scamed by Cebu City family

I am James A. Skelly of North East Pennsylvania U.S.A. I have been scamed for two years by Karen xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx of cebu City.

It all started on February 23, 2007 I met Karen on a country music chat room on yahoo messenger chat rooms. She was so sweet and and nice, the perfect girl she apeared. Soon we were thlking marriage and Karen coming to the U.S.A. then March 2007 Karen need money for her tuition at College, she was going to be my wife so I sent it to her.

April she asked me to keep her that her father no longer can. I agreed. I recieved a greeting card from Karen Father asking me to keep his Daughter he no longer can. I started sending her $300.00 a month but soon that wasn't enough so I sent $500.00 many month she need more in the middle of the month as well. Karen told me she was a virgin and never had a Boy Friend in her life. So I sent extra money for Birthdays, holidays, ect.

Then I went to Cebu City to see Karen on April 4, 2008 ( i found out from a friend of Karens later that Karen was Pregnant when I got there ) The first time we were alone Karens clothes came off right away, I couldn't believe my eyes, I had never had this happen before.

Most nights Karen would stay with me all night in the Hotel.

While I was there Karen needed an Air condicioner and many expensive idems. I left April 30, 2008 after asking for Karens Father for her hand and we were engaged to be married. Later I found out from many of Karens friends that she was scaming a Philippine Soldier at the same time she was scaming me. His name is Arnold xxx and Karen was pregnat with his baby when I was visiting her. I was imformed that Karen xxxx had an Abortion 3 days after I left for the States.

One week after her abortion Karen show up at her Girl friends house with a new boy friend 28, yrs. old. Juvy said aren't you still engaged to James? Karen replied He won't know he Is far away. As time went by Karen told me to aply for the K-1 visa, So I did. We received the K-1 papers and I sent mine in and told Karen she has to get them back to the Lawyer.The very next day February 13, 2009 I recieve an E-Mail form Karen stating That she never Loved me and won't marry that all she wanted was my money.

She then changed all the families cell phone numbers that I bought for them. Had a computer expert, Lee Change her Screen name and block me from contacting her. I recieved a Message from Karens Neighbor stating that In June 2009 Karen had started to scam an other American Black man while engaged to me. He is coming to visit Karen very sooon as I did and many others have done in the past.

They Tell me Karen Mother takes all the money Karen recieves and disstubutes it to the whole family because none of them will work. Karen Sister A J is the one that kept calling me and telling my how much her sister loves me , that she can't live with out me. I had sent Karen over two years I estimate $54,540.00. Juvy said Arnold sent Karen money every two weeks.

Now this Black American is getting the same treatment and don't even know he is being scamed by this family. A J also borrowed money from me twice and I never was payed it back. I payed for the funeral for Karen's cousin that was shot and killed while robbing a store there also.

This family is very corupt and living very well seeing none of them work. Is it possible to get my Engagment ring back and Some of my money they scamed from me. Thank you very much for your time.

I was advised to come on this site to file my complaint by a Cebu Business Woman that is sick of these families distroying the tourist trade and public relations for your Counrty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to remove names, due to possible infringement of libel laws.

I am sure Jimmy will be happy to supply them, and perhaps other information, by PM or email, when appropriate.

Alan S.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ckfm

• Markham

• Huck Finn

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Sibbick
This family is very corupt and living very well seeing none of them work. Is it possible to get my Engagment ring back and Some of my money they scamed from me. Thank you very much for your time.

Hello James

In my opinion, no!

These are my guidelines to be met before handing over any money. Any money at all!

- Meet in person

- Meet the family

- See how and where the family live

- Make a long term commitment to each other

I am not sure these guidelines would have saved you but how many items on the list could you have been ticked off before you sent your first money?

Regards: Jim

Bob Ward

These forums are a two edged sword though mate. Although we all feel sympathy, and for many, also empathy, we all know that there could be no scammers if not for idiots who will shell out large sums of money to people they don't even know. Especially when they are 1/2 way around the world. You are not entirely a victim, you were part of the problem as well and participated willingly.

sam12six
These forums are a two edged sword though mate. Although we all feel sympathy, and for many, also empathy, we all know that there could be no scammers if not for idiots who will shell out large sums of money to people they don't even know. Especially when they are 1/2 way around the world. You are not entirely a victim, you were part of the problem as well and participated willingly.

Amen

Panserhansen
It all started on February 23, 2007 I met Karen on a country music chat room on yahoo messenger chat rooms. She was so sweet and and nice, the perfect girl she apeared. Soon we were thlking marriage and Karen coming to the U.S.A. then March 2007 Karen need money for her tuition at College, she was going to be my wife so I sent it to her.

April she asked me to keep her that her father no longer can. I agreed. I recieved a greeting card from Karen Father asking me to keep his Daughter he no longer can. I started sending her $300.00 a month but soon that wasn't enough so I sent $500.00 many month she need more in the middle of the month as well. Karen told me she was a virgin and never had a Boy Friend in her life. So I sent extra money for Birthdays, holidays, ect.

