Shipping from the UK

Hope this is in right place.

Sadly my father passed away last week, he was over 100 years of age. I now need to clear his flat, so want to send some furniture/books/tools/photos/household goods/mementos etc to Argao, Cebu. 

The shipping is £2500 but have now found that as I am single I will be forced to pay import duty at 15%. That will make it uneconomical.

Has anyone any suggestions ? I have a housekeeper who can take delivery in her name if that would help.

I have until 31st Jan to clear the flat!

Davaoeno

SRRV   you can import up to $8000 usd duty free  . [ thats what it was when i got it, it might be more now ]

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Sorry for your loss...

Can you pack most of it in BB boxes?

Edited by Dafey
  • Thanks 1
Busted Dick

I am watching this thread with interest as I have a few things in UK which I may, one day, like to import.  Hope someone can share their experiences.

11 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

SRRV   you can import up to $8000 usd duty free  . [ thats what it was when i got it, it might be more now ]

Yes that was my initial plan, but not completed it yet, had intended to complete it all by June, no time now

7 hours ago, Dafey said:

Sorry for your loss...

Can you pack most of it in BB boxes?

I think only those who are married can use BB boxes, if you believe I can use that system, any info would be great.

3 minutes ago, rizla said:

I think only those who are married can use BB boxes, if you believe I can use that system, any info would be great.

The B.B. shipment isn’t not exclusive to married individuals.  There are many threads about it in LinC, but with time so short, your best bet would be to contact a shipper who makes these shipments.  That is, a nearby place which serves the Filipino community.  

In the short run, is it possible to have some sort of storage until you work out the shipments?

The duties to be paid don’t have to do with nationality as I understand it.  The duties are assessed according to the category of goods, in its case, household goods.

i just realized you are in China.  This makes it harder to get the shipment assembled into B.B. parcels and such.  

is the duty payment the main issue?  It’s been my experience that hhg are not typically evaluated at a high rate.  That is, the stuff is used, not new.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The B.B. shipment isn’t not exclusive to married individuals.  There are many threads about it in LinC, but with time so short, your best bet would be to contact a shipper who makes these shipments.  That is, a nearby place which serves the Filipino community.  

In the short run, is it possible to have some sort of storage until you work out the shipments?

The duties to be paid don’t have to do with nationality as I understand it.  The duties are assessed according to the category of goods, in its case, household goods.

i just realized you are in China.  This makes it harder to get the shipment assembled into B.B. parcels and such.  

is the duty payment the main issue?  It’s been my experience that hhg are not typically evaluated at a high rate.  That is, the stuff is used, not new.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm back in the UK right now, flew back as soon as I heard Dad was rushed to hospital. 

I'll contact a BB shipper this morning and ask some questions, if not possible I will as my Children to store some of the things and then hope I can ship after the SRRV is completed. The problem is the lack of time, as I need to clear his old home by end of Jan, so just 5 days.

Can someone explain what a BalikBayan box actually is, my understanding was that it is a special box, that incurs no import taxes, that can be used by OFW , I don't understand how a foreigner can use this system, unless married to a Filipino. 

shadow
5 minutes ago, rizla said:

Can someone explain what a BalikBayan box actually is, my understanding was that it is a special box, that incurs no import taxes, that can be used by OFW , I don't understand how a foreigner can use this system, unless married to a Filipino. 

They recently tried regulating it, making it so only a Filipino could send only to a Filipino relative. It didn't work, anybody can now once again send a BB to anybody in the Philippines.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, shadow said:

They recently tried regulating it, making it so only a Filipino could send only to a Filipino relative. It didn't work, anybody can now once again send a BB to anybody in the Philippines.

So I could send a couple of BB boxes to my housekeeper in Argao, and not incur import duty? Is that correct?

The boxes would contain mainly photos, some kitchenware, (cutlery, china) and some personal items.

shadow
11 minutes ago, rizla said:

So I could send a couple of BB boxes to my housekeeper in Argao, and not incur import duty? Is that correct?

The boxes would contain mainly photos, some kitchenware, (cutlery, china) and some personal items.

yup!

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, rizla said:

I have until 31st Jan to clear the flat!

1 hour ago, rizla said:

Yes that was my initial plan, but not completed it yet, had intended to complete it all by June, no time now

I can't help you with any good shipping suggestions, just point out that you could store your things with shurgard and similar companies until you found a way to do the shipping......

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

My wife and I shipped 26 BB boxes here to family before we moved here. They are roughly 27 inches cubed and they cost us $90 US each. We taped 2 together for one box with long items inside and paid $180 for that one as it was actually 2 boxes. 

All arrived in tact and unopened we only lost one vase that broke from rough handling. It took roughly 3 months to arrive as it comes on a very slow boat. Of course you cannot ship alcohol or anything combustible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1