Sign in to follow this  
Sunflower1

Survivor benefits got suspended

Sunflower1

Hi guys,

I am living here in Philippines with my 2 children. And we were currently receiving survivor benefits. Do you have any idea why Social Security stop sending us? My kids are 5 & 10 years old. I just don't have an idea why it got suspended. By the way, do you know the forms that I should fill out and send it to them? I probably miss a thing here.

Answers are highly appreciated.

Headshot

You need to talk with the Social Security people at the US Embassy in Manila (you can get their number online on the US Embassy website). Every year, Social Security sends a form out in the US mail that you have to fill in and send back to confirm that the person is still alive (yes, that includes children). Of course, if you don't have a US address (such as through RAO for retired military and their dependents), that can be a bit problematic. We all know how unreliable PhilPost is at getting letters from the US to you here. If you were living in the US instead of the Philippines, this wouldn't ever be required, but you aren't). If they have already cut off benefits, it is likely that you will have to either have a face-to-face meeting with somebody from Social Security (either at the embassy or when they have an outreach at the US Consular Office in Cebu), or you will have to get the forms, and get them sent in to Social Security in the US (there is only one Social Security office in the US that handles this, so you need to have the proper address for that office. Social Security looks for any reason to cut off benefits to anybody living outside the US (and this is one of their favorite tactics), so you have to stay on top of this every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Semper paratus

I don't have a U.S. address , just the one here and I have gotten my form every year for 8 years now. Maybe I am just lucky. I tell the wife don't forget to tip the postman so he remembers us. Of course you surely do not have to tip him but that small amount is well worth it. I get 3 letters a year from S.S. and have gotten everyone. If I don't see the one letter that has to be signed and returned by sometime in July I would question S.S. about not getting it. july is when I get mine. You may be different. You have to stay on top of your S.S. payments, address and so on. I know of one guy that didn't get his letter and he just ignored it so they stopped his payments to his bank here. it was a real pain to get started again for him. Again you have to take some responsibility for knowing the rules and procedures.  Good luck to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Headshot
26 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

I don't have a U.S. address , just the one here and I have gotten my form every year for 8 years now. Maybe I am just lucky. I tell the wife don't forget to tip the postman so he remembers us. Of course you surely do not have to tip him but that small amount is well worth it. I get 3 letters a year from S.S. and have gotten everyone. If I don't see the one letter that has to be signed and returned by sometime in July I would question S.S. about not getting it. july is when I get mine. You may be different. You have to stay on top of your S.S. payments, address and so on. I know of one guy that didn't get his letter and he just ignored it so they stopped his payments to his bank here. it was a real pain to get started again for him. Again you have to take some responsibility for knowing the rules and procedures.  Good luck to you.

My letters come in May, so I guess it might be different for everybody, but living in the Philippines, you can pretty much guarantee that you will get one each year. BTW, PhilPost has had an absolutely horrible record getting letters to us from the US. I did get one letter from Social Security through PhilPost, but it had been opened (I suppose to see if there was money inside). Most just never came. Once I got an FPO address at RAO, I never again had a problem getting all of my US mail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tonny

Just call the embassy and they will turn the checks back on quick explain if they turn off because you or the wife not send in required forms on time . It use totakes months years ago but now usually a couple of days good luck.

• Like 1

Bama

I don't receive any mail through PhilPost.

I use a company called USABox out of Miami.They send you a scan of everything that shows up---you can keep or discard as you choose.It's $10 a month.When you have your mail shipped to the PI it costs around $50 using priority mail (DHL,FedEx,etc). They tack on another $25 or so if you live a bit out of a major city.No, I'm not a rep for USABox and there are probably cheaper services out there.