Shipping from the UK

Headshot
2 hours ago, rizla said:

Yes that was my initial plan, but not completed it yet, had intended to complete it all by June, no time now

Well, another option would be to pack all of the stuff into containers and put them into storage for six months. When you have the SRRV, have somebody forward the containers to you.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, rizla said:

So I could send a couple of BB boxes to my housekeeper in Argao, and not incur import duty? Is that correct?

The boxes would contain mainly photos, some kitchenware, (cutlery, china) and some personal items.

I have read, as above, that B.B. shipments are slow but reliable.  However, I would be cautious about irreplaceable items such as photos.  I had six boxes of books, including school,year books sent by post years ago.  Five arrived.  I did get the money from the insurance, but the year books were lost....except one which turned up later (long and separate story). 

Because of that unexpected outcome, I have been cautious.  A while back when my mother passed on, the executor sent me letters she had saved over the years, written by me.  Irreplaceable and a delightful memory. I had them sent by FEDEX at significant cost.  Didn’t want to risk the loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for all the replies, I have discussed the problem with my sons, they will store the items until my SRRV is completed and then I will have the whole lot shipped. 

My research shows that while BB boxes are very useful, it would seem loses are actually quite high, and I don't want to risk losing items that hold sentimental value.

Thank you all  for the replies.

• Like 3

losses are not 'quite high' at all. For 12 consecutive years I've sent balikbayan boxes over, each of them addressed not to anybody else, but myself and with no losses at all apart from a few breakages that were my fault for not packing very well. There is a whole heap of packing tips I could give you to avoid these little mishaps I have gleaned. None of them were their fault for 'rough handling'. It was my fault, for packing the box like an imbecile and not quite realising what were vulnerable items. 

the company I use, Aslomavic.com send the box to arrive at their warehouse in Mandaue as I don't always know exactly where I will want to have the box delivered. In the past I have timed it so that it arrives in Cebu either shortly before, or shortly after I do (average shipping time from UK is 7-8 weeks). On arrival I text them and they tell me yes or no if it is in Mandaue. From there, they will then send it anywhere in the Philippines where I want them to send it, though it is usually somewhere quite close to where Aslomavic's warehouse is.  Once to Moalboal, once to Toledo, places like that. The most important thing for me is that it gets to their warehouse in Mandaue. Once it gets there, I'll tell them the specific place where I want them to bring it for the last leg.  

• Like 1

http://alsomavic.webs.com/promo.htm

they are one of the few companies that will pick up just about ANYWHERE on the Britain island, although if you are in an out of the way place like Cumbria or Gwynedd, Scottish highlands etc it may take them 2-3 weeks after you make the order. They also need to deliver boxes first, so what first time customers do is call them, order the boxes, they bring them, you pack them and then they come back a couple of weeks later when you pay them and they put them in the truck.  Most UK balikabayan companies seem to have an emphasis on London and the south east and are reluctant to pick up anywhere else. 

• Thanks 1

Only from UK. Too bad (for me).

Odd pricing I think, it only differs 20 pounds between the small box and jumbo box deal (including a small box)...   I think people, in general, choose the jumbo deal?

Edited by max111
add info

I only send the small box which is not that small a box. It now costs 70 pounds used to be 60. 

ah you are in Sweden, I would have thought that in Norway at least there must be balikbayan shippers. There is more Filipinos in Norway per capita than any other country in Europe, so there must be somebody doing it.  Seeing as most of them are guys that work in the shipping industry anyway, rather than mostly women married to former old-guy sex tourists like they are in the UK and Germany, etc  there must be a few. 

Freetochat

When I moved to PH, I moved two 46inch TVs, sound systems, DVD payers etc. plus clothes and household items.  8 boxes in total.  2 very big to take the TV's.  No import duty.  I was single and had not lived here full time when sending.

I used http://www.tagalogbalikbayan.com/ they done a good service both sides.  No damages.  Boxes unopened. Reasonable costs.

smokey
29 minutes ago, Freetochat said:

When I moved to PH, I moved two 46inch TVs, sound systems, DVD payers etc. plus clothes and household items.  8 boxes in total.  2 very big to take the TV's.  No import duty.  I was single and had not lived here full time when sending.

I used http://www.tagalogbalikbayan.com/ they done a good service both sides.  No damages.  Boxes unopened. Reasonable costs.

How did you move the tv the biggest box is 24 inches is there bigger ones?

Freetochat

I got my own box. Lined it with hardboard and then bubble wrapped the TV's inside.  The company that I used fill a container and bring to PH.  I had no problems with it being accepted.  I just gave them the dimensions of the box and they priced it pro rata.