Jump to content

A couple of Registration and DL questions


Recommended Posts

My car will be 3 years old later this week (I'm the second owner).  I went in a few days ago renew my registration.  I went to an emissions testing location in Lahug to get the car tested and asked the guy there to act as a fixer.   He said, that due to my License plate number I did not need to get my registration done until May (I saw an earlier post about this, but could not figure out how to read the plate).   He said he thought my paperwork was probably in order, but that I should not go back to his testing center but go directly to the LTO.in May to get everything done.  He said to go to the one near the South Bus Terminal, not the one in Mandaue.

Does all this sound about right ?   The way he was looking at paperwork I had with me, I was not sure if i had everything in order or not, and his English was not the greatest.  I was confused as to why he would want me to go directly to the LTO and lose my business.  From reading other posts, it seems others have went to an emission test center first and even let them register the car for them.   I don't want to be in a position where I miss my renewal date, and I also want to be sure I am not missing any paperwork (All i have is my registration, a receipt showing the car was transferred into my name, insurance info..).

Next,  I originally got my drivers license about 20 months ago in Dumaguete.   I went back to the LTO there about 4 times over the next 9 months for my permanent license and the woman at the front desk there just laughed each time saying they had not gotten any permanent licenses all year and had no idea when they would arrive.  I then moved back to Cebu earlier this past year.   I still have my 90 temporary DL in my glove compartment.   I'm wondering if I should take the 6 hour trip back to Dumaguete and see if my license is in yet(could be a complete waste of time), or just apply for a new one here in Cebu, if they would even allow that?   

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
2 minutes ago, Alk said:

My car will be 3 years old later this week (I'm the second owner).  I went in a few days ago renew my registration.  I went to an emissions testing location in Lahug to get the car tested and asked the guy there to act as a fixer.   He said, that due to my License plate number I did not need to get my registration done until May (I saw an earlier post about this, but could not figure out how to read the plate).   He said he thought my paperwork was probably in order, but that I should not go back to his testing center but go directly to the LTO.in May to get everything done.  He said to go to the one near the South Bus Terminal, not the one in Mandaue.

Does all this sound about right ?   The way he was looking at paperwork I had with me, I was not sure if i had everything in order or not, and his English was not the greatest.  I was confused as to why he would want me to go directly to the LTO and lose my business.  From reading other posts, it seems others have went to an emission test center first and even let them register the car for them.   I don't want to be in a position where I miss my renewal date, and I also want to be sure I am not missing any paperwork (All i have is my registration, a receipt showing the car was transferred into my name, insurance info..).

Next,  I originally got my drivers license about 20 months ago in Dumaguete.   I went back to the LTO there about 4 times over the next 9 months for my permanent license and the woman at the front desk there just laughed each time saying they had not gotten any permanent licenses all year and had no idea when they would arrive.  I then moved back to Cebu earlier this past year.   I still have my 90 temporary DL in my glove compartment.   I'm wondering if I should take the 6 hour trip back to Dumaguete and see if my license is in yet(could be a complete waste of time), or just apply for a new one here in Cebu, if they would even allow that?   

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Dumaguete has been giving out the new plastic license cards, my wife got hers in November after nearly a years wait. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if it's worth a drive/ferry ride there to see if mine came in, and if they still have it?...i doubt I'll be able to call anyone and ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Look here for the month and week of month to register your car

uuuups forgot the link 

http://www.lto.gov.ph/latest-advisory/20-motor-vehicle-registration-schedule-based-on-the-plate-number.html

 

you need a copy of CR (certificate of registration) and a copy of OR (original receipt) last registration

car not in your name yet ?, come back here 

I use a smoke testing station in Talisay it is next to the my bus end station

he will do the registration for you, so you do not have to do the run-a-round

he does the insurance also

nice guy, he speaks a little english

if you come from Cubu City it is just before the my bus end station on the right side

It is not the first time that heard about not to use the mandaue lto

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Dumaguete has been giving out the new plastic license cards, my wife got hers in November after nearly a years wait. 

I renewed my licence early 2017.They issued me a paper version and I was informed they had (run out of stock no plastic) but the paper version would be good till 2022, seemingly no need for the plastic version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

they have plastic now you can go have the plastic at LTO

3 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I renewed my licence early 2017.They issued me a paper version and I was informed they had (run out of stock no plastic) but the paper version would be good till 2022, seemingly no need for the plastic version.

<

Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
9 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I renewed my licence early 2017.They issued me a paper version and I was informed they had (run out of stock no plastic) but the paper version would be good till 2022, seemingly no need for the plastic version.

The paper version is worthless as ID.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shadow said:

The paper version is worthless as ID.

