Sign in to follow this  
steveh2112

1 Month In the Philippines, Some Practical Advice & Mobile Plans

Woolf
37 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If you get a Globe sim and a Globe load card of 300 pesos or more, the balance is good for a whole year, which is a nice feature.

Smart load is also valid for 1 year  for loads of 300 php and above load cards

you can also load from lazada with your credit card, 5% discount

https://www.lazada.com.ph/mobilerecharge/

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
48 minutes ago, Headshot said:

you should hold back on long-term commitments until after you have known them well for a long time (over a year).

yea thanks where were you 14 years ago when i got married here?   i would type a longer complaint to you but she is yelling at me as i haven't finished sweeping the driveway so i gotta go... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Panserhansen

A road trip on a motorbike is a great way to learn about the country and culture. I have 35.000 km on my bike, mostly around Cebu Island. Start with Cebu-Alcoy - Santander - Moalboal. One night in Alcoy area perhaps then stay in Moalboal for a night or two. Going further north through Barili, you could pay Toledo, the biggest city on the west coast a visit. From here, 20-25 minutes to Balamban and you can either take the scenic Transcentral Highway back to Cebu City or continue further north all the way to Hagnaya and take a ferry to Bantayan and the beaches. Much cheaper and much less tourists than Boracay.

Another option is to check out Dumaguete, take a ferry from Liloan near Santander and you are there in 40 minutes. Dumaguete is a nice city where you can stock up on western supplies. 

Cooking your own food - this should be OK in the smaller resorts, there are plenty along the way. Just ask before you check in, but cooking facilities might not be the best. Offer the host a taste and they will probably accept. others might charge a small fee. Charcoal can be bought everywhere. You will find sea food and veggies at the markets, but bring your own spices. Coriander and lime is not available outside the biggest cities.  Outside Cebu City and Dumaguete, western items are hard to find, even cheese. 

My advice is don't book anything in advance, just go as you like. 

• Like 6

yee
12 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Exactly!

Hence, try the 299 monthly plan, should be fine if he's busy with the ladies and not youtube.

Otherwise GigaSurf 799 is the other monthly plan, 4.5 GB for one month.

Globe GOTSCOMBODD90 – 2GB Data + Unli SMS to All for 7 Days

Headshot
7 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

yea thanks where were you 14 years ago when i got married here?   i would type a longer complaint to you but she is yelling at me as i haven't finished sweeping the driveway so i gotta go... 

Oh sure ... you use me as a straight man ... and not even a like...  :cool:

• Like 2

badian

Cebu city hasn't got anything going for it at all, apart from girls, or if you have a job and you need to be near work. Or if you have medical issues and need to be near clinics and decent hospitals a lot. Other than that there's no real reason to be in Cebu

my suggestion would be to look around on the web , dating websites and social media, and find a companion to bring with you on a motorbike tour. You need a girl that is unemployed really, or a student who is on vacation. If she has a job, that is not good news. Move onto another one. 

it's possible to aquire girls in the province and on islands but it is a hell of a lot more difficult than in cities. Just straight up say to girls online, that you want a companion for your upcoming vacation, you will get plenty of interest. But the most important thing is that they have the free time, to take it. If they haven't, you have to rule them out.

doing your own cooking is very feasible and I have gone around on a motorbike with a complete field kitchen, pots, pans, cookers, food, salt/pepper/spices etc, and it is very do-able even on a small motorbike with a passenger. However you need to have a talent for packing, also automatic motorbikes are much better because you can use the footwell to store quite a lot of the field kitchen and luggage that you would otherwise have to tie on the back rail, of a manual motorbike.

you need to have plenty of plastic boxes for packing. Plenty of plug boards to enable you to use the appliances as hotel and pension house rooms in the Philippines are very often short or plug sockets. You really need to plan it well. I got all my cookers, including a small rice cooker, from my home country, they are available in the Philippines at reasonable prices, but the supply is kind of haphazard. Gas vs. electric : I decided to opt for electric, even though in the province this can mean that you are at the mercy of brownouts, it's overall just better.

having a field kitchen means that having access to a refridgerator is very important. In fact this is the most important thing that your accommodation needs to have.  TV. doesn't matter. Aircon, doesn't matter. Refridgeration matters though, a very great deal. It's the most important thing, and you will find that unfortunately, compared to Thailand in the Philippines finding rooms that have good refridgerators or even ones that have access to shared refridgerators, can be difficult. If there is no refridgerator, you can use cool boxes and ice to cool things down, this is an issue that needs to be continually addressed. If you want to do your own cooking, everything opens up. You go to shops, and the markets all the time, to buy meat and vegetables. Otherwise you are just this saddo that sits in restaurants and eateries all the time when you want to eat. B*O*R*I*N*G.

Internet, get your pocket WiFi, I use SMART it's 1000 for the month or 250 for 7 days, however in some areas there is no SMART or GLOBE signal, however that has never been enough of a problem for me to have a GLOBE pocket WiFi as well. Once or twice, I've moved lodges because they had no SMART signal. Big deal I just moved to some other lodge, where they did. Usually my SMART is sufficient to watch youtube videos OK, the device can power 10 devices, typically I'll watch videos at night on a 14" tablet and with the pocket WiFI you can use numerous other devices as well. With power banks I have been up the mountain occasionally with no electric, no running water, no nothing and still able to watch movies and use internet. 

