Typhoon Haiyan / Yolanda Revisited

Headshot

It has been over four years since this storm hit, but many people are still trying to recover from it. For those who lived through the storm, it is worth remembering. For those who weren't here, it worth taking note, to know what the weather is capable of in the Philippines. The video focuses on the Tacloban area on Leyte, but the storm also devastated a swath across Leyte, Samar, northern Cebu, Bantayan, northern Negros and northern Panay before exiting the Philippines. If you can get past the propaganda thirty-three minutes into the video, this is a pretty good look at how Filipino attitudes and how those that survived got through the biggest storm ever.

• Thanks 2
colemanlee

A difficult time in more ways than one.....

colemanlee

And then there was the Aquino Government who did not do a thing except give lip service to what was happening and the 10 K death figure was most likely a low ball figure

RogerDat

And the recovery effort with out heavy equipment as hundreds of bulldozers and tractors sat in Cebu, and with 50 or so roro available, non was sent there.

colemanlee
51 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

And the recovery effort with out heavy equipment as hundreds of bulldozers and tractors sat in Cebu, and with 50 or so roro available, non was sent there.

Somewhere on here, sometime after we got power back on after seven months...I wrote a fairly long thread on what went on during and after the storm...I had fifteen living with me until Feb. I think...even now, over four years later..you can still see very obvious damage from the storm that will most likely never get fixed...

The one that always fascinated me is the huge squatter area over by the sea where the bulk of the storm came in, Is now completely rebuilt with the same sort of shacks that were washed away...and filled with just as many people...the pictures below are some we took the day after the storm hit...pretty much at what would be called ground zero..  Most of my wifes relatives lived there and we went looking to see if anything was left....nothing was

Yolanda1.jpg.e9725c9cc66139440351479de8eaab49.jpgYolanda2.jpg.39abb793322b5d2cbf0a1b5126d6e6f0.jpgYolanda3.jpg.1db596d68199c244dd904a6a6f33d607.jpgYolanda4.jpg.8da6a992ba8088d7f26257c91f954120.jpg

• Sad 1