Did you mention to anyone that you were going to marry a chatroom girl at the other end of the globe after less than a month, and if you did - what did they say?

Walk on,

Lars

Edited by Panserhansen
USMC-Retired

The world of dating whether on line in person or otherwise is made up of two categories. Lions and Sheep. You went into a relationship with a women and did not know her. Yet you think you were screwed. You say she scammed you. She did not scam you. She went into this relationship wanting your money and you were to smitten that you did not see it or did not want to see it. You went into the relationship with a different motive. Just because you could not figure out what she wanted it is not her fault. It is your fault. There are people who would investigate her for you. There are thousands of threads of scams online and you fell for it. I believe it is no difference then the Nigerian scams or lottery scams. The only thing that is different is because you felt emotionally attached to her. People that send money with out all the things Jim says are required get what they get. If that means you are broke so be it. Online dating is not for the weak. You were a sheep and gotten eaten by a lion.

Edited by USMC-Retired
The Mason

Its been said before, but I'll say it again....

How did a fool and his money meet up in the first place?

Thanks for posting your story James. It was brave of you to put your story out here. Similar scams have happened to many others before and no doubt these scams will continue. I hope you have helped others by sharing your experience with this scammer.

The world of dating whether on line in person or otherwise is made up of two categories. Lions and Sheep. You went into a relationship with a women and did not know her. Yet you think you were screwed. You say she scammed you. She did not scam you. She went into this relationship wanting your money and you were to smitten that you did not see it or did not want to see it. You went into the relationship with a different motive. Just because you could not figure out what she wanted it is not her fault. It is your fault. There are people who would investigate her for you. There are thousands of threads of scams online and you fell for it. I believe it is no difference then the Nigerian scams or lottery scams. The only thing that is different is because you felt emotionally attached to her. People that send money with out all the things Jim says are required get what they get. If that means you are broke so be it. Online dating is not for the weak. You were a sheep and gotten eaten by a lion.

Couldn't have said it better.

How can somebody be so foolish and get scammed for so long and then trying an even more foolish (I think the word foolisher doesn't exist, otherwise it would be to use here) attempt to discredit her.

You should move on, you risk that the family you are trying to discredit will have you thrown into prison should you ever enter the Philippines again.

There are many normal girls in the Philippines, next time don't try to buy sex and love (or love and sex) with money.

Markham
I am James A. Skelly of North East Pennsylvania U.S.A. I have been scamed for two years by Karen xxxxof cebu City.

Firstly, you must be aware of the laws of Libel. She may place a completely different interpretation on what transpired between you.

Secondly:

You got engaged to be married to someone with whom your sole means of contact was an internet chat-room? I'm willing to bet that it was you who initially offered to send her money - she told you what you wanted to hear, thereby softening you up. Once she had your offer to assist her, it was an easy matter to ask you for more and more.

This family is very corupt and living very well seeing none of them work. Is it possible to get my Engagment ring back and Some of my money they scamed from me.

Your chances of that are zero to none. Certainly from where you are. If you were to come to Cebu and engage a lawyer here, you might be able to mount a prosecution but it will be costly, may achieve little and you will have to be prepared stay here until the conclusion of the case - which can take several years.

I was advised to come on this site to file my complaint by a Cebu Business Woman that is sick of these families distroying the tourist trade and public relations for your Counrty.

Precisely what do you seek to achieve? This site is run by Expats for Expats, future Expats and Visitors to the Philippines and whilst it is true that there are Filipino members, I'm not sure how any of us can assist you.

Harsh as it may sound, you've only lost a few Dollars and maybe next time you won't be so foolish as to send money to anyone, wherever in the world they're located, unless you have met them in person, know them really well and trust them.

Paul

Dude, I do feel for you. I take it this was your first trip to the Philippines?

Has been suggested, please contact Pointman Cebu. I used to do the interviews for PMC, as I owned it, along with my wife. But, someone else runs it now. They may be able to assist you. Anyway, onward:

Here is but another reason why NOT to meet anyone on line. I don't know if his circumstances would have changed, that is him getting ripped off or not, as you have to be a good judge of character and not think with your cock (not the fighting type).

Mr. Lee will disagree, as we just had a similar discussion on Tom's forum. However, come here, meet the girl and her family, thereby getting to know them in person first, before dumping any amount of money into the girl.

smokey

well james your lucky she dumped you or from reading your story i am sure you would STILL be sending her money.... ps james dont invest in Pre needs plan or open any rural bank accts. or invest in motorcycles with a double your money in one year..

I had sent Karen over two years I estimate $54,540.00

Now I getting a better handle in why the World Wide Recession isn't hitting the Philippines as hard as I expected.

Perhaps after the initial pain wears off, you can feel lucky that you didn't marry this woman, have a family and then wind up divorced. Better to uncover the deceit early. You could make an effort to find out the name of the new "boyfriend" and try to give him your experience.