Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Speaking Of Ormoc

Jim Sibbick
17 hours ago, liquido said:

Let me ask you this? Would you fly from Davao to Cebu then take the ferry to Ormoc just to check it out knowing what you know now about the city?Do not take as an insult....I think im talking myself out of going there...haha

Yes.

Ormoc has been my go to place for shopping since 1995. With ex wife family or ex fiance family or by myself, i have bought fridges, sala sets, household goods such as buckets and garbages, jewellery, household furniture such as tables, TV's and more. 

I don't necessarily mean go there to live. I am happy 60km away in Palompon. 

Because of a funeral, I spent 5 days there in August. I wanted to stay at Don Felipe or close by. I had to split my stay between IA lodge and Don Felipe as neither had a room for 5 days straight. I was happy with both but I am a budget traveller. Don Felipe has high end rooms with baths in the bathrooms and balconies over looking the bay. I have stayed in those rooms before. This trip I was paying for 5 of us and we stayed in a family room in the annexe at the rear. I can't remember the price but it was between P1000 and P2000 per night. Then we moved across the road to I A Lodge. Another family room for about the same price.

One of our group was staying at Ormoc Villa. It may be old but it has been refurbished and looks VERY nice inside. I spent some relaxation time by the pool with my friend who was staying there. He was in a family room too. I can't remember the price but I remember thinking the price was ok

• Like 4

Soupeod
2 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

One of our group was staying at Ormoc Villa. It may be old but it has been refurbished and looks VERY nice inside. I spent some relaxation time by the pool with my friend who was staying there. He was in a family room too. I can't remember the price but I remember thinking the price was ok

I think I paid around 2000-2500 pesos a night last March.  Not sure about now because I have not used agoda to check :) Which you should do as mention before.

• Like 1

hyaku

Don Filipe staff pointed out to me that they are at the same prices they had before Yolanda (2013). Other places priced up and stayed up. Nice to have basement car park there but the damaged furniture is still stacked up and spaces are limited. 

• Like 2

Soupeod

I went here for lunch and a cold San Miguel yesterday.  Very nice resort. About 10k (6 miles) south of Ormoc City. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Soupeod

Sabin's resort

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soupeod

Palompon Leyte

As Jim said, this is up the road 60k (36 miles).

Edited by soupeod
  • Like 3

Mandingo

As some have said Sabin's and Lake Danao are nice and Baybayan ni Agalon in Alburea is  good too.

For food Martinelli's Pizza, Sal's Restaurant, Big Roys, Sabin's and Jo's Milagrina are all good. There was a new resort that opened, or about to open, just past Sabins that has a pool and restaurant that was just opening last month, looked like it might be nice when it opens. Think it was called La Viga or something like that. One place that really sucked was a place between the city and Sabin's on the water, think it was Captain something or another. Took my wife, her family and my mom there last month and nobody finished their food, not good at all. 

Edited by Mandingo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

colemanlee

You guys local to Ormoc, whats the restaurant that sits just across the street to the left of Robinsons grocery, has a curved metal roof and sits right on the corner?   Some of the best Bar b Que Ive ever eaten...

• Like 2

Soupeod
1 hour ago, colemanlee said:

You guys local to Ormoc, whats the restaurant that sits just across the street to the left of Robinsons grocery, has a curved metal roof and sits right on the corner?   Some of the best Bar b Que Ive ever eaten...

I have not been there yet but will check back and report in.  I just left Robinsons. Fat Choi?

Edited by soupeod

colemanlee

Nope, next door

Soupeod

Lee, I will check on that place.

Here is a quick Lake Danao video.

badian

in Ormoc the place to stay is especially either David's Inn or Christina Business Suites. David's has pretty swish rooms really, for only 900. Christina's is cheaper but the rooms aren't as nice. Don Felipe is kind of decayed and was kind of decayed even 10 years ago. Pongo's is overpriced. There's probably loads of other options much better than those two who's names always seem to come up. There's a GV but even though it is cheap the rooms are not the best value. Pay 200 pesos more at David's and you get a much better room which would cost at least 1500 were it in Cebu city. Ormoc is a pretty good DIA town, it's populated enough for there to be a decent pool of girls there and they don't need much encouragement to come in from the smaller towns around.

liquido
18 minutes ago, badian said:

in Ormoc the place to stay is especially either David's Inn or Christina Business Suites. David's has pretty swish rooms really, for only 900. Christina's is cheaper but the rooms aren't as nice. Don Felipe is kind of decayed and was kind of decayed even 10 years ago. Pongo's is overpriced. There's probably loads of other options much better than those two who's names always seem to come up. There's a GV but even though it is cheap the rooms are not the best value. Pay 200 pesos more at David's and you get a much better room which would cost at least 1500 were it in Cebu city. Ormoc is a pretty good DIA town, it's populated enough for there to be a decent pool of girls there and they don't need much encouragement to come in from the smaller towns around.

Im pretty sure it was Paul the exforum owner here that recommended Cristina Business Suites on a thread a long time back...My one friend told me he thought there was a big influx of woman from Tacloban that moved to Ormoc after they got smacked with Typhoon Yolanda...Could be true..So far a good mix of posts here about hotels/restaurants...Would be nice if there were motorbike rentals there to explore the inner city but like someone mentioned its not a tourist destination unlike Bantayan,Dumaguete,Bohol.....etc 

• Like 1

hyaku

I saw no influx of girls. After Yolanda Ormoc like Tacloban was smashed to pieces with no roofs, power etc. Around 4000 people with a waiting number sitting around for two days just to get on a boat and get out. It took us 3 weeks to evacuate to Cebu.

I don't stay in town much. Reason being I have frozen food and tropical fish to get home. Last time I stayed in Sugarland next door to the burned down Gaisano for less than PHP 1000. 

badian

very much doubt if there is anybody renting motorbikes in Ormoc. Leo at Chamorita's in Catmon, Naval, Biliran is now renting them but I doubt if there is anybody else in the whole of Leyte that is doing it in any kind of systematic way. 

most of the Samar and Leyte refugees ended up in northern Cebu, where many still are but a lot have scattered. I met a few that were getting some kind of financial assistance from somewhere not sure if it was the government or some charity. One girl in Compostela who was being housed for free and who said that she had lost her whole family was paid 7,000 a month for I think 30 months afterwards, after that they pulled the plug. She went to Manila to look for work. Ormoc did get fecked but it recovered really quite quickly, by the time I went back for the first time in November 2015 by looks alone you would not have been able to tell that there had been a typhoon at all. At that time, on Bantayan you would definitely known that something had happened - a lot of wrecked places were still visible at that time there.