations.Preferably, when I do decide to help someone I do it anonymously.I have learned to check things out though---usually all is not as it seems.

Bingo,Jawny.

I got burned by this once before. A niece of the wifes went through a course to be a midwife. To pass the final exam she went through "review classes" 3 times and never made it.She then decided that it was just easier to get pregnant and 3 kids later......well you know the rest.

If I were in your situation, I’d go to the academy and make inquiries.  It’s been my experience that you will likely draw a crowd of individuals who want to top each other with info.  You’ll ask one, another will listen in, then a third and each starts to add a bit more.

Ive been to Camp Kangleon in Palo several times.  There is nearlu alwsys a cluster of dozens of young cadets in formation or policing some area.  I haven’t inquired, but their t-shirts did say something about a cadet group.  Not sure if these were students of the academy or just highschool wanna be students. 

That cost of ₽26,000 seems reasonable if there is a tuition cost.  Seems like a good opportunity to help out a person who wants to have a career.  

• Like 1

Bama
28 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

From what I know the "academy" in Tacloban is just another Criminology Degree program, you graduate from that and you still have to take the PNP entrance exam just like anybody else...

Houston--we might have a problem.

Based on what you said and the fact that only 3% of applicants who apply to the academy make it---odds are the kid won't ever be a cop.I thought I also read that to be admitted to the academy (in Cavite) one had to have a college degree.I'm certain this kid doesn't have that----a trip to the "academy" is in order.

colemanlee

PNPA Qualifications

INITIAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR ADMISSION (PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED) :

Natural born Filipino citizen;
18 to 22 years old on the date of appointment;
Single with no parental obligation;
At least Senior High School graduate upon admission;
At least 5 feet and 4 inches (162.5cm.) for male and 5 feet and 2 inches (157.5 cm.)  for female in height;
With weight that corresponds to the applicant’s height, gender and age in reference to Body Mass Index (BMI);
Physically and mentally fit to undergo the Cadetship Program;
With good moral character (no criminal, administrative and civil derogatory record;
Without  pending complaint and/or case before any tribunal involving moral turpitude and other cases against the State;
Not a former cadet of PNPA, or other service academies (PMA, PMMA, MAAP); and
Not have been dismissed from any private employment or government position for cause;

• Like 1

Bama

This might be contributing to some of the confusion.This is the first paragraph on the website.

http://ppsc.gov.ph/regional-training-center-8

Regional Training Center (RTC) – 8 is located at KutaKankabato, San Jose, Tacloban City. Established in 1970, then called the Eastern Visayas Regional Police Academy under the then Police Commission. In 1975 its was transferred to the now defunct Integrated National Police (INP) Training Command. In 1990 the academy was deactivated. In 1994 it was reactivated and transferred to PPSC. Under the PPSC, it was renamed to Regional Training School 8 and then to Regional Training Center 8. It caters to the training needs of the police force in the region Region 8 is composed of the provinces of Leyte, Southern Leyte, Eastern Samar,Northern Samar and Western Samar.

colemanlee

I think what your talking about is the school over by the airport but the one there is only for PNP and I believe just fairly new hires, we shoot there sometimes...

Headshot
34 minutes ago, Bama said:

This might be contributing to some of the confusion.This is the first paragraph on the website.

http://ppsc.gov.ph/regional-training-center-8

Regional Training Center (RTC) – 8 is located at KutaKankabato, San Jose, Tacloban City. Established in 1970, then called the Eastern Visayas Regional Police Academy under the then Police Commission. In 1975 its was transferred to the now defunct Integrated National Police (INP) Training Command. In 1990 the academy was deactivated. In 1994 it was reactivated and transferred to PPSC. Under the PPSC, it was renamed to Regional Training School 8 and then to Regional Training Center 8. It caters to the training needs of the police force in the region Region 8 is composed of the provinces of Leyte, Southern Leyte, Eastern Samar,Northern Samar and Western Samar.

If it is the Regional Training Center he is talking about, then the training only lasts six months, followed by another six months of temporary assignments for OJT. I don't believe there is any tuition for the cadets accepted into the program. On the other hand, if he is enrolled in a criminology program at some other school (where there is tuition), there is no assurance that he will be accepted into either the National Police Academy in Cavite or into a Regional Training Center after he graduates.

Edited by Headshot

Bama

Yes, it is the one by the airport.

So I'm back to the Criminology Program theory now-----with its 97 % chance of the kid ending up as a guard at Robinsons.