Sign in to follow this  
Flakes

What site improvements do you want

Dafey

Love the shirt BTW...John Travolta's got nothing on you!

I really like that there is no requirement and it's donation as you see fit and can afford. Not everybodies wallet is the same thickness. I may even up my commitment if these improvements keep happening.

• Like 2

Cgu
2 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

great topic.  personally i would like to see a reduction in the price to sign up and use this site.  free seems to be a tad steep so all the complaints and impatience lately while the staff works to improve things are completely understandable :)

Totally agree.. at least a little cheaper than all the other forums, FB etc.

Plus:

- Get rid off hidden forums!! All content should be visible. If members need to quarrel - take it off site. If it is of interest to the community then it should be here for everybody - that what a forum is for. No need to put some "block/approval" in between.

- You need moderation, yes - but not hordes of mods!!! If it is against the few rules, member can use the "Report post" function. It is here for this!

• Like 3

jtmwatchbiz
14 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Totally agree.. at least a little cheaper than all the other forums, FB etc.

Plus:

- Get rid off hidden forums!! All content should be visible. If members need to quarrel - take it off site. If it is of interest to the community then it should be here for everybody - that what a forum is for. No need to put some "block/approval" in between.

- You need moderation, yes - but not hordes of mods!!! If it is against the few rules, member can use the "Report post" function. It is here for this!

i get where you're coming from but any content that is of interest to the community is indeed here for everybody already within the loads of discussion topics in full public view on this forum.  the "hidden forums" are not some sort of forbidden tantalizing mystery that should capture the imagination.  mostly they are just an extension of off-topic crap that is not encouraged and merely clutters the main public forum area.

moderation-wise i think oztony mentioned a very good point lately in a thread that with the various time zones the staff is better off spread out geographically.  also, it takes a team to collaborate on decision making so a large team of experienced people on staff is a good thing not a negative.  not all staff business is about enforcing rules.  there's a lot of brainstorming that goes on to keep the place organized and running smoothly.   :)  

• Like 5

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Flakes said:

Try to get more young persons onboard students, and workers etc instead of these older (alcoholic) retired folks who apparently know everything already no offence of course just saying?

I guess I could lay off the booze but I don't know how to change my age or become less retired

• Haha 5

SkyMan
23 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Get rid off hidden forums!! All content should be visible. If members need to quarrel - take it off site. If it is of interest to the community then it should be here for everybody - that what a forum is for. No need to put some "block/approval" in between.

The purpose of the hidden forums is for content that many don't care about and therefore don't want to even see it.  Most of this content was completely banned in the past.  It is stuff prone to unresolvable arguments.  When it was unbanned, we lost a lot of membership do to those topics flooding the forum because of the arguments and the intended foci of the forums (Cebu and the PI) were lost. If you want in, just ask. If you don't want to see that, don't ask for it and be glad.

• Like 8

Jess Bartone
1 hour ago, Flakes said:

I think u could try to ask this directly to some of the few female members here and also ask them  if they have some girlfriends in Phills and why they haven't  joined yet.

My wife joined about 8 years ago, made her first post, was instantly attacked by an unnamed member, and never looked again.

21 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Place much more freguent local  Phillipines newspaper article links online...

I posted a story about how a Filipino congressman proposed changes to the traffic laws, based on justice not emotion. He cited the incident where a blind drunk teenager with no lights on his motorbike driving at night drove directly into a truck, the truck driver was blamed because a truck is bigger than a motorbike.

I believed at the time that everyone here would be very interested in such a topic, considering many of them drive and many of them have been extorted or had been subject to attempted extortion, but I never got a single response.

So much for topical posting.

• Like 1

Flakes

Get much more sponsors and advertisers onboard. Every foreigner with a business in Phills should be advertising here and giving us great deals.

example that German bread maker in Cebu why isnt he here with a banner on the site and a discount deal for us?

Restaurants and bars owners? 

• Like 2

Flakes
7 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

My wife joined about 8 years ago, made her first post, was instantly attacked by an unnamed member, and never looked again.

I posted a story about how a Filipino congressman proposed changes to the traffic laws, based on justice not emotion. He cited the incident where a blind drunk teenager with no lights on his motorbike driving at night drove directly into a truck, the truck driver was blamed because a truck is bigger than a motorbike.

