Sign in to follow this  
slowsmile

Applying for Non-Quota Immigrant Status -- the ACR sec-13(a) Card

slowsmile

I've been asked by a forum member to put up a thread to explain about the ACR sec-13(a) card. I hate that card name it's really awkward, unmemorable, bumbly and difficult to type.

So from here on I'm just going to refer to this card as the NQI-Card(Non-Quota Immigrant Card)

Who is eligible for this card?

* Any foreigner who has married a Filipino citizen is eligible to apply for this card. 

* Foreigners who are bachelors are not eligible for this card.

Where do I apply for the NQI-Card ?

*  Bureau of Immigration, 2nd Floor, 'J' Mall, Mandaue.

What are the benefits and entitlements of this card ?

1. You are recognized as a legal immigrant in the Phils.

2. This card gives you permanent residence status in the Phils.

3. You are legally allowed to work or start a business in the Phils

4. When you travel outside the Philippines, you can use native instead of foreigner queues at airport immigration in the Phils.

5. You don't have to exit the Philippines once a year because you are regarded as a permanent resident -- not a tourist.

6. The initial application fee for the NQI-Card is about 12,000 pesos($230 or GBP 163).

7. Yearly NQI-Card renewal can be done at the BI in J Mall Mandaue. It only costs 310 pesos per year to maintain your NQI status

9. There is no compulsory payment of $10,000 or $20,000 into a govt bank as occurs when you apply for SRRV status(Special Resident Retiree Visa).

10. Initial upfront cost of applying is only $230 or GBP 169

11. Cheap yearly renewal -- only 310 pesos a year. 

What are the downsides?

1. When you travel outside the Philippines you must take your wife with you otherwise, when you come back, your foreigner status reverts back to tourist status.

2. The initial paperwork and requirements for the NQI-Card are pretty hellish which is about par for the course.

3. The card can take up to a year to be issued. You may be issued a "Probationary Resident" card in the interim period.

Read more about the ACR sec-13(a) card requirements xxxxx.

• Like 2

Woolf
16 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

2. You don't have to exit the Philippines once a year because you are regarded as a permanent resident -- not a tourist.

A tourist can stay up to 3 year without leaving, for some it is up to 2 years depending on nationality 

for most it is 3 years

tourist ACR-I is valid for 1 year, 13A ACR-I is valid for 5 years

Maybe the 13a visa holders will comment on some the other misunderstandings

Edited by Woolf

Salty Dog
18 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

Read more about the ACR sec-13(a) card requirements here.

Please don't post links to commercial sites providing Visa services.

It's not fair to the advertiser who pays to have his Visa services listed on the forum.

Soarking
47 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

1. When you travel outside the Philippines you must take your wife with you otherwise, when you come back, your foreigner status reverts back to tourist status.

Is this something new?  When I got my ACR sec 13-A, I applied at the Philippine counselor in Los Angeles and got the original VISA stamp in my passport there, (good for one year multiple entry visa).  Once in Cebu I went through the hoops at BI in J-Mall and got issued the permanent residency card in a little over two months. 

My wife was in California the entire time I was in Cebu except for one short visit me.  I made several trips home ALONE and had no issues.   In fact when first applying for it both in LA and and BI in Cebu we asked about her being in California and were told it didn’t matter.

The only time my wife was with me during the entire process was at the PC office in Los Angeles to get the VISA stamp.  Everything I did at the BI in J-Mall I did alone with my wife in California.  No problems there and no problems the 5 times I traveled home.

Edited by Soarking
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

slowsmile
11 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Please don't post links to commercial sites providing Visa services.

It's not fair to the advertiser who pays to have his Visa services listed on the forum.

The ACR-sec13(a) is a Philippine govt issued visa in card form  that gives you Non-Quota Immigrant status. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Visa credit card.

In future, perhaps best to read the complete post first before you rush to warn, chastise or condemn.

Edited by slowsmile

Woolf

I have NEVER heard that a 13a visa holder need the wife to travel with him

to enter ph 

If you want to have a 1 year Balikbayan, you need to enter with your philippine wife

if you stay more than 1 year you will go to tourist status

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog
25 minutes ago, slowsmile said:

The ACR-sec13(a) is a Philippine govt issued visa in card form  that gives you Non-Quota Immigrant status. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Visa credit card.

In future, perhaps best to read the complete post first before you rush to warn, chastise or condemn.

Who said anything about credit cards. You linked to a company who provides Philippine Visa Services for a fee.

That company does not pay for advertising on this forum.

There is a member who pays to advertise his Visa Services on this forum. 

This isn't the 1st time you've responded to a member in such a condescending manner. Lets make it your last time.

• Like 3

Jawny
1 hour ago, slowsmile said:

Where do I apply for the NQI-Card ?

*  Bureau of Immigration, 2nd Floor, 'J' Mall, Mandaue.

What are the benefits and entitlements of this card ?

5. You don't have to exit the Philippines once a year because you are regarded as a permanent resident -- not a tourist.

6. The initial application fee for the NQI-Card is about 12,000 pesos($230 or GBP 163).

7. Yearly NQI-Card renewal can be done at the BI in J Mall Mandaue. It only costs 310 pesos per year to maintain your NQI status

10. Initial upfront cost of applying is only $230 or GBP 169

11. Cheap yearly renewal -- only 310 pesos a year. 

What are the downsides?

