Sign in to follow this  
Kahuna

Taiwan earthquake: Devastating images from the aftermath

Kahuna

A magnitude-6.4 earthquake was reported at around 11:50 p.m. on Tuesday, February 6 in Taiwan's Hualien County. Preliminary reports stated the quake was about six miles deep. Another 5.1 tremor was felt shortly after. Several people are dead, hundreds are injured and nearly a hundred are missing. Here are some devastating images from the aftermath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Goetz1965

And FOX is giving you the DOOMSDAY NEWS again ... 

colemanlee
20 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

And FOX is giving you the DOOMSDAY NEWS again ... 

Here, got this from the cupcake channel just for you....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

SkyMan

While those tipping buildings look like the rooms are intact I would bet they won't let anyone back in to retrieve anything so I'd imagine their belongings are a total loss.

• Thanks 1

shadow
3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

While those tipping buildings look like the rooms are intact I would bet they won't let anyone back in to retrieve anything so I'd imagine their belongings are a total loss.

No worries, they just prop those tipping buildings up with a few 2X4s, like the Philippines would do.

See about 2:30 in the Fox video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TequilaSunset

I've read elsewhere that it's quality construction that kept the building intact, and not crumbling into dust. I also read others saying it was poor foundations that caused them to tilt.

I'm kinda thinking it's a lot of both... really have no clue. 

• Like 1

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, shadow said:

No worries, they just prop those tipping buildings up with a few 2X4s, like the Philippines would do.

See about 2:30 in the Fox video.

I saw. Looked more like telephone poles to me but just as ineffective.  I'm wondering if those are there more to indicate if the building is still moving?  Or to help a little when further aftershocks come?

• Like 2

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

I've read elsewhere that it's quality construction that kept the building intact, and not crumbling into dust. I also read others saying it was poor foundations that caused them to tilt.

I'm kinda thinking it's a lot of both... really have no clue. 

Might not be the foundations.  With significant lateral shift the basement and lower floors could give way on one side even if the foundation is still solid.

• Like 1

to_dave007
3 hours ago, Kahuna said:

... there was a catastrophe in Taiwan.

How big does an event have to be before it warrants being called a catastrophe?

If we call every little run-of-the-mill event a catastrophe, and gasp and say OMG a lot, I know that the drama is good for selling news papers and air time, but what shall we name a really big event?

Edited by to_dave007

Headshot
1 minute ago, to_dave007 said:

If we call every little event a catastrophe, I know that the drama is good for selling news papers and air time, but what shall we name a really big event?

It's simple. If it affects you, it's a catastrophe. If it doesn't affect you, it isn't a catastrophe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
1 minute ago, Headshot said:

It's simple. If it affects you, it's a catastrophe. If it doesn't affect you, it isn't a catastrophe.

Not quite.  The media like to portray them ALL as a catastrophe.. well..  so long as it's an otherwise slow news day.

to_dave007
3 hours ago, Kahuna said:

I'd prefer you to show a little sympathy to the area affected .....

I'd like to ask WHY it's so important to you that I might show sympathy?

Please don't take this to be a flippant question. I'm serious.

We live in an age where EVERY event, world wide, is captured in living color..  and the pictures and the body counts and the wailing and wringing of hands is flashed around the world in moments..  and we are thus regaled with such news stories day after day after day... Earthquakes..  Typhoons.  Famine..  Volcanoes.  Tornadoes..  Ice Storms..  Tsunami's.  Must we express sympathy each and every time?  Do we not get a day off occasionally.. so that we can enjoy a day of peace, free of the need to express sympathy?

And how do YOU express sympathy?  I know you posted a news article to get all your readers to be sympathetic..  But what do YOU do?  Did you send money or donate to Red Cross?  I know FOX and CNN do it to make money.  But how is your own action in posting the video here at LINC  any more than being voyeuristic?  

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
3 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Not quite.  The media like to portray them ALL as a catastrophe.. well..  so long as it's an otherwise slow news day.

Yeah, but I think most people think for themselves when defining catastrophes, rather than accepting the media's "include everything" definition. For most people, something has to negatively affect them in a substantial way before they define it as a catastrophe. Because we hear about "catastrophes" everyday because of today's lightning-fast media coverage, the word loses its meaning. Even the biggest events are glossed over pretty quickly by anybody who wasn't affected.

• Thanks 1

oztony
2 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

And how do YOU express sympathy?  I know you posted a news article to get all your readers to be sympathetic..  But what do YOU do?  Did you send money or Donate to Red Cross?  How is your own action any more than voyeuristic?  

I suppose with Rep1 being Taiwanese and a member here some people are mindful of this with their approach to the matter , if it happened in Aus, and was made light of I would take umbrage to that..

As for the quoted section of your comment .....seriously....maybe we should insist on a doctors report stating that Kahuna is affected ....would that alleviate any or all of your concerns...

34 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

catastrophe.JPG

This has gone from someone reporting a tragic event to a fatuous line of queries and questions being directed at the poster , if you don't think it is a catastrophic event and are only concerned  about understanding why others would ...I find that sad.

• Like 6