Sign in to follow this  
steveh2112

1 Month In the Philippines, Some Practical Advice & Mobile Plans

Jawny

Since the topic has moved from where to stay to internet usage, here’s my comments.  I have both Smart and Globe pocket WiFi devices.  Where I am as I write this, I am getting a 3g signal (according to the device). I am able to web browsing etc.  I can use YouTube with some delay in loading the videos, but tolerable.

Both companies sell the devices and the sim, of course.  In my case I use post paid, but can still have a device with pre paid if I wanted to.  Just takes a bit of effort to get the device loaded.

one advantage for me is that I can use my other gadgets and laptops with the pocket device.

Alfred E. Neuman

Stack up on Ercefuryl, drink only bottled water. Nobody says "me love you longtime".

• Haha 2

Woolf
15 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Giga50 is 1 GB for 3 days

Giga299 is 2 GB but lasts 30 days, and since he's staying a month it seems easier.

If he is going to use youtube as he stated he will eat up 1 GB in no time

and he will not have  unlimited text to all nets with the giga 299

how many times can you load giga 50 for 300 php ??

it is 12, so you get 12 gb for 300 php + unlimited text to all nets

only drawback is you will have to load giga 50 at least every 3 days

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

Woolf
4 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Otherwise GigaSurf 799 is the other monthly plan, 4.5 GB for one mon

with giga 50 it is 16 gb + unlimited text to all nets for 800 php

almost 4 times as much data

• Like 1

steveh2112

i'm looking at airbnbs that have wifi, which i realize is a bit dodgy at best, so the mobile network will just be for backup.

also i'm thinking 2 weeks in Cebu and 2 weeks in Boracay, sound like a fun location

as i said, my first trip is going to be 30 days, so i just want to have fun and get to know the place, culture and ladies a bit. i'll probably be back for a longer visit in september too

CommanderData
2 hours ago, steveh2112 said:

i'm looking at airbnbs that have wifi, which i realize is a bit dodgy at best, so the mobile network will just be for backup.

Ask the AirBnB host what type of internet service it really is and have them provide SpeedTest.net results. Most hosts in Cebu provide either an unloaded pocket WiFi that may not even be LTE capable, or the bare minimum PLDT DSL plan. 

Other tips:

Woolf has a great point. Schedule yourself for 28 days just to be safe, or go to the offices next to immigration booths at the airport and pay for a 59 day visa on arrival at the airport if you'd like to do more than 30 days.

I like to cook at home too. Keep in mind AirBnBs here (even ones that are not studio-sized) may have sub-par kitchens. Think college-dorm sized fridge, one burner hotplate, no microwave, or lacking in pots, pans, dull knives, etc. 

Since it is your first time you should consider staying in the IT Park or around Ayala / Cebu Business Park area for easy access to food, transportation, and areas to meet women. Ayala usually has some "working girls" on patrol, so be mindful. IT Park would probably be somewhat more likely to have women with "real jobs" due to the higher concentration of call center offices. Everything is open 24 hours in the IT Park, Ayala area will be virtually shut down by 10pm.

Edited by CommanderData
OOPS! Address Correction - Thanks Woolf
  • Like 1

Woolf
22 minutes ago, CommanderData said:

SpeedTest.com

speedtest.net ???

http://www.speedtest.net/

Edited by Woolf

CommanderData
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

speedtest.net ???

http://www.speedtest.net/

Haha yes correct, sorry I just typed .com out of habit due to other surfing I was doing at the same time.

I edited my comment so there's no confusion :D

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, CommanderData said:

I like to cook at home too. Keep in mind AirBnBs here (even ones that are not studio-sized) may have sub-par kitchens. Think college-dorm sized fridge, one burner hotplate, no microwave, or lacking in pots, pans, dull knives, etc. 

what we do when we are away from home a bit is simply pick up some breakfast cereals and milk, along with some sangwich-making stuff like bread and meat, cheese and keep it in the room.  this way no big fuss cooking-wise and dinners can be had out.  a 30 day visit with traveling mixed in (hopefully) doesn't leave much time for cooking.:)

• Like 1

Headshot

If you get a Globe sim and a Globe load card of 300 pesos or more, the balance is good for a whole year, which is a nice feature. The one thing you don't want to do is run out of load when you are in the middle of a conversation with some young lady. Free WIFI is available at all of the major malls, as it will likely be if you rent a condo while you are here. Staying in Cebu City and planning one or two day trips to other locations is a good plan. Make use of the short trips to resort areas to get to know the young ladies you are interested in better.

Whatever you do ... DON'T RUSH when it comes to romance. Young women here dare you not to fall in love with them, and it is hard to not do so, but you should hold back on long-term commitments until after you have known them well for a long time (over a year). It is easy to become whomever the person with you wants for a short time, but much more difficult to keep up a facade over a long period. Her true personality will show itself over time.

Woolf
37 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If you get a Globe sim and a Globe load card of 300 pesos or more, the balance is good for a whole year, which is a nice feature.

Smart load is also valid for 1 year  for loads of 300 php and above load cards

you can also load from lazada with your credit card, 5% discount

https://www.lazada.com.ph/mobilerecharge/

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
48 minutes ago, Headshot said:

you should hold back on long-term commitments until after you have known them well for a long time (over a year).

yea thanks where were you 14 years ago when i got married here?   i would type a longer complaint to you but she is yelling at me as i haven't finished sweeping the driveway so i gotta go... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Panserhansen

A road trip on a motorbike is a great way to learn about the country and culture. I have 35.000 km on my bike, mostly around Cebu Island. Start with Cebu-Alcoy - Santander - Moalboal. One night in Alcoy area perhaps then stay in Moalboal for a night or two. Going further north through Barili, you could pay Toledo, the biggest city on the west coast a visit. From here, 20-25 minutes to Balamban and you can either take the scenic Transcentral Highway back to Cebu City or continue further north all the way to Hagnaya and take a ferry to Bantayan and the beaches. Much cheaper and much less tourists than Boracay.

Another option is to check out Dumaguete, take a ferry from Liloan near Santander and you are there in 40 minutes. Dumaguete is a nice city where you can stock up on western supplies. 

Cooking your own food - this should be OK in the smaller resorts, there are plenty along the way. Just ask before you check in, but cooking facilities might not be the best. Offer the host a taste and they will probably accept. others might charge a small fee. Charcoal can be bought everywhere. You will find sea food and veggies at the markets, but bring your own spices. Coriander and lime is not available outside the biggest cities.  Outside Cebu City and Dumaguete, western items are hard to find, even cheese. 

My advice is don't book anything in advance, just go as you like. 

• Like 6

yee
12 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Exactly!

Hence, try the 299 monthly plan, should be fine if he's busy with the ladies and not youtube.

Otherwise GigaSurf 799 is the other monthly plan, 4.5 GB for one month.

Globe GOTSCOMBODD90 – 2GB Data + Unli SMS to All for 7 Days