2017: A dangerous year for foreigners in the Philippines

colemanlee

35 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

According to the link, from Jan 2011-Dec 2016, 4 homicides in Cebu, I think that is pretty low.

why don't you come back when you have reckoned up the numbers year after year with the numbers of homicides  of Americans in the Philippines as against Thailand year after year. 

here they are, homicides of Americans as against other causes of death in the Philippines compared to Thailand in the past five years : 

2016 Philippines total deaths 16 number of homicides 8 proportion homicides 50% Thailand total deaths 32 number of homicides 2 proportion homicides 6%

2015 Philippines proportion homicides 14/27 52% Thailand 1/24 4%

2014  Philippines proportion homicides 7/26 27% Thailand 3/43 7%

2013 : Philippines proportion homicides 11/28 39% Thailand 3/22 14%

2012 : Philippines proportion homicides 10/21 48% Thailand 3/29 10%

those are the past five years, but no matter how far you go back, ten years, fifteen, or twenty,  in EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the proportion of homicides of Americans as a proportion of the total of non-natural deaths is not just a little more, but massively and substantially more in the Philippines than Thailand.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• badian

• TequilaSunset

• smokey

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jawny...I’m going to take a shot in the dark and say you don’t work for the Philippines Tourist Board. 

http://philippineslifestyle.com/foreigners-murdered-philippines-2017/ Over the course of 2017, PLN has reported on the killing of numerous expats and visitors to the Philippines. Here, from our a

Still safer than being in Chicago.

TequilaSunset
32 minutes ago, badian said:

why don't you come back when you have reckoned up the numbers year after year with the numbers of homicides  of Americans in the Philippines as against Thailand year after year. 

here they are, homicides of Americans as against other causes of death in the Philippines compared to Thailand in the past five years : 

2016 Philippines total deaths 16 number of homicides 8 proportion homicides 50% Thailand total deaths 32 number of homicides 2 proportion homicides 6%

2015 Philippines proportion homicides 14/27 52% Thailand 1/24 4%

2014  Philippines proportion homicides 7/26 27% Thailand 3/43 7%

2013 : Philippines proportion homicides 11/28 39% Thailand 3/22 14%

2012 : Philippines proportion homicides 10/21 48% Thailand 3/29 10%

those are the past five years, but no matter how far you go back, ten years, fifteen, or twenty,  in EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the proportion of homicides of Americans as a proportion of the total of non-natural deaths is not just a little more, but massively and substantially more in the Philippines than Thailand.

I don't care abut Thailand since I am not inclined to live there. Regardless... I stated facts from the link you provided. Four  homicides in 6 years in Cebu is damn low, no matter how you want your numbers to read. Where I live I have that in a couple of weeks. 

the numbers just speak for themselves. It really does seem that as a proportion of the non-natural deaths, the % of murders of Americans is higher in the Philippines, and it is consistently higher too, over many years, than any other country in the world. 

Edited by badian
18 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

I don't care abut Thailand since I am not inclined to live there. Regardless... I stated facts from the link you provided. Four  homicides in 6 years in Cebu is damn low, no matter how you want your numbers to read. Where I live I have that in a couple of weeks. 

I guess Biliran Island ranks way above Cebu then. Anyway is does not seem to stop hordes of newbies pouring in here.

" is does not seem to stop hordes of newbies pouring in here."

the newbies don't get shot though do they. It's usually just residents. 

oh wait. Apart from, in 2017, the Scottish tourist who was shot in Cebu while getting robbed for 10 dollars, and the two young Netherlands tourists who's car was shot up in Negros by leftist terrorists. They were each not long into their first ever visit to the Philippines.

Edited by badian
shadow
18 minutes ago, badian said:

and the two young Netherlands tourists who's car was shot up in Negros by leftist terrorists. They were each not long into their first ever visit to the Philippines.

Wrong place, wrong time, they got caught in a crossfire between the Police and the NPA. They were not the target. NEVER follow a police or military vehicle through the mountains in NPA country!

Lucky for them they lived to tell the tale.

