1.5 hp Aircon

vguy

oztony

I am thinking that you are getting led along here , like MCA said it may  just  be a capacitor,.

• Like 2

As I get older I become more and more disgusted with peoples level of competence,   Sometimes I can't figure out if they are trying to screw me or are totally incompetent!   I belong to a Toyota RV forum and constantly see people with mechanical problems that $100 hour mechanics can't find, yet someone miles away can diagnose over the internet.

The fact that he is willing to knock 100's of p off the original estimate speaks volumes!

If I were in your shoes I would not take one service tech's opinion.  He may be an ace AC guy, he may be a blithering idiot or a pickpocket with tools.  Won't know without a 2nd or 3rd opinion. 

Actually if I were in your shoes I would be scouring You tube on trouble shooting window AC's.

Edited by Jester
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use this company to service my aircons, you can try call them for a second opinion

Prompt Home Appliance Service Center  Mandaue

phone    344-7366 / 420-1916

• Like 3
3 hours ago, vguy said:

This is what they said it needs :

Window type Air-condition unit 1.5 HP
Leak testing and soldering
System vacuuming
System flushing
System Reprocessing, Refrigerant recharging
Supply of labor and materials
Technical supervision

The unit is 5 years old I asked if its worth it he s aid it should give it at least one more year if not more..... 

He has now offered to go down to 3300 p instead of the 5000p first offer 

My AC unit wouldn't turn on but made a sort of dull click when I tried to turn it on so I took it to a local AC fix it shop and they started pointing things out like a possible leak (your list above) and there was some compound broken on the top of my compressor where the wires come out the top they pointed that out to and made it seem like it was serious.  I did a little research on YouTube and figured it was the Capacitor so I told them them the AC unit was working just fine cooling the day before and it was but it just wouldn't start now so I should be the capacitor.

The compound material that hardens on top of the compressor can be replaced they have that material and it's cheap and part of the fix and all that was needed was a capacitor my AC unit is a 1 hp Carrier and it's 10 years old, I also had them clean it,  I do need new bearing's for the fan the guy mentioned this after he stuck everything back together so a little late but this year I'll have that done.

I don't know much about how your unit was or wasn't working but if it was cooling just fine than I would think the capacitor and it probably needs a good cleaning.  Another note I stopped in first to the parts store to price capacitors and it was 250 pesos and after I took it to the repair place and found out it was the capacitor I returned to the very same parts store and picked up the very same capacitor we had just talked about but now for some reason the price jumped to 600 pesos they said it was dual acting... Lol, always an opportunity to work you for more cash.

Late note:  I've never had my air conditioning unit serviced with Freon or any kind of gas.

Edited by M.C.A.
rephrase, late note

wow this is very interesting , fortunatly im not in rush so i will shop around for some seccond opinions.the unit runs . it just doesnt cool. he said the gas or whatever it is is empty and there is a leek needs wielded . by the time they come get it lug it to wherever, maybe and if they give it a full service i guess it s not so bad , but worth asking a couple more for sure !

1 minute ago, vguy said:

the unit runs .

What do you mean by runs ?

fan motor running ?

does the compressor start ?

15 minutes ago, vguy said:

Runs like normal I think .its just not cold 

3,300 pesos to fix a 1.5 hp split AC seems reasonable than, I spent 1400 pesos just having the tech change out the capacitor, fix the top of my compressor and clean the unit, these units need cleaning yearly and in a month the heat is gonna turn up here and these AC shops will be busy.

7 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

3,300 pesos to fix a 1.5 hp split AC seems reasonable than, I spent 1400 pesos just having the tech change out the capacitor, fix the top of my compressor and clean the unit, these units need cleaning yearly and in a month the heat is gonna turn up here and these AC shops will be busy.

that is a very good point ! that they will get busy  maybe i am in a rush then :)

the comapy is very good at replying ,coming out exaclty on time and stuff. so thats something !

• Like 1