I believed at the time that everyone here would be very interested in such a topic, considering many of them drive and many of them have been extorted or had been subject to attempted extortion, but I never got a single response.

The only news article links here that i can remember was always about some elderly foreigner traveling with a minor child  but i think there is more news articles worthy to place links off.

• Like 1

Flakes
12 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

For most newbies this forum never has been a warm bath.She can always try it again.

31 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I guess I could lay off the booze but I don't know how to change my age or become less retired

Well its a start..

jtmwatchbiz
17 minutes ago, Flakes said:

Get much more sponsors and advertisers onboard. Every foreigner with a business in Phills should be advertising here and giving us great deals.

example that German bread maker in Cebu why isnt he here with a banner on the site and a discount deal for us?

Restaurants and bars owners? 

me and my wife are on this project as i type.  i agree the site can benefit with more businesses endorsing and paying fees but to make this happen the place needs to be appealing.  constant bickering will not help and not to single you or anyone out but a fair share of complaints and disagreements i read could be more successfully solved by contacting staff or direct pm conversations with whoever one is disagreeing with.  alternating the public nature of a disagreement posted in the open forums to a private conversation via pm may make it easier for both parties to cool off and settle things and save face.   :)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Member #1
53 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

i get where you're coming from but any content that is of interest to the community is indeed here for everybody already within the loads of discussion topics in full public view on this forum.  the "hidden forums" are not some sort of forbidden tantalizing mystery that should capture the imagination.  mostly they are just an extension of off-topic crap that is not encouraged and merely clutters the main public forum area.

moderation-wise i think oztony mentioned a very good point lately in a thread that with the various time zones the staff is better off spread out geographically.  also, it takes a team to collaborate on decision making so a large team of experienced people on staff is a good thing not a negative.  not all staff business is about enforcing rules.  there's a lot of brainstorming that goes on to keep the place organized and running smoothly.   :)  

Your efforts to help the forum are greatly appreciated. 

Someone already mentioned that there is no money in forums. They know what they are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Member #1

I am uncomfortable asking the membership for money. It isn't in my nature. But I really do appreciate it when people donate. It is a big morale boost for me. I would love it if the place paid its own bills. 

I chose to hire professional technical staff and that is on me. My choice not to do it myself, and I don't expect the membership to pay for that. Those costs dwarf server bills. The nice thing is those guys aren't volunteers so I can boot them in the ass when stuff does not get fixed properly. :lol:

If we just plug along being self sufficient when it comes to server costs and so on, it would be nice. I don't want to clutter the place with all sorts of commercial ads. I am thinking of even removing some/most/all of the Google stuff. Ads from Cebu businesses however would be way more welcomed than the google stuff. This morning I saw an ad that said something like "meet hot Asian girls online." I would much rather have reputable Philippine businesses advertising here. 

• Like 9

Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, Member #1 said:

I am uncomfortable asking the membership for money. It isn't in my nature. But I really do appreciate it when people donate. It is a big morale boost for me. I would love it if the place paid its own bills. 

I chose to hire professional technical staff and that is on me. My choice not to do it myself, and I don't expect the membership to pay for that. Those costs dwarf server bills. The nice thing is those guys aren't volunteers so I can boot them in the ass when stuff does not get fixed properly. :lol:

If we just plug along being self sufficient when it comes to server costs and so on, it would be nice. I don't want to clutter the place with all sorts of commercial ads. I am thinking of even removing some/most/all of the Google stuff. Ads from Cebu businesses however would be way more welcomed than the google stuff. This morning I saw an ad that said something like "meet hot Asian girls online." I would much rather have reputable Philippine businesses advertising here. 

Nothing says Philippines business more than " Hot Asian Girls" does !!

But I of course appreciate where you are coming from

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Flakes
1 minute ago, Member #1 said:

Its doable once you have healthy  traffic statistics.

Member #1
Just now, Davaoeno said:

Nothing says Philippines business more than " Hot Asian Girls" does !!

But I of course appreciate where you are coming from

Oh believe me. There would be far more money in a dating site. A friend of mine started one and sold it years ago. Back then, it produced more in one month than this forum does in 10 years. I am not in this for the money. 

• Like 3