scamed by Cebu City family

Alan S

The initial response of many people upon reading this, or similar, stories is to say that the person sending the money is a fool.

However, it is usually those who are kind hearted, generous, and dont think in criminal or devious ways, that are the most likely to get scammed.

Of course, the scammers know this and play upon it.

Hence those who get scammed are often the "nicest" people.

But also, sadly, naive.

NOTE. I have edited some of the above posts due to comments regarding potential libel.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ckfm

• Markham

• Huck Finn

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul
Now I getting a better handle in why the World Wide Recession isn't hitting the Philippines as hard as I expected.

I don't know if I could live on that amount here for more than... oh... four years.

The initial response of many people upon reading this, or similar, stories is to say that the person sending the money is a fool.

However, it is usually those who are kind hearted, generous, and dont think in criminal or devious ways, that are the most likely to get scammed.

But also, sadly, naive.

NOTE. I have edited some of the above posts due to comments regarding potential libel.

Somebody looking for revenge cannot be that nice.

A_Simple_Man
February 13, 2009 I receive an E-Mail form Karen stating That she never Loved me and won't marry that all she . . .

This is an interesting twist. I seldom hear of a successful scammer admitting to the con. Usually it goes on until you figure it out for yourself and stop being conned.

Is it possible that you inferred what you wanted to believe from your dealings with her? She would have been only too happy to go along with the money flow, until you pushed hard enough to cross the line from nice guy to stalker to a vengeful, hurt, ex friend who did not get what he wants.

joe kordapyo

Scamed u might be, reporter you are, indeed...Caviat Fool your are for certain...if you had known the realities & culture, you would have you money still...a fool and his $ are soon parted! You need to pay them Consultant Fees....the concert created this post....PS: you don't mention her attributes...or her CP #.....:P

I am James A. Skelly of North East Pennsylvania U.S.A. I have been scamed for two years by Karen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx of cebu City.

It all started on February 23, 2007 I met Karen on a country music chat room on yahoo messenger chat rooms. She was so sweet and and nice, the perfect girl she apeared. Soon we were thlking marriage and Karen coming to the U.S.A. then March 2007 Karen need money for her tuition at College, she was going to be my wife so I sent it to her.

April she asked me to keep her that her father no longer can. I agreed. I recieved a greeting card from Karen Father asking me to keep his Daughter he no longer can. I started sending her $300.00 a month but soon that wasn't enough so I sent $500.00 many month she need more in the middle of the month as well. Karen told me she was a virgin and never had a Boy Friend in her life. So I sent extra money for Birthdays, holidays, ect.

Then I went to Cebu City to see Karen on April 4, 2008 ( i found out from a friend of Karens later that Karen was Pregnant when I got there ) The first time we were alone Karens clothes came off right away, I couldn't believe my eyes, I had never had this happen before.

Most nights Karen would stay with me all night in the Hotel.

While I was there Karen needed an Air condicioner and many expensive idems. I left April 30, 2008 after asking for Karens Father for her hand and we were engaged to be married. Later I found out from many of Karens friends that she was scaming a Philippine Soldier at the same time she was scaming me. His name is Arnold xxx and Karen was pregnat with his baby when I was visiting her. I was imformed that Karen xxxx had an Abortion 3 days after I left for the States.

One week after her abortion Karen show up at her Girl friends house with a new boy friend 28, yrs. old. Juvy said aren't you still engaged to James? Karen replied He won't know he Is far away. As time went by Karen told me to aply for the K-1 visa, So I did. We received the K-1 papers and I sent mine in and told Karen she has to get them back to the Lawyer.The very next day February 13, 2009 I recieve an E-Mail form Karen stating That she never Loved me and won't marry that all she wanted was my money.

She then changed all the families cell phone numbers that I bought for them. Had a computer expert, Lee Change her Screen name and block me from contacting her. I recieved a Message from Karens Neighbor stating that In June 2009 Karen had started to scam an other American Black man while engaged to me. He is coming to visit Karen very sooon as I did and many others have done in the past.

They Tell me Karen Mother takes all the money Karen recieves and disstubutes it to the whole family because none of them will work. Karen Sister A J is the one that kept calling me and telling my how much her sister loves me , that she can't live with out me. I had sent Karen over two years I estimate $54,540.00. Juvy said Arnold sent Karen money every two weeks.

Now this Black American is getting the same treatment and don't even know he is being scamed by this family. A J also borrowed money from me twice and I never was payed it back. I payed for the funeral for Karen's cousin that was shot and killed while robbing a store there also.

This family is very corupt and living very well seeing none of them work. Is it possible to get my Engagment ring back and Some of my money they scamed from me. Thank you very much for your time.

I was advised to come on this site to file my complaint by a Cebu Business Woman that is sick of these families distroying the tourist trade and public relations for your Counrty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to remove names, due to possible infringement of libel laws.

I am sure Jimmy will be happy to supply them, and perhaps other information, by PM or email, when appropriate.

Alan S.

QUOTE (Alan S @ Apr 18 2009, 10:03 PM)

But also, sadly, naive.

I whole heartily agree with the above.... thank God it has never happened to me.

'scianna54' date='Apr 18 2009, 09:09 AM' post='91862']

Somebody looking for revenge cannot be that nice.

