• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kahuna

• Salty Dog

• Headshot

• SkyMan

SkyMan

Don't have a pic but the other day I saw a multicab with a lift gate.  At first I thought it was pretty cool. But then I wondered what very heavy single items would you be regularly hauling which would make a lift gate worth the trouble.  Even household appialances can be loaded by a couple guys.   And how much of the truck's limited payload would you be taking up with all the hydraulics and steel mechanism?   Hmmmmm

Semper paratus
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Don't have a pic but the other day I saw a multicab with a lift gate.  At first I thought it was pretty cool. But then I wondered what very heavy single items would you be regularly hauling which would make a lift gate worth the trouble.  Even household appialances can be loaded by a couple guys.   And how much of the truck's limited payload would you be taking up with all the hydraulics and steel mechanism?   Hmmmmm

Maybe it was for a person in a wheelchair ? I saw something similar not long ago for that purpose.

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Maybe it was for a person in a wheelchair ? I saw something similar not long ago for that purpose.

No, it wasn't a wheelchair lift.  It was a regular tailgate lift.  I suppose some of the smaller wheelchairs could fit on it but usually 3 guys can lift a wheelchair on without too much difficulty.

CardiacKid
10 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Most multicabs have a load capacity of 550 kg. That's about 1200 pounds.  Also, never saw a multicab driver who seemed to care about overloading.

SkyMan
3 hours ago, CardiacKid said:

Most multicabs have a load capacity of 550 kg. That's about 1200 pounds.  Also, never saw a multicab driver who seemed to care about overloading.

I was referring to the physical capacity, not the rated safe payload. 

9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

No, it wasn't a wheelchair lift.  It was a regular tailgate lift.  I suppose some of the smaller wheelchairs could fit on it but usually 3 guys can lift a wheelchair on without too much difficulty.

If tailgate was flat - mine isn't  - delivery guy who doesn't have / want helpers?

Not for wheelchair but something small / heavy  like

5gal water bottles = 42 Lbs / 19 Kg  or 50 Lb / 23 Kg bags of anything

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, lamoe said:

If tailgate was flat - mine isn't  - delivery guy who doesn't have / want helpers?

Not for wheelchair but something small / heavy  like

5gal water bottles = 42 Lbs / 19 Kg  or 50 Lb / 23 Kg bags of anything

Was not a standard multicab tailgate.  It would be useless for water bottles or sacks of cement 40kg. Would have to be a very heavy single items like a piano.  Even engines would be easier to load with a few guys.