Sign in to follow this  
steveh2112

Thailand ex-expat thinking about Cebu

Headshot

So ... are you going to divorce your Thai wife?

ex231
1 hour ago, steveh2112 said:

his feeling is that thai women are very much in a relationship for what they can get out of it (money mostly) and more than happy to dump you when they have got what they want.

It is no different with some Pinays, so be careful. Some are heaven and some can be hell.

steveh2112

i don't want to get divorced until after the house sells, if it sells. i figure being married gives me a bit more protection than not, but in Thailand, the farang always gets screwed so i guess i'll have to see how it works.

one thing i really feel i need to point out is how positive and helpful most of these replies have been. on thaivisa i would have got 10 hate posts for every helpful/positive one, that give me some confidence that at least the expats are going to be a lot more friendly.

actually on that subject, what do you all do to keep busy in Cebu? what's the expat social life like? in Phuket its largely about finding your favorite pub and chatting  to the regulars and playing pool. is that the deal in PI or is there more going on?

thanks

steveh2112

i was thinking about some of my negative comments about Thai girls but come to think of it, i know at least 3 thai wives of friends that are great girls, loyal, honest, even through their husbands can be real a-holes a lot of the time. clearly you can't paint everyone with the same brush

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, steveh2112 said:

i was thinking about some of my negative comments about Thai girls but come to think of it, i know at least 3 thai wives of friends that are great girls, loyal, honest, even through their husbands can be real a-holes a lot of the time. clearly you can't paint everyone with the same brush

It seems I might have to change my opinion about you !! :P

lopburi3

Farang (Western foreigner) always gets screwed?  Not always true and makes one wonder if life in PI may be greener grass syndrome.  Expect you will find many of the same issues if you make the wrong choice.  Much more to do with choices made than the country I suspect.  But not saying not to make the jump if your current relationship does not work.  

On above post would point out this is a much smaller forum than Thaivisa and members know each other better.  Thaivisa has a huge number of one time posters who stir the pot whenever they can.  Add that PI is much more a live as an expat location than a tourist mecca so a higher percentage of members will actually have ties to the PI and care.   

• Like 2

Headshot
2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Farang (Western foreigner) always gets screwed?  Not always true and makes one wonder if life in PI may be greener grass syndrome.  Expect you will find many of the same issues if you make the wrong choice.  Much more to do with choices made than the country I suspect. 

Very true. Your choice in female companionship is much more of a factor in your chances of future happiness than your choice of country. As for how foreigners are treated, I suspect that most will find no difference between the two countries. How a foreigner acts toward others is more indicative of how he is treated than the country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

steveh2112
22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Farang (Western foreigner) always gets screwed?  Not always true and makes one wonder if life in PI may be greener grass syndrome.  Expect you will find many of the same issues if you make the wrong choice.  Much more to do with choices made than the country I suspect.  But not saying not to make the jump if your current relationship does not work.  

On above post would point out this is a much smaller forum than Thaivisa and members know each other better.  Thaivisa has a huge number of one time posters who stir the pot whenever they can.  Add that PI is much more a live as an expat location than a tourist mecca so a higher percentage of members will actually have ties to the PI and care.   

hi, lopburi3, i've had many interactions with you on TV when you were a moderator there. so are you in PI now? i'd love to hear your story.

(just looked at your profile, i guess you moved from PI to TH, must have been a while ago)

Edited by steveh2112

lopburi3

Was in PI for 4 years during working life (1985-88).  Have been retired in Bangkok the last 25 years.

jameswan1.jpg

steveh2112

25 years in BKK and still on PI forums, must have left a lasting impression

i agree with your comment about no country or place is going make me happy. and just recently is seems that if it wasn't for bad decisions, i'd have no decisions at all! 

anyhow, i have to stay positive, i'm healthy, got some money in the bank, no debts, not the worst looking guy in the world, i guess i'll be fine. i should look at PI as a exciting new opportunity and try put the heart ache behind me. as much as i love my wife, i must admit, she's never been really affectionate of loving. sex has always been a chore for her, and in the last few years i usually end up watching TV in the bedroom and falling asleep by my self while she watches thai TV til midnight. not that i'm complaining but we could have been closer. maybe more shared interests would have helped.

Edited by steveh2112

lopburi3
42 minutes ago, steveh2112 said:

not that i'm complaining but we could have been closer. maybe more shared interests would have helped.

Indeed - and perhaps you will find that in the PI.  

• Like 1