Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Speaking Of Ormoc

liquido

I have had Ormoc on my go to radar for awhile and now with this new 2go ferry it reminded me..First of all do they have any motorbike rental there,I know its asking alot..As far as hotels go I see the Don Felipe is close to the pier(I guess the center piece hotel) but I think its only 2 star..I also saw mentioned here a long time back Cristina Business suites  and a cheapy place called Davids Inn..I will be bringing a ladyfriend  so im looking for a Hotel with close proximity within downtown if im not able to rent a motorbike to roam around the city..I read an old thread here from 2011 Dumaguete vs Ormoc and was wondering if alot has changed ..... 

Jawny

I don’t live in Ormoc, but do shop there.  There is another hotel slightly further from the pier, but easy walk or ride.  I’ll get the name as memories are poor about hotels.  Don Felipe is immediately alongside the piers.

The City is constantly improving itself, which means a lot of construction and traffic route changes.  Parking is an issue as street parking is greatly restricted.  

Several hospitals and clinics.  Some clinics are with doctors coming from Cebu or Tacloban once or twice a week.

Shopping will improve dramatically when construction ends on new malls and stores.  For now it is adequate, but limited.  Not quite at the end of the logistic pipeline, but close. Out of stock a familiar refrain.

there is a warfront Park, but I can’t comment since I don’t use it.  There had been a significant drug use concern with the associated crime.  For many years a salvaged druggie would be dumped a few km from where I live ecery month or so.  Albuera is close by and had a major drug industry but everyone got busted or killed.  Just a few assasins remain to kill witnesses once in a while.

There are likely some interesting areas to explore on a bike.  I’ve not had the impression thisnis a tourist destination.  Some resorts are nearby the city, a twenty minute drive.

The hotels are Sabin resort, a five or ten minute drive from the pier.  Quite nice years ago when I stayed.  

Ormoc villa is another one I stayed in years ago.  Old, but clean and reasonable.  Walking distance from piers.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jester

I have stayed at Don Felipe a few times.  Other than it is conveniently located it has no redeeming features! It's downtown,  it's better than sleeping in the park.   Have not stayed anywhere else in Ormac. 

• Thanks 1

colemanlee

We stay at Sabines quite a lot...last time they were constructing some stuff and it looked a little rough...but they should be done by now...the pool and service was pretty much the best in Leyte...as I remember the rooms were about 2500p per night...

Wife just rents a trike to go anywhere...but Im sure they could put you on a bike rental

http://sabinhotelormoc.com/

liquido
13 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I don’t live in Ormoc, but do shop there.  There is another hotel slightly further from the pier, but easy walk or ride.  I’ll get the name as memories are poor about hotels.  Don Felipe is immediately alongside the piers.

The City is constantly improving itself, which means a lot of construction and traffic route changes.  Parking is an issue as street parking is greatly restricted.  

Several hospitals and clinics.  Some clinics are with doctors coming from Cebu or Tacloban once or twice a week.

Shopping will improve dramatically when construction ends on new malls and stores.  For now it is adequate, but limited.  Not quite at the end of the logistic pipeline, but close. Out of stock a familiar refrain.

there is a warfront Park, but I can’t comment since I don’t use it.  There had been a significant drug use concern with the associated crime.  For many years a salvaged druggie would be dumped a few km from where I live ecery month or so.  Albuera is close by and had a major drug industry but everyone got busted or killed.  Just a few assasins remain to kill witnesses once in a while.

There are likely some interesting areas to explore on a bike.  I’ve not had the impression thisnis a tourist destination.  Some resorts are nearby the city, a twenty minute drive.

The hotels are Sabin resort, a five or ten minute drive from the pier.  Quite nice years ago when I stayed.  

Ormoc villa is another one I stayed in years ago.  Old, but clean and reasonable.  Walking distance from piers.

I get the opinion that any expat that lives there is because his wife or GF is from there... ..maybe I will rethink my plans...

colemanlee
1 minute ago, liquido said:

I get the opinion that any expat that lives there is because his wife or GF is from there... ..maybe I will rethink my plans...

