Sign in to follow this  
Semper paratus

Storms of the past....

Semper paratus

This comment will probably only be understood by a few, but storms are exciting to me, an adrenaline rush if you will. I am sure this is a result mostly of my time in the U.S. Coast Guard in the 1960's. I saw some really amazing storms and the power of water fueled by wind is and the wind itself is fascinating. I saw an entire harbor 75% completed built with huge square cut quarry stones each one at least 12  foot x 12 foot x 12 foot, some bigger, and it literally vanished overnight. Not a trace of it the next day. So we are talking stones that weighted 300,000 pounds a piece just disappearing by the hundreds. Poof. We were 10 miles out from there on that crib and we thought we were goners. My bedroom window was 40 feet off the water level and the waves were crashing on my window. That will get your heart pumping. Then the sea  door broke down and things got real exciting. Anyhow to this day the power of nature intrigues me.  It is one thing than man cannot control try as he might.  I think mankind is rather arrogant in a way thinking he can control this or that. When nature decides different nature wins, period. Don't get me wrong, I surely dread anyone being killed or injured as it was my job to save lives. ( mostly) . There is nothing mankind can do to stop a storm, volcano, earthquake or whatever and it's something for man to realize and think about. The power of wind, water, ice, is incredible. I still like storms. Perhaps like is not the right word but some of you I would think know what I mean. It's a rush for me. I suppose like some people like skydiving , mountain climbing, or whatever. Hopefully it will be a nice storm and not do damage. I know one thing, it will do whatever it wants to do. Prepare, relax, and enjoy life. This too shall pass. My bedroom was the second set of windows above the deck.

northmanitoushoal.jpg

Edited by Semper paratus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

colemanlee

I spent most of my life flying out of Cherry Point,lived in a place called South River, floods were common,  the rest in Okinawa (almost five years in Pensacola) seems like everywhere Ive been has been in the eye of the storm....I to love them, its amazing, was here 500 mtrs from the shore when Yolanda hit, didnt like the aftermath but loved the storm....I guess it gives and old man a jump start...the wife says I attract them lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

shadow
11 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

This comment will probably only be understood by a few, but storms are exciting to me, an adrenaline rush if you will. I am sure this is a result mostly of my time in the U.S. Coast Guard in the 1960's. I saw some really amazing storms and the power of water fueled by wind is and the wind itself is fascinating. I saw an entire harbor 75% completed built with huge square cut quarry stones each one at least 12  foot x 12 foot x 12 foot, some bigger, and it literally vanished overnight. Not a trace of it the next day. So we are talking stones that weighted 300,000 pounds a piece just disappearing by the hundreds. Poof. We were 10 miles out from there on that crib and we thought we were goners. My bedroom window was 40 feet off the water level and the waves were crashing on my window. That will get your heart pumping. Then the sea  door broke down and things got real exciting. Anyhow to this day the power of nature intrigues me.  It is one thing than man cannot control try as he might.  I think mankind is rather arrogant in a way thinking he can control this or that. When nature decides different nature wins, period. Don't get me wrong, I surely dread anyone being killed or injured as it was my job to save lives. ( mostly) . There is nothing mankind can do to stop a storm, volcano, earthquake or whatever and it's something for man to realize and think about. The power of wind, water, ice, is incredible. I still like storms. Perhaps like is not the right word but some of you I would think know what I mean. It's a rush for me. I suppose like some people like skydiving , mountain climbing, or whatever. Hopefully it will be a nice storm and not do damage. I know one thing, it will do whatever it wants to do. Prepare, relax, and enjoy life. This too shall pass. My bedroom was the second set of windows above the deck.

northmanitoushoal.jpg

I spent about half my life living on the Oregon coast. Often when there was a storm, I would go to the beach. A few weeks ago they had 60 foot waves, I would have loved to have seen that.

This lighthouse off Tillamook is 150 feet tall;

Image result for tillamook lighthouse storm pic

In action;

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2