[/color]

Assuming that it is all true, I don't get the feeling from his post that he is looking for revenge, sounds more like a warning to others to me.... asking he if he can get back his engagement ring isn't too much to ask is it. Filing any sort of complaint would also be reasonable IMO.... it may stop it happening to others.

Spending a few $'s to have her sorted... now that would constitute revenge !!

eggnoggin

Just to put scamming and handlers in a perspective of scale .......ceo of top 100 corp ...thinks he is the sharpest tack in the box.......moves to central america...builds a nice home.....buys several hi end suvs.. boats....condos.......opens miami club restaurant to sponser U S residence for his new latina wifes sons....invests in real estate ...buisinesses....goes from 30 million to 2 million in 6 years.......divorced ...then builds a nice place in the hills not too far from mels .....marries the maid :P 6 months later he is shooting shabu with toothless hookers and living in his whopper home on 1200 a month........to sweeten the kiss....the maid- wife and gardener boyfriend beat him to death.. and bury him half a mile up the mountain ......then continue to live in the house with a glittering assortment of criminals and addicts....most of the culprits were prosecuted and relieved of any residual funds by the "professional criminal class ".... given showcase protracted sentences...then early released to be used as indentured scammers :lol:.. someone who serviced and built his quite impressive array of computers followed this odyssey in minutiae from start to finish after his death...."all the things we ever knew will be ashes in that hour..... mark the transient butterfly how it hangs upon the flower" :lol::lol:

When the student is ready the teacher appears.You have-she needs-you gave -she took.I don't think you are a fool at all,it was just the time in your life where teacher and student met.As difficult as it may be-take it as one of those great big lessons-learn to laugh at yourself about what happened and move on with what you have learned.

*Because it's easy to do-I would edit out my full name and location.

Edited by ayala

I've been scammed and I agree it's the nice guys who get fooled.

I still consider myself a nice guy but I've learned...

mattwilkie

Hi James,

just want to say what i do with some of the things in Cebu "S*it happens" simply there is no point dwelling on it because you wont recover any of the money because it will be seen as "gifted" and people dont have to go as far as the Philippines to have something like this happen. A friend of mine moved in with a girl extended and altered the house they were together for 2 yrs. One day comes home lock is changed and her ex husband has moved back in. House was in her name as he had only extended and altered it to take it from what would be a

udonthani

I had sent Karen over two years I estimate $54,540.00

it just beggars belief. OP, if you had been familiar with this little rhyme, perhaps you would never have gotten yourself into this mess in the first place :

Pinay girls hang out on Hope St,

in every shape and every size,

they look like a million dollars,

but I got two for twenty-five.

it's pretty clear that you could have spent your money more wisely.

Popcornman

This is quite a story to read :P 54K is a lot of money to be sending. I just find it very hard to believe that someone can spend 2 years (in love) with someone and not try to find out more

about their life, their country that they live in, their upbringing, and other social concerns if you are planning to marry this person. I only say this because i have been chatting and getting to know

my pinay fiance since Dec. 08. But, i tried to read up on the Philippines culture and history. I also read many other message boards gleaning information on how successful Phil/Amer relationships

can survive. I have read many good and bad things over this time all the while getting to know my fiance better and visiting her for 33 days in early Feb. 08.

I traveled with her to her province and met her entire family staying with them in their home for awhile. It was an amazing experience that i will never forget, they accepted me as one of the family

and i fell in love with them and miss them now that i away. I wanted to know my fiance's history and upbringing. I wanted to learn her experience and hardships in order to understand her better

and make sure our relationship is on common ground with love, respect and God as our foundation. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and i have no doubts we will be together

for the rest of our lives.

Maybe i just look at things differently than Jimmy from PA, but i find it hard to believe that he just took her word in everything and never went out on his own to learn anything about this country,

its people and the social and economic reality that is the Phils. When she said that $300 a month is not enough, he just said "well, how much do you need then?" instead of finding out on his own

just how much $300 US means here in this economy :)

I am not flaming Jimmy at all here, just trying to understand how he can go on for 2 years believing every word she said. In my case i have had a hunger to find out about the Philippine culture

in just the past 6 months, and have learned quite a bit and continue to learn more everyday. If he truly did mean to marry this girl and bring her back to the US and live happily everafter

i would hope that he might put some thought into finding out more about her culture.

On a side note, once you file for a US visa (K-1) you cannot reapply for another one until 5 years has passed, unless he applies for a fiance from another country other than the Philippines.

Markham
On a side note, once you file for a US visa (K-1) you cannot reapply for another one until 5 years has passed, unless he applies for a fiance from another country other than the Philippines.

I don't believe it is even possible for an American to obtain a K-1 for someone he's never met in person.

seattle2cebu

come to cebu and live here in person and get to know a girl and her history and how she is.

the sister of my girlfriend is a similar cat to the one you describe, but my girlfriend so far isnt of that type.

takes time to get to know someone, and its impossible to do it online.. You can conversate online, but you will

not know the truth about a person that way.

i was taken in also by a girl, to the tune of much less money than you describe,( about 12,000) so this time, I sent far less money,

just enough for chat and some food, and sometimes no money at all for periods of time. She kept coming back to

chat. Dont send money and see if they still come around to chat is one way to do it.

Edited by seattle2cebu