• Like 1

the Scottish guy in Cebu that got shot for the 10 dollars, I suspected the robbery angle was just a red herring, and the shooter was the actual boyfriend of the Filipina he was due to marry later that day. 

that happens quite often, although not in the recent shooting of the American jogger in Baclayon where he didn't even have one dollar on him. Sometimes the wife can even get slightly hurt in, or 'traumatised' as a witness to the murder so people won't think it's her. They kill the guy in the house and stage this half-assed robbery to make it look like that is the motive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
smokey
4 hours ago, badian said:

it's kind of a subjective opinion, but out of all of metro Cebu's 7 cities and 5 municipalities, they are each large-ish areas, but out of all of them,  I would class Talisay as being the one where crime is probably the worst and the level of rule of law the least. Not all that long ago, three foreigners were shot INSIDE the Mcdonalds restaurant at the Tabunok Gaisano mall, and one of them, a German guy, was killed. Nobody has ever even been arrested for this, by this time it is unlikely that anyone will face justice for it. 

the US State Department continues to keep helpful data monitoring the causes of non-natural deaths of US citizens abroard here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/death-abroad1/death-statistics.html

year after year after year, the ratio of homicides as a cause of death among Americans in the Philippines as opposed to other causes like accidents/drownings/suicide, etc, when reckoned up against other countries, continues to be among the very highest, anywhere in the world. 

Lier lies pants on fire.  The gunmen who lived in cebu turned himself in but no one pressed charges so he was let go

even if that is true, which I doubt, isn't it just great that the police service of the Philippines allows people who admit to discharging live munitions on busy city streets that might have killed some random passer by by mistake, to just walk away as if nothing happened.  

• Administrator
Dafey
19 minutes ago, badian said:

even if that is true, which I doubt, isn't it just great that the police service of the Philippines allows people who admit to discharging live munitions on busy city streets that might have killed some random passer by by mistake, to just walk away as if nothing happened.  

It seems that a policeman can witness a crime but if a complaint is not filed there is no charge.

• Like 2
smokey
14 minutes ago, badian said:

If it's true I live in talisay it's true did you think the Germans family could get the other foreigners witness to fly back for court no matter how many years it took?

so you are talking about the German who got shot dead INSIDE the Tabunok Mcdonalds not the Scot who got shot on the street in Bulacao. 

it's true that one of the reasons why murderers know they can get away with it so easily, is because they know that without relatives coming in to pay the police to investigate, then the police won't do anything. That was why the murderers of Stephen Davis in Angeles, Harry Doyle in Surigao, John Mcdonald in Manila, or even Tony Gilchrist in Malapascua got caught. If no relatives had come along to grease the palms of the police, then there would have been no investigations at all. 

you're missing the point though. Do you think it is OK to just let somebody go who fires about 6 shots inside a Mcdonalds restaurant? Don't you think that a murder is a murder is a murder? The dead German guy, having been murdered, is in no position to press charges himself. Why does anybody else need to? 

Edited by badian
  • Like 2
Headshot
25 minutes ago, badian said:

If no relatives had come along to grease the palms of the police, then there would have been no investigations at all. 

Don't you think that a murder is a murder is a murder? The dead German guy, having been murdered, is in no position to press charges himself. Why does anybody else need to? 

THAT is the linchpin that makes the Philippine justice system totally unworkable. A complaint must be filed (not by police or prosecutors) before a case will be pursued. Apparently, the law in the Philippines does NOT see a murder as a murder ... unless somebody files a complaint. Nor does the law see any other crime until a complaint has been filed. Add to that, people are encouraged to file their complaint with the local barangay, which is not actually filing a complaint at all. Complaints must be filed with the police or with a prosecutor. Thus, people think a complaint has been filed, but it is an illusion.

• Like 3
smokey
1 hour ago, badian said:

so you are talking about the German who got shot dead INSIDE the Tabunok Mcdonalds not the Scot who got shot on the street in Bulacao. 

it's true that one of the reasons why murderers know they can get away with it so easily, is because they know that without relatives coming in to pay the police to investigate, then the police won't do anything. That was why the murderers of Stephen Davis in Angeles, Harry Doyle in Surigao, John Mcdonald in Manila, or even Tony Gilchrist in Malapascua got caught. If no relatives had come along to grease the palms of the police, then there would have been no investigations at all. 

you're missing the point though. Do you think it is OK to just let somebody go who fires about 6 shots inside a Mcdonalds restaurant? Don't you think that a murder is a murder is a murder? The dead German guy, having been murdered, is in no position to press charges himself. Why does anybody else need to? 

When in Rome do as the Romans will do.  Or don't get mad get even or another would be tit for tat. Or can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen

Edited by smokey
Kabisay-an gid

Dark side of Koh Tao: The seven tourists found dead on Thailand's 'murder island' after backpacker 'eaten by lizards'

Entire Article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/dark-side-koh-tao-seven-10708561.amp

Koh Tao was plunged into the spotlight when the semi-naked bodies of backpackers Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were found on a beach

With crystal clear water and stunning greenery, the Thai island of Koh Tao is seen as a backpacker haven.

But behind paradise lies a grubby underbelly where, according to one report, there are "enough suspicious disappearances to warrant the island its own CSI franchise".

Dubbed 'Death Island', the illusion of a safe haven has since shattered following the brutal deaths of a number of tourists.