Yes you are right but I have other cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Bannister

Can I ask if you have completed the change of ownership paperwork with LTO, you mention a receipt for this but I am unclear if this is the deed of sale or the transfer of ownership. If you haven't completed that then it is a prerequisite for a renewal of your registration, and should be completed asap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Alfred E. Neuman

Let your insurance agent work on your registration, then escort you to the emission testing area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 2:34 PM, Mike Bannister said:

Can I ask if you have completed the change of ownership paperwork with LTO, you mention a receipt for this but I am unclear if this is the deed of sale or the transfer of ownership. If you haven't completed that then it is a prerequisite for a renewal of your registration, and should be completed asap. 

Yes.... the car is in my name...did all the paperwork at the LTO about 21 months ago

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 11:18 AM, Woolf said:

 

Look here for the month and week of month to register your car

uuuups forgot the link 

http://www.lto.gov.ph/latest-advisory/20-motor-vehicle-registration-schedule-based-on-the-plate-number.html

 

you need a copy of CR (certificate of registration) and a copy of OR (original receipt) last registration

car not in your name yet ?, come back here 

I use a smoke testing station in Talisay it is next to the my bus end station

he will do the registration for you, so you do not have to do the run-a-round

he does the insurance also

nice guy, he speaks a little english

if you come from Cubu City it is just before the my bus end station on the right side

It is not the first time that heard about not to use the mandaue lto

Thanks a lot. This a big help..since the last two digits on my plate are 75 and it looks like I don't have to renew my registration until the end of May..even though my registration is technically going to expire on January 18th.   I am quite a ways from Talisay, so will probably not drive that far to see your guy however.  I think I have the correct paperwork...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, Jack Rat said:

I renewed my licence early 2017.They issued me a paper version and I was informed they had (run out of stock no plastic) but the paper version would be good till 2022, seemingly no need for the plastic version.

I'm wondering if a 90 day temporary license is good for term of my driver's license.... it  is also issued in lieu of the plastic card, until that card arrives.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
NigelandMJ

I re-registered my car yesterday in Danau. It is 3 years old now. Took the ferry from Camotes to Danau, arrived at the the smoke testing station a bit before 11am. The place was a swamp, flooded from recent rain and road works right across the entrance to the station. Mud and water almost up to the door sills. Eventually managed to get in, then sat there for nearly an hour. Then told diesel tester not working, told to follow the guy up the road to another test station, got there and was very busy, said maybe 2 hours! Then the guy said we could drive up to Carmen. So that"s what we did. Got there, reversed in to the bay, took about 30 minutes for them to stick the pipe in the exhaust and take a photo, then produce the paper. that was 450p. then back to Danau LTO. Have to buy CTPL 1200p. That took another 30 minutes,

Then go into LTO for the form for re-registration. Back out to CTPL place for that to be filled out. Then back into LTO to the boss for him to sign it. Back out to get car and take it into the inspection area. 45 minutes here as it was lunch time. Hand forms to inspector. Open hood, check tires, lights, wipers. signed off. Take car back out, park, then back to LTO and hand papers in. Take a seat. 30 minutes name called, handed papers go to window 5 and pay. 3630p. Take a seat. 45 minutes later, name called got OR and sticker.

I have to say it seemed like quite a fiasco to get it done. But one thing I was trying to get information on, was, I have fully comprehensive insurance, which covers all risks including acts of nature, 3rd party etc etc etc. However I still had to purchase CTPL cover (Compulsory 3rd Party Liability Cover). Is this not just a scam? If I already have 3rd party cover, why have to buy it again? I am sure in most countries around the world, multiple insurance cover policies on a single item is illegal.

Oh, and the extra cost of 1100p for re-registration was due to being late, It was due in January but problems with ferries not running due to weather, and me getting sick for 10 days meant not getting over to get it done.

I am really hoping the LTO manage to get the satellite office opened in Poro before next January.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno
6 hours ago, NigelandMJ said:

I am sure in most countries around the world, multiple insurance cover policies on a single item is illegal.

The policies are not for the same thing. The government requires that you have 100,000 public liability before you can drive your car. That policy covers other people you might cause harm to .

You then have the option to buy comprehensive insurance which covers your car and you in the event of an accident . 

Every year I go to the government office and get a stencil, an emission test,  public liability insurance  and then renew my registration.

I also then go to a private insurance company to buy comprehensive insurance [ which is as I said optional and not required ].

The public liability insurance costs me about 900 or 1000 pesos

The comprehensive costs me about 20,000 pesos

It is perfectly legal .

In North America you usually only buy one policy - for public liability with the option to also buy comprehensive insurance.  Here the government does not sell comprehensive insurance so  if you want it you have to buy 2 policies. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..