The Worst Duty Assignments for Every Branch of the Military

cvgtpc1
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Correct - a civilian's opinion of several of the places mentioned could be extremely different - how you're treated , how much you have to spend, married, etc. all come into play

Very true...knew many that hated being posted in Hawaii where a civilian would think that would be paradise.

• Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Semper paratus

• lamoe

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You forgot Adak Alaska for the Navy. They had holiday routine (day off) every day the sun shined. Averaged about 4 days a year. 

To many including myself, Alaska was awesome as well. I think the Coast Guard probably had upwards of several dozen units spread all over the state.  Obviously some much better than others. I was on K

Posted Images

colemanlee

I always looked at civilians as those we protected from the truth....let them have their dreams

• Like 2
9 hours ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Very true...knew many that hated being posted in Hawaii where a civilian would think that would be paradise.

Was offered $12,000 USD, if I remember correctly , promotion to E6, and 2 years any duty station I wanted to re-enlist for 6 more - 1971 - Lots of money back then also was getting medical discharge  - was in hospital past contracted date  - tried to get both :lol:

Was told NFW would even an E6 get decent base housing like Laurel Bay (6 rm, brick w/ maybe 1/6 acre) also 2 years was at  "convenience of the gov" yeah I'd get there then orders would be cut back to Vietnam - no good deed or job goes unpunished

• Haha 1

Columbus AFB (Mississippi) or Camp Shelby (Mississippi). Thank God I was just TDY at Shelby (mosquitis as big as hummingbirds, and so humid there you could cut it with a knife - and don't get me started about the snakes there).

Mr. Mike

I guess I never had a bad duty station, spent most of my 12 years on board ships, My shore duty was at Great Lakes Naval Training center and Treasure Island.....as long as they had good chow, I was all smiles:)

I did hear that Midway Island was the pits though.

Edited by Mr. Mike
bounder
On 1/6/2018 at 2:50 AM, Salty Dog said:

Adak was a vacation spot compared to being stationed on Attu or Shemya... :P

I actually landed on Shemya during my tour on Adak (Naval Communications Station - Siss Zulu).  I think you could see all four corners of the island from the airport.  The flight attendants were the only women to visit the island when I was in the neighborhood (1972-1973).  

bounder

Of course the best duty station for me was at Naval Communications Stations Philippines which was located in San Antonio, Zambales or 25 miles north of Subic.  Was there from 1973 - 1976 during martial law.  I considered it the highlight of my short military career.   

In retrospect, my Naval School was in Pensacola, FL, then when I was nice and tan, they sent me to the frozen island of Adak, Alaska.  Once I became lily white, I was transferred to San Miguel (NCSP) Philippines where I became lobster red and finally after I had become thoroughly acclimated to the heat and humidity, they moved me to a National Forest in the state of Maine....during winter time no less!   My option (if I re-enlisted) was Diego Garcia, an island in the Indian Ocean 1,200 miles from the nearest land!  Civilian life looked really good by that time.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Probably a much worse duty assignment than anything that I have seen posted so far.

Continental Army 

Valley Forge,PA 

Winter of 1777.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
colemanlee
2 hours ago, bounder said:

My option (if I re-enlisted) was Diego Garcia,

Guessing they didnt want you to re-enlist..:rofl:

• Like 1
sugbu777
2 hours ago, bounder said:

Naval Communications Stations Philippines which was located in San Antonio, Zambales or 25 miles north of Subic.  Was there from 1973 - 1976 during martial law. 

I was there in 1974 and from late 1983 - late 1987. Great duty station.

• Like 1
On 2/1/2018 at 7:45 AM, bounder said:

I actually landed on Shemya during my tour on Adak (Naval Communications Station - Siss Zulu).  I think you could see all four corners of the island from the airport.  The flight attendants were the only women to visit the island when I was in the neighborhood (1972-1973).  

In 1961 Shemya was about the worst ASA posting available for single person - but only one year so some who were married were willing to do it.  For me did my tour in Chitose, Japan; which was not bad at all.

RogerDat
On 1/6/2018 at 1:16 AM, Semper paratus said:

Well now I can't seem to sleep. Not all our missions at my first duty station were rescue. Many were recovery. Now all the movies as I call them are replaying again in my head. I am sure I am not the only one that experiences this and many had it much much worse. Seeing a 17  year old boy come to the surface with hooks in his eye socket from our drag behind our boat is not  pleasant. He was reported to be an expert swimmer at a local beach only 100 feet offshore. Our little station was 45 minutes away by boat, you can't get there in time every time. That one plays over and over in my mind every time I get talking about those days. The State Police divers a nice  bunch of guys came on board and unhooked the lad. We worked real close with them. Another time we saved 3 boys from falling through the ice. The very next day the same 3 boys went through the ice on the river. once under the ice they are gone. Another one I'll never for get. Or one morning down at the boat slip amoungst the seaweed, and such a face with glasses staring up at me. Fell or was pushed off a bridge, never knew exactly why he drowned. The same State Police cut off his fingers and put them in a jar to send to a lab to try and identify him by his finger prints.  I am guessing many of you have similar movies in your heads that don't go away. I think I should stay away from any topics like this as I'll be up half the night now. Not alone I am sure.Ya'll take care. Time to shut down my movie house, I hope, Bye. I hope I am not stirring up any unpleasant memories for the rest of you. I know things could have been much worse. Much worse from talking at times with some friends that were in Vietnam.  Maayong gabii.

Sounds like PTSD to me. Did you file for this, or was it not known at that time?

Semper paratus
16 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Sounds like PTSD to me. Did you file for this, or was it not known at that time?

No such thing in those days as PTSD. They never even bothered to give me a pre-discharge physical. If they had and done it right they would have picked up on a noticeable hearing loss also. Things were mighty lax back then in any type of health care. I tried to file for the hearing loss probably around 2003 but no deal.  I just figure a lot of people that did any type of search and rescue, combat, police work, and such have pretty much the same recurring type thoughts. It is what it is , so I try not to think about those things as much as possible. Thanks for the comment.    

RogerDat

I have hearing loss also. They said they would pay for my batteries, but not the aids, and no compensation.

• Haha 1