Thailand ex-expat thinking about Cebu

30 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I agree with 'almost' everything you say Mikala. I had a small accident recently, the other guy was at fault. He was ranting and raving (actually we both were) blaming me until I called him over to my vehicle and showed him my mirror cam which had recorded the incident. I called the police and it was sorted pretty quickly..If you have an accident here and you think you are in the right, hold your ground and don't back off. Even if you think you might be in the wrong don't admit it!! My advice is if you are a foreigner and plan to be driving here, purchase a car cam, it might save you a lot of grief in case of an accident.

Dash cams are common here, but that may not be enough.  Yes, the video can probably be used to argue the merits of who is at fault.  But, it may not do much good if the family is missing a loved one.  

I watched a motorcycle driver cause an accident by making an unsignaled and unexpected u-turn. He had a child,his wife and they were carrying food in large buckets headed out to market.  Apparently, he suddenly realized he forgot something and made this sudden u-turn.  There were several motorcycles behind him, and one was trapped directly into the path.

The collision injured the wife and child, the wife laying on the pavement, not moving, the child screaming.  Without any hesitation, not even a second, the driver of motorcycle that was struck lunged at the colliding driver, yelling and cursing.  It was absolutely clear he had caused the accident.  Absolutely clear he had injured family members.  Absolutely clear he wanted to blame someone other than himself.

More fun here!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveh2112

• lopburi3

• Headshot

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you sure they were not trying to drown you?

I'd recommend that you do NOT buy anything in the Philippines. Just rent a house or condo or whatever. Don't buy a car here either. If there's an accident, even if the other person is at fault, you're

And when I told them that I was not a Christian not a single one of them cared !!       true story ! They include " god fearing man" because they think that that is what they are supposed to look

to_dave007
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 12:31 AM, steveh2112 said:

Her big complaint about me was I complain too much, especially about money. It's true I am a bit of a complainer but i've given her a $250,000 house, car, bikes, gold, money, and....

Just wondering if you've tried simply saying "no" rather than complaining about money so much.  God knows what goes on in a woman's head, but it's my impression that most women (and certainly most Filipina women) would prefer you to be decisive, rather that whining.  So if you wish to change your financial path or habits, just change them. Be reasonable..  but be firmly in control of your finances.

Also..  not sure what it means when you say she doesn't want you back..  I thought you were just working in UK to add assets to the marriage. Unless you are separated already, what does it mean to say she doesn't want you back.  

Edited by to_dave007
13 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Dash cams are common here, but that may not be enough.  Yes, the video can probably be used to argue the merits of who is at fault.  But, it may not do much good if the family is missing a loved one.  

I watched a motorcycle driver cause an accident by making an unsignaled and unexpected u-turn. He had a child,his wife and they were carrying food in large buckets headed out to market.  Apparently, he suddenly realized he forgot something and made this sudden u-turn.  There were several motorcycles behind him, and one was trapped directly into the path.

The collision injured the wife and child, the wife laying on the pavement, not moving, the child screaming.  Without any hesitation, not even a second, the driver of motorcycle that was struck lunged at the colliding driver, yelling and cursing.  It was absolutely clear he had caused the accident.  Absolutely clear he had injured family members.  Absolutely clear he wanted to blame someone other than himself.

More fun here!

No, they are  not so common, and I would say if you have a car and don't have one, purchase one as it just might save you a lot of grief.

Headshot
1 hour ago, Mikala said:

If there's an accident, even if the other person is at fault, you're still to blame, since you're a foreigner (Kano).

Mike, that simply is NOT true. I have had five accidents here, and only one was found to be my fault (I rear-ended a car that stopped very suddenly). If the accident is clearly the other person's fault, the police will likely find it that way. They actually do a pretty good job of investigating accidents here.

• Like 3
shadow
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Mike, that simply is NOT true. I have had five accidents here, and only one was found to be my fault (I rear-ended a car that stopped very suddenly). If the accident is clearly the other person's fault, the police will likely find it that way. They actually do a pretty good job of investigating accidents here.

This may very widely by area!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Headshot
19 minutes ago, shadow said:

This may very widely by area!

