Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Construction in Cebu took a major hit.

SkyMan

I don't read the news much but there were a number of articles in December that would have helped me avoid the shock I got today.  If you do any somewhat serious construction on Cebu, you'll want to buy your supplies from Vic Enterprises.  I've not been able to find another source of cement/rebar/steel sheets/PVC, etc. that is cheaper.  In fact, the vast majority of small hardware stores you see around are supplied by Vic.  So use the local places for small stuff but for bulk buy direct from Vic.  I'm there about once a month to put in an order.  My order always starts with 50 sacks of cement because if you order 50+ cement, they deliver that and whatever else you want for free.  Today I stopped in their office in Mabolo for another order and, "Wow, plenty of parking, but oh ^@$#^&^ the door's shut.  At 2PM?"  SIgn on the door, "Closed by authority of the Cebu City Council" or some such bs.  That applies to the office itself and the dozen or so huge bodegas they use there.

The office is now up the highway in Mandaue so the huge tax revenues will go there instead of Cebu.  The bitch though is that when I put my order in today, the usual delivery time for 3-4 days is now 3 weeks so I'm going to be buying up some of the local stock before it goes dry.  If you read some of the articles from last month the reasons for the shutdown are many and varied.  Some say too many complaints of the traffic in the area do to the trucks, some say their business permits were expired, and some say something about a beautification project but I suspect someone wants to take those bodegas down and put up condos.

But the cement is still cheap for now at p145/sack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

musicman666

All I can recall about this outfit is them driving these really long flatbeds 90 degrees across  the highway without a care in the world as they proceed to do a twenty point turn while the  traffic both ways grinds to a halt and watches on....

• Haha 1

Headshot

Hopefully their new location isn't right on the main highway. The Vic trucks blocked and narrowed the highway by blocking lanes (parking) and making wide turns across the road regardless of traffic. And, as is typical here, their security personnel thought they had the authority to block off the major north/south highway through the Cebu Metro area whenever they felt like it. What they need is a large area (away from the highway) that has a parking area in the middle surrounded by warehouses where they can conduct their business without interfering with the business of every other person in the area.

• Like 1

smokey

Please from my house to e mall i counted 68 cars and trucks parked on one side of the road many in front of no parking signs.    Buisness permits that allow sales to the public should be required to have off street parking the city should buy 10 tow trucks and use them traffic will improve 30% i think

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

to_dave007
23 hours ago, SkyMan said:

My order always starts with 50 sacks of cement because if you order 50+ cement, they deliver that and whatever else you want for free.  

But the cement is still cheap for now at p145/sack.

Shyte that's a good price.  Bought 50+ sacks myself since 1 December..  Normally about 190 peso..  so that's 2000 peso I could have saved..  plus whatever additional on rebar and some other stuff..

Wonder if free delivery at 50+ sacks applies to Tuburan..  Maybe not..  Like I can't get Shakey's delivered out here either..  lol

Couldn't get the Vic truck in to my place though..  Not like the little trike they use to deliver 10 sacks at a time.  Dragging the rebar behind it on the road.  So would be a lot of work to carry the sacks in.

But really..  I've seen those Vic trucks blocking traffic without a care on the world..  Only a matter of time before they get told to stop.  Just not realistic of Vic to think they can continue it forever.

SkyMan
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

What they need is a large area (away from the highway) that has a parking area in the middle surrounded by warehouses where they can conduct their business without interfering with the business of every other person in the area.

That would be great but there just aren't many of those available.  Lots of land but none for sale.  Anyway, the office is now about here and has better parking than the old location.

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Mandaue+City,+Cebu/@10.32506,123.926762,137m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a99889680ceefd:0xa9f911a1f5dda572!8m2!3d10.3402623!4d123.9415518

And their bodegas are up some tiny alleyway along here somewhere:

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Mandaue+City,+Cebu/@10.3322865,123.9280034,217m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a99889680ceefd:0xa9f911a1f5dda572!8m2!3d10.3402623!4d123.9415518

musicman666
2 hours ago, smokey said:

Please from my house to e mall i counted 68 cars and trucks parked on one side of the road many in front of no parking signs.    Buisness permits that allow sales to the public should be required to have off street parking the city should buy 10 tow trucks and use them traffic will improve 30% i think

The mayor did that last time he was in office ...but they were towing everything no matter what just to get the peso bounty ...the backlash was fierce and so far he hasn’t dared try again ....I think it was his buddy who owned the company and they seemed to have a strict shabu users only policy on the guys who manned their units.

to_dave007

This is not a problem that arose in the last few weeks.. This has been brewing for ages, and VIC just ignored it and hoped it would go away.

smokey
5 hours ago, musicman666 said:

The mayor did that last time he was in office ...but they were towing everything no matter what just to get the peso bounty ...the backlash was fierce and so far he hasn’t dared try again ....I think it was his buddy who owned the company and they seemed to have a strict shabu users only policy on the guys who manned their units.

Well when the sign says no parking at any time tow away zone and they park there anyway i see the mayor bowing to pressure 

RogerDat

It is in Mandaue (office), but on the same street just closer to the old bridge. Wonder if that will work out / how long before the no left turn sign will pop up.

musicman666
6 hours ago, smokey said:

Well when the sign says no parking at any time tow away zone and they park there anyway i see the mayor bowing to pressure 

There is little known rule that says if any part of your vehicle is within one meter of the kerb even though it’s parked wholly off the road then it’s fair game ....they were milking this one and a few others too...but let’s agree that keeping the streets clear wasn’t the driving force  ...it was earning maximum peso no matter what ...hence the back lash. 

SkyMan
On 1/10/2018 at 7:38 PM, SkyMan said:

when I put my order in today, the usual delivery time for 3-4 days is now 3 weeks so I'm going to be buying up some of the local stock before it goes dry. 

Well, so imagine my surprise when they showed up today.  I still had 14 sacks I'd bought from a place here.  Could have been a lot worse though.  I was getting ready to order another 30 sacks and some rebar.  So now I'm stocked up for a month or so.  :)

contraman
On 1/11/2018 at 8:10 AM, smokey said:

In Metro Manila they are currently towing motor vehicles that are illegally parked and also removing traders who block footpaths.

I guess this will go on until the next LGU elections are to be held then it will stop so the Mayor etc can get votes :idontknow:

Woolf

Drove my wife to Cebu City hall this morning

there close to city hall I saw 2 clamped cars, well they were parked stupid

also heard that neighbor had his car clamped the other day