• Like 2

steveh2112

badian, thanks for the detailed and helpful reply. i suspected cebu was a bit boring and i'm not a city guy. i could never live in bangkok. i like phuket, its big enough that it has everything a bit city has,  but still has a lot of nature, beaches, places to go for a nice quiet beautiful walk (very important part of my day) paces to hang out, places to get away from it all. somewhere in PI like that would be ideal for me.

but i've decided to return to phuket in may/june anyhow. i am tired of traveling and want to spend some time at home, even if my wife doesn't want to stay with me. as i said, before, we have a few apartments, i can stay in one and do some dating in Thailand, see how that works out. if  its not working not, i'll come to PI in December which is our high season, so i can easily rent out my place while i tour PI

Edited by steveh2112

Headshot
22 minutes ago, steveh2112 said:

but i've decided to return to phuket in may/june anyhow. i am tired of traveling and want to spend some time at home, even if my wife doesn't want to stay with me. as i said, before, we have a few apartments, i can stay in one and do some dating in Thailand, see how that works out.

Just make sure you don't become the wabbit...

• Like 1

steveh2112

where would you say is the most phuket/samui like place in PI? a fairly large town/city with plenty of access to shopping, bars, eats, health care if you need it, etc. but still have immediate access to nice beaches, nature walks, i.e. not a concrete jungle, an actual jungle?

thx

badian

no large Philippines cities have 'immeadiate' access to beaches if you want to actually swim in the sea. The water is far too foul and it is every large city too. Cebu is probably the worst, with the largest 'exclusion zone'.  In Cebu, you're looking at a 2 hour minimum journey, and probably more, from the Capitol to swim anywhere without running the risk of getting a disease. The pollution is that bad. 

smaller cities are better. For a mix of "shopping, bars, eats, health care and access to beaches and nature walks" Dumaguete is probably the best fit, with Tagbilaran/Panglao island being in the runners-up spot.

the Philippines is kind of split quite starkly between city and province in a way that Thailand is not, in the same kind of way. If you want "shopping, bars, eats, and health care"  then you usually need to be in a big city. But if you want "nice beaches and nature walks" you have to be well away from any big city. At least 2-3 hours. Thailand's geography is very different from the Philippines. Unless you count Bangkok, there are no large coastal cities in Thailand only small ones. The Philippines has loads of big 300,000 and up sized coastal cities and ports.

• Like 2

lopburi3

Do not believe you are going to find upmarket western tourist meccas like Phuket anywhere in PI.  Actually Manila area and Cebu are about it for large city areas with good infrastructure for socializing/shopping/medical AFAIK (but not there so welcome any corrections).  Clark (Angeles City) may be moving in that direction as Manila moves out the government to there, but no beaches, although plenty of bars and eats.

steveh2112

thanks again badian, i found this interesting https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/10-reasons-to-visit-or-live-in-dumaguete-the-philippines_us_5905eb54e4b084f59b49f9fd

doesn't sound like there's much going on in the evening? where would you find some company (i don't mean short time, i mean for a date with a nice girl?)

Panglao is definitely on my list when i visit

Are there any expats in Panglao? or mostly tourists?

thanks

shadow
23 minutes ago, steveh2112 said:

thanks again badian, i found this interesting https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/10-reasons-to-visit-or-live-in-dumaguete-the-philippines_us_5905eb54e4b084f59b49f9fd

doesn't sound like there's much going on in the evening? where would you find some company (i don't mean short time, i mean for a date with a nice girl?)

Panglao is definitely on my list when i visit

Are there any expats in Panglao? or mostly tourists?

thanks

Dumaguete is growing in leaps and bounds. Although there are no "girlie bars", there is nightlife. If you are into music, there is a growing sector of world class talent here that can be found usually 1-2 nights per week. There is no shortage of bars, girls, and plenty of waterfalls, mountains, beaches and jungle just 15 minutes in any direction.

• Like 1

steveh2112

yes, i'm into music, i play drums. i'm into rock mostly but ok with anything besides DJ and rap/hiphop. what kind of music is there? anyhow, looks like it will go on my list for sure

TequilaSunset
29 minutes ago, shadow said:

Dumaguete is growing in leaps and bounds. Although there are no "girlie bars", there is nightlife. If you are into music, there is a growing sector of world class talent here that can be found usually 1-2 nights per week. There is no shortage of bars, girls, and plenty of waterfalls, mountains, beaches and jungle just 15 minutes in any direction.

Only visited for the day on my last trip. The girls needed to do NBI stuff, so me and the Aussie wandered around, saw a parade, enjoyed a coffee not far from the College. Ended the day visiting a cousin in the sweltering heat, and a long walk from his home to the pier.

In my brief time there I could feel the difference between there and Cebu City. People allowed us to use the crosswalk, less horn honking, a more chill environment IMO. Definitely want to spend more time there in the future, get a better feel for it. Won't get in much traveling next trip, but hopefully the one after that.