Its not as bad as some make out....we travel from Tacloban City to there a lot...in fact during Yolanda times it was where we had to go for grocerys....Baybayon ni Agalon is our go to resort with the kids....probably take them there every couple of months....the wife and I like Sabine's to just get away by ourselves....there is a great outdoor restaurant next to Robinsons Grocery

• Like 2

liquido

Let me ask you this? Would you fly from Davao to Cebu then take the ferry to Ormoc just to check it out knowing what you know now about the city?Do not take as an insult....I think im talking myself out of going there...haha

Edited by liquido

colemanlee
11 minutes ago, liquido said:

Let me ask you this? Would you fly from Davao to Cebu then take the ferry to Ormoc just to check it out knowing what you know now about the city?Do not take as an insult....I think im talking myself out of going there...haha

In a word, No....If I were going to all that trouble..there are probably at least a thousand places I would rather spend the time and money on....Northern and Eastern Samar, Southern Leyte...Palompon is beautiful on the west coast of Leyte and you can take a pump boat to several islands....wife and I went to Bantanyan Island a couple of times and loved that place...

• Like 1

Jawny

As I said, I don’t live in Ormoc City.  I don’t want to bad mouth a community that may have hidden gems that some other l8nc member will point out.  However, your question about whether a trip to Ormoc is worth it, I’ll offer you this opinion.

I live in a rural area. Don’t want to live in a city in the Philippines.  However, if I did live in Cebu, for example, I would NOT take a ferry ride to come and hangout in Ormoc.

Even so, Leyte is beautiful and there are pleasant drives in many areas.  Every once in a while, like for annual registration or gun permit I’ll travel to Tacloban using the route from Baybay city.  It is a very windy road but with some nice vistas.  It’s also fun to get to the east side of Leyte and see the ocean.  Closer to the city, not easy to see. 

No offense to those living there, but Tacloban is a city I want to leave as soon as I arrive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

colemanlee
14 minutes ago, Jawny said:

No offense to those living there, but Tacloban is a city I want to leave as soon as I arrive.  

No offence taken, I we did not have the land and businesses we have, if the kids were not going to school here...we would be gone in a second....fortunately where we live is something like 20 clicks out of the city...so I rarely have to go there...but IMHO, Tacloban is the most nasty, crowded over trafficked place I have ever seen..

• Like 1

Soupeod

Personally I like Ormoc and I chose this city above others because for me and my tastes it has every thing I need. 

I would recommend Ormoc Villa hotel for downtown area.

I still need to visits Sabin’s resort swimming pool as Lee said looks amazing.

lake Danao a short ride to the mountains and cool air is very nice; pack a lunch and enjoy the day; free aircon and St Carmel Church is near there

again in my list is as Lee and Jim talked about is Palompom and the beautiful islands a banca ride away

Ormoc has Robinsons supermarket, Gaisano mall and they are building a SM mall

The people here are very friendly

I usually ride my trike around town.

it all depends on what you are looking for ?

would i go out of my way to visit, i actually did in Feb/Mar, Billiran, Ormoc and Cebu areas. Maybe plan for Ormoc, the islands and Billiran. You would enjoy youself IMO

Edited by soupeod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

shadow
2 hours ago, Jawny said:

there is a warfront Park, but I can’t comment since I don’t use it.  

I thought they only had those in Mindanao!

:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

hyaku

Was there last week. Don Filipe is ok. Lorenzo's to the left of the hotel is not bad for food. There is another hotel called Pongos a bit further back (Don't be put off by the name) Sabin will cost you! Security is rather overzealous at Sabin by checking bags as you go back to your room. I understand them not wanting you to take food back to the room and make you eat in their restaurant but we had grocery shopping and can hardly leave it in the car.

• Like 4

RR3

Highlights of Ormoc:

1. Night market w fried squid 3p a piece. Very nice compared to 'tempura' w no taste

2. Waterfront park has cheap redhorse, gets quite loud by sunset, lot of girls :thumbs_up:

Ormoc: Mostly harmless

• Like 3

tonny

Try the  Travelers  Inn i think that the correct  name , have stayed there many times has a nice piano bar ,real clean and for two people under 1400 P a night ,easy to get to all places from there two min too Jolie bee and two min too Dun-kin Donuts and 4 min too Don Felipe hotel  .A good Pizza place is Matinells pizza  no additives and great pizza for 300P or less best cooked twice so it crunchy ,the owner is the ex mayors brother,they also have a beer call Manila beer lite  at 7 % alcoholic as Red horse 6.9 % and much cheaper still i think 35 P .Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1