Manual Labor vs Machine

cvgtpc1

In my 35 years of knowing the PI I've always wondered why you'll see for instance 20 locals digging a ditch that could be done in a day by a backhoe.

Is heavy equipment rental or ownership so expensive that paying 20 guys is more economical, or are there other reasons?

I went for years thinking they must not have any in the PI as I never saw heavy equipment really till visiting after Yolanda.

• Haha 1

Long ago I saw the same in India...    Is it cause of cheap labour?

In many instances, it is just simple business decisions.  Cheap labor does not have breakdowns, maintenance, fuel shortages and such.  Also, a lot of the work that is done here, such as highway work, is subcontracted.  One bidder gets the job, but subcontracts to others for some of the work.  This is highly visible along a national highway where in any given ten km stretch, there may be only five under active construction.  These five may be intermittent, with different road crews and processes. Easy to spot dur8ng lunch time as the less professional just walk away and let traffic deal with the road blockages while others keep a road guide on duty during lunch.  That sort of difference.

We have a very large amount of road widening and bridge construction going on near my home.  One contractor has the job and he proudly displays this at the ends of the road work.  He uses equipment, but has frequent signs up for hiring of heavy equipment operators. 

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
AlaskaBound

In India I saw a guy putting in his driveway. The stone consisted of baseball to softball to basketball sized rocks. There were two guys with sledgehammers pounding away at them, creating gravel. Old school.

Edited by AlaskaBound
smokey

We are installing a new gutter and they are using bamboo instead of a cherry picker took 3 days to put up 5 guys bamboo and rope 30 000 peso

to_dave007

Wife uncle employed in Tabuelan last year  on team doing drainage canal along road.  150 peso a day.  Rate would usually be higher but the job lasted 6+ months so he was ok with the low rate.  In 2017/2018 I'm paying 340/day for skilled mason and 220/day for laborer.  All in the province.

• Administrator
Dafey
58 minutes ago, smokey said:

We are installing a new gutter and they are using bamboo instead of a cherry picker took 3 days to put up 5 guys bamboo and rope 30 000 peso

Every time we have some work done above your nose they build a scaffold! Bamboo, welded pipe, whatever scraps they can find. Half day to build the scaffold, 30 seconds to change the light bulb!

• Like 1
to_dave007
3 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Every time we have some work done above your nose they build a scaffold! Bamboo, welded pipe, whatever scraps they can find. Half day to build the scaffold, 30 seconds to change the light bulb!

could be worse..  in Canada they'd bill $100 a hour to do it

• Haha 2
Oz Jon

Wow! - 5 storeys on a sloping site! - Rather complex, structurally! - Hope the Engineer knew his stuff and someone was watching the construction quality!

smokey

We used a structural engineer we are allowed to add 2 more if we want the cement was also 1 .2. 3. And it sits on rock i lived in california before

• Like 2
smokey

The house is built on steps and the back of the house used 25 mm bar

20180329_102308.jpg

20180402_173713.jpg