Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Proposal for a new Forum

Jawny

I wasn’t sure where to suggest a new topic.  Specifically, Report of death of foreigner in Philippines.

I know there are a few other choices such as Philippine news, dangers in the Philippines and safe or unsafe. However, it seems that a death of a foreigner deserves its own category.  In that way, the thread can deal with the report of the death uniquely.  

In the past, there have been reports which went on for several pages with comments.  This included, in some instances comments be friends or family members of the deceased.  Since the forum is public and a google search may quickly direct a searcher to the forum, it would be helpful for the searcher to find useful information and not have to read through the extraneous posts.

• Like 4

oztony
19 minutes ago, Jawny said:

it would be helpful for the searcher to find useful information and not have to read through the extraneous posts.

There in lies the problem they will appear in the thread wherever it is ... 

• Like 2

Jawny

In a given period of time, we get the reports of foreigner deaths here.  Some are from natural causes and others involve more of the sensational and speculative causes.  Of course, being the Philippines, these will also include gratuitiuos images of the deceased.

I've seen many of these reports in LinC that were of members or people known to members.  As a result, the post often generates heartfelt comments about the individual.  I recall some posts lead to helping out the family of the deceased.

As well, there are Death reports which generate comments about violence in cities in other countries, war zones, deaths associated with terrorism, drug trafficking and so on.  Nothing bad about these comments or the discussions that follow.  They just seem better placed in other topics.  

In many instances, when choosing a forum topic, the home page offers guidance to the poster.  Not to be confused with rules, just general guidance.  

I felt the creation of a death report topic would be an opportunity to clarify that the discussions the extraneous topics might be better located elsewhere.  Again, not like some sort of rule, nor is this judgmental regarding the discusssions.  It just seem misplaced to be reading comments about the circumstances over the death report and then be advised where sometimes slingshots can be used to kill someone.  

• Like 1

hyaku

Well, I can report that after three deaths/murders here in a year. People who gave the order were not arrested.

oztony
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

it would be helpful for the searcher to find useful information and not have to read through the extraneous posts.

53 minutes ago, oztony said:

There in lies the problem they will appear in the thread wherever it is ... 

4 minutes ago, hyaku said:

Well, I can report that after three deaths/murders here in a year. People who gave the order were not arrested.

And case in hand ...it did not take long ....Jawny to achieve what you are suggesting would take regimental moderating with the diverse array of posters we have , threads always get sidetracked to a certain extent ...like a lot of conversations do ...have you got a solution as to how to achieve what you are suggesting...

• Like 3

Jawny

Yes, moderation of the topic.  

As well, guidance to the membership by creating the topic with a brief guideline as to the nature of the thread.

This is just a suggestion.  In the past I would not have offered it, but there was an encouragement for members to offer change suggestions.

My only interest in this topic is to keep the reports on track as families are affected.  I’ve just been around a lot of death and have a preference to keep the reports civil.  Once again, I am making no criticism of any particular posts.  Just thought it would be helpful to the LinC. 

Davaoeno

Just a thought Jawny - [ and I dont know who you would ask, I assume the owner ]- how about if a new thread is started with you as moderator of just that thread ? The thread would state that only proven reports of deaths would be reported, with no comments on the dead person or their family , and no reference as to why they might have died  or if through violence who might be responsible. 

Now that I think about it we could call the thread The Obituaries  .

Would that work for you ?

• Like 2

colemanlee

It would damn sure work for me....and I dont have a problem with people that knew the deceased expressing their opinions....usually they are the ones that know the truth 

• Like 3

SkyMan

You guys are saying thread or topic when I think you mean forum?  This is my reply to this thread in the "How to use this Forum" forum.  We do already have an Announcements & Current Events Forum which could include Obits, weddings, births, etc.

• Like 2

oztony

Well I don't feel that there is any disrespecting that is offensively out of control in these matters , if family or friends Google to search for this stuff they are going to get the news reports with pictures as well , the whole nature of this site is that it is a forum ...and things get discussed. I believe the membership here to be reasonably respectful in these matters. There will always be speculation and conjecture as to why...

Although we are talking about a sensitive matter where friends and family of the deceased are concerned have there been many instances of loved ones and friends being offended by material on this site in regards to the comments ? If they are that intrigued that they Google the matter and end up here they have the ability to announce their presence and relationship to the deceased and set things straight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Salty Dog
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

You guys are saying thread or topic when I think you mean forum?  This is my reply to this thread in the "How to use this Forum" forum.  We do already have an Announcements & Current Events Forum which could include Obits, weddings, births, etc.

I think a news article about an expats untimely death is right where it should be. In the Philippine News Forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog
13 hours ago, Jawny said:

I wasn’t sure where to suggest a new topic.  Specifically, Report of death of foreigner in Philippines.

I know there are a few other choices such as Philippine news, dangers in the Philippines and safe or unsafe. However, it seems that a death of a foreigner deserves its own category.  In that way, the thread can deal with the report of the death uniquely.  

In the past, there have been reports which went on for several pages with comments.  This included, in some instances comments be friends or family members of the deceased.  Since the forum is public and a google search may quickly direct a searcher to the forum, it would be helpful for the searcher to find useful information and not have to read through the extraneous posts.

The articles aren't obituaries. They're articles about the murder of an expat. Not to be too insensitive here, but for many members who don't know the expat, the how it happened and why is very important to them. 

As to having a seperate forum for Report of death of foreigner in Philippines. We already have a forum "Deceased Members List" which could maybe be adapted to include deceased expats.

On a side note. Why should a deceased expat's notice of death, whom we don't even know, be more important than the death of a close Filipino family member or friend, whom we don't have a special forum for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

colemanlee

Well If I someday get offed I hope the guys I know here will at least follow it up lol...besides would make a good topic...with a lot of speculation  ....but know this...if I go and not from smoking and drinking too much...look at the wifes siblings....:rofl:

• Haha 3

hyaku

I have tried to post factual details in the past of murders after reading conjecture mostly gleaned from false press reports. The families/survivors concerned have immediately closed down internet accounts after things happen and some are advised to go into hiding until matters are resolved.

Do we have that many cases that it requires a new topic? I would hope not.

SkyMan
8 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I think a news article about an expats untimely death is right where it should be. In the Philippine News Forum.

I don't want to put words in Jawny's mouth but I think he's looking for an obituary forum for general reports of death that may not be headline news such as the most recent case on Bohol.