Maybe, but from what I can see, it is simply urban legend that the police are biased against foreigners (at least in traffic incidents). Every police I have dealt with here has been courteous and non-biased. That isn't to say that is always the case, but it certainly is the case enough that you can't simply state that Kanos will always be found at fault. It just doesn't hold water.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Cebuandrew
On 2/4/2018 at 12:31 AM, steveh2112 said:

but in the last couple of years I have been working back in the US and UK for about 5-6 months a year and this has caused us to drift apart.

Hi Steve, very sorry to hear that your 12-year marriage just fell apart. Got to be rough. IMO, being away from a spouse 5-6 months a year might very well cause a strain on any marriage...no matter what culture she is from. Thai, Filipina, American, etc. In Bantayan, I had 2 American friends with good, well grounded longterm gf's, but both men were gone 6 months a year working in the U.S. They'd come back, I would socialize with them a little, and I could always see the tremendous strain on the relationships caused by the last absense. My advice is to not come here looking for something serious, until you have the time to invest in it.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

I was in 2 accidents in Davao City . Both times the police found the pinoy bus driver at fault . 

shadow
10 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Maybe, but from what I can see, it is simply urban legend that the police are biased against foreigners (at least in traffic incidents). Every police I have dealt with here has been courteous and non-biased. That isn't to say that is always the case, but it certainly is the case enough that you can't simply state that Kanos will always be found at fault. It just doesn't hold water.

I've seen both kinds. There are good cops and there are bad cops, and then there are those that go to the highest bidder (bribe). Into which category would you place those?

:offtopic:

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
Mikala
13 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That isn't to say that is always the case, but it certainly is the case enough that you can't simply state that Kanos will always be found at fault. It just doesn't hold water.

With the risk of encountering a police officer that is biased, I still would not risk driving a car or truck here. It's so much cheaper, easier and more convenient (except when it rains) to use Uber or a taxi here. I'm risk adverse. :)

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I would agree with you,  the police here are usually respectful towards foreigners. But if you have an accident and you have been drinking, then you may have a problem!!

Not going all Dear Abbey here but perhaps you need to fully understand what happened between you and wife number 2 before worrying about wife #3. Perhaps a heart to heart talk with the guy in the mirror that you shave with might be in order.

If I was in your position I certainly wouldn't consider living in the PI.The lawlessness, filth, corruption, disrespect to foreigners, typhoons, etc gets tiresome over time. Thailand too suffers from some of these same problems but I'm guessing not at the same level.

Eastern Europe is an better option for expats IMO.This is where the wife and I might be going next. Take a read. http://alittleadrift.com/cost-of-living/eastern-europe/

Money seems to go about as far as in Thailand. Dealing with the winters again would be a bitch though.And yes, there are Asian women in Eastern Europe.Hope that this helps.

On 2/3/2018 at 11:31 PM, steveh2112 said:

I've never been to the Philippines

My suggestion is that you visit the Phils before you make any serious plans.

I have spent a lot of time in both Thailand and the Philippines.  Thailand is much better for food, hotels, and infrastructure.  I spent 6 years living in the Phils, and I like it there, but I think Thailand is much easier when it comes to transportation, eating and hotels/apartments

Edited by Don.
steveh2112
7 hours ago, Mikala said:

I'd recommend that you do NOT buy anything in the Philippines. Just rent a house or condo or whatever. Don't buy a car here either. If there's an accident, even if the other person is at fault, you're still to blame, since you're a foreigner (Kano). Buying a scooter isn't a bad deal though. Also would recommend against getting married again. Find a girl that will stick with you without marriage.

lots of great advice here. i'm definitely regretting making such a big commitment to Thailand. i'm stuck with an expensive house that i can't sell. the only upside is it makes good airbnb income and my wife is happy to take care of it for a half share of the income.

i have no interest in a car and don't even mind long term rent on a bike, it sounds really cheap.

also ok with renting a place. i know how hard it is to move around in Thailand now because of the house and don't want to do that again.

as far as never getting married, i'm not sure about that. i hate being alone and don't really want to get into a life of never ending girl swapping, certainly not at my age. in another thread i started about a 1 month trip, i got some advice about living with someone for at least a year before making any long term commitment, i think that's great advice. but even that is no guarantee. i lived with my current wife for 2 or 3 years before we got married and i would still be with her now if i had the choice.

Edited by steveh2112
  • Like 1