2. The initial paperwork and requirements for the NQI-Card are pretty hellish which is about par for the course.

3. The card can take up to a year to be issued. You may be issued a "Probationary Resident" card in the interim period.

Some of your information is incorrect.  Your post is helpful but misleading.  There are a lot of members in LinC who have lived here on a 13a and 13g visa.  I realize the term you’ve chosen may roll off the tongue better, but the forum has used the 13a designation for a long time and reference to another term can be misleading.  Not intentional, I’m sure.  Just a simpler way for the information to fit in with what is commonly used.

A 13a VISA, not card, can be applied for at many places including overseas Philippines consulates and embassies.

Foreigners on tourist visas do NOT have to leave once a year.  A foreigner making use of the balikbayan priveledge will typically leave after one year, with spouse who must accompany the foreigner to avail of the priviledge. 

The cost will vary depending upon where the application is made.  Not the fees for the visa, but the associated costs such as criminal clearance and such.

The VISA, once made permanent, is just that, permanent.  There is no annual renewal.  There is, however, an annual report which is required during the first two months of the year.  Fee is ₽310. 

Ive never heard of a foreigner on a 13a visa being required to travel with their spouse.  In contrast, a foreigner who leaves the country while on the balikbayan priveledge will need to return with the spouse in order to avail of that again.  Departure together is NOT  a requirement. 

Paperwork requirements are a subjective matter.  For myself, it was more in the annoying category than hellish.  In fact, I got my 13a VISA from overseas and it was a simple process and done rather quickly.  Also, permanent upon entry.

You are not alone when you refer to the card as the document which gives you the permanent residence status.  In fact, the card you refer to is the infamous ACR card and many different VISA categories have these cards.  They need to be renewed and replaced every five and ten years respectively.  However, the VISA is permanent, as you say.  Got that part correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

shadow
33 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Some of your information is incorrect.  Your post is helpful but misleading.  There are a lot of members in LinC who have lived here on a 13a and 13g visa.  I realize the term you’ve chosen may roll off the tongue better, but the forum has used the 13a designation for a long time and reference to another term can be misleading.  Not intentional, I’m sure.  Just a simpler way for the information to fit in with what is commonly used.

A 13a VISA, not card, can be applied for at many places including overseas Philippines consulates and embassies.

Foreigners on tourist visas do NOT have to leave once a year.  A foreigner making use of the balikbayan priveledge will typically leave after one year, with spouse who must accompany the foreigner to avail of the priviledge. 

The cost will vary depending upon where the application is made.  Not the fees for the visa, but the associated costs such as criminal clearance and such.

The VISA, once made permanent, is just that, permanent.  There is no annual renewal.  There is, however, an annual report which is required during the first two months of the year.  Fee is ₽310. 

Ive never heard of a foreigner on a 13a visa being required to travel with their spouse.  In contrast, a foreigner who leaves the country while on the balikbayan priveledge will need to return with the spouse in order to avail of that again.  Departure together is NOT  a requirement. 

Paperwork requirements are a subjective matter.  For myself, it was more in the annoying category than hellish.  In fact, I got my 13a VISA from overseas and it was a simple process and done rather quickly.  Also, permanent upon entry.

You are not alone when you refer to the card as the document which gives you the permanent residence status.  In fact, the card you refer to is the infamous ACR card and many different VISA categories have these cards.  They need to be renewed and replaced every five and ten years respectively.  However, the VISA is permanent, as you say.  Got that part correct.

Thank you, Jawny, for correcting the misleading/incorrect information.

I would add that a Balikbayan does not have to leave the country after one year. They can switch to tourist without leaving, just start paying the fees for extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
43 minutes ago, shadow said:

I would add that a Balikbayan does not have to leave the country after one year. They can switch to tourist without leaving, just start paying the fees for extensions.

Good to know. Can that be done at the J Park office?

Woolf
2 hours ago, slowsmile said:

The ACR-sec13(a) is a Philippine govt issued visa in card form

The card is NOT a visa, the visa is in your passport

ACR-I Card Alien Certificate of Registration ID

It is an identification card

6 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Good to know. Can that be done at the J Park office?

Yes, just go there before the 1 year is up, you can then stay for up to 3 years total

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

SkyMan
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Yes, just go there before the 1 year is up, you can then stay for up to 3 years

3 years total.  1yr BB plus 2 years as a tourist.

One misleading thing about this post is that it sounds like you're applying for the card to get the visa but actually you apply for the visa and part of that process is getting an ACR-I card.

What are the downsides?

When leaving the country you will like pay about p2900 to exit and travel tax of p1640.

1. When you travel outside the Philippines you must take your wife with you otherwise, when you come back, your foreigner status reverts back to tourist status

Not true.

If you are unfortunate enough to apply for the 13A in country you are Probationary for a year and get a ACR-I card for that.  Before the year is up you need to essentially reapply to get permanent and then another card.  Best to apply outside the country.

• Like 3

Semper paratus
37 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

If you are unfortunate enough to apply for the 13A in country you are Probationary for a year and get a ACR-I card for that.  Before the year is up you need to essentially reapply to get permanent and then another card.  Best to apply outside the country.

Getting the 13A out of country also limits the possibility of someone putting the bite on you to make things go smoother. 

• Like 3

Woolf

@slowsmile

Information about the ACR-I card

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/acr-i-card

BTW     On the back of my ACR-I card, my visa type is stated as TVV

TVV ??  could be Tourist Visa Vaiwer

Edited by Woolf

Jawny

Totally vindicated viking

or Temporary Visitors VISA 

• Like 2