The Worst Duty Assignments for Every Branch of the Military

throttleplate
21 minutes ago, USMC-Retired said:

Indian Springs Nevada and Mt Home Idaho were the worse non-combat related.  

indian springs, been there out in the middle of nowwhere in the desert. Vegas is an hours drive away.

• Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Semper paratus

• colemanlee

• cvgtpc1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You forgot Adak Alaska for the Navy. They had holiday routine (day off) every day the sun shined. Averaged about 4 days a year. 

To many including myself, Alaska was awesome as well. I think the Coast Guard probably had upwards of several dozen units spread all over the state.  Obviously some much better than others. I was on K

Posted Images

JamesMusslewhite

I actually liked 29 Palms. Was there for (MCCES) Basic Electronic course and Micro-soldering training. I was accompanied-status so I was allowed to rent an apartment 5 miles outside of the main gate of Joshua Tree National Monument, and having a car I would travel down to Palms Springs and LA on the weekends. But I could see how 29 Palms could be a rather hellish duty station for many young Jarheads.

I liked Fort Gordon and Camp Pendleton, but my favorite tour was the 2-1/2 years I was stationed at Camp Hansen (Kinville)  

• Administrator
Salty Dog
7 hours ago, throttleplate said:

Spent 10 months on Adak Alaska in the Seabees. You could hunt, fish, shoot your own weapons which you could buy at the navy exchange, drink, explore the island, play in the organized sports leagues.

The one thing and to me an important thing at that time in my life was having a female companion for ya know havin sex. The woman whom were there were few and the ones that were good lookin wernt in play and couldnt wait to leave the island while the fugly woman all re upped to extend their stay as they were gettin all the dick they wanted with no competition.

When our plane landed on Adak and we disembarked from the plane the small one room airport waiting area was full of the enlisted woman waiting to check us out. It was as if us guys were walking through a cattle auction being graded and bid on.

I didnt get laid for 10 months, i did have the chance to bang a woman whon looked like she was a native alaskan of eskimo heritage whom worked at the exchange and was at a party in our barracks one nite and she asked me to do the deal but she weighed at least 240 LBS and i just wasnt into that so the next day my friend told me i shouldnt have said no because he took my place and said she was great. Well his nickname was spud like the potato so theres that to consider about them to liken it.

Adak was a vacation spot compared to being stationed on Attu or Shemya... :P

shemya-map.jpg

shemya-island-abandoned-runways.jpg

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

Funny you talk about Alaska the best duty station for me was in Keflavik Iceland.  It was an awesome place to be stationed.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 minute ago, USMC-Retired said:

Funny you talk about Alaska the best duty station for me was in Keflavik Iceland.  It was an awesome place to be stationed.  

To many including myself, Alaska was awesome as well. I think the Coast Guard probably had upwards of several dozen units spread all over the state.  Obviously some much better than others. I was on Kodiak and Sitka which are both considered choice jobs.

I was in love and stationed in Miami when I received my orders to Kodiak Alaska. I was not a happy camper. Fast forward a few years and I was heading back to Kodiak for a second tour. This time it was my choice. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
SkyMan
On 1/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, USMC-Retired said:

Mt Home Idaho

A friend of mine retired from Mt Home and was living in the city afterwards.  When I was passing through I stopped in to visit him.  The city had nothing and the only thing to do was a long drive to Boise and there's really nothing there either.  I decided to pick up some supplies from the BX before I left and it was a good hour drive through nothing just to get to the gate.  

colemanlee

Worse place state side, NAS Glenview Ill....Best place state side...NAS Key West

Best place overseas, Okinawa, worst place, anywhere in the middle east

• Like 2
Mikala
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Chris24 said:

Johnston Island (formally known as Johnston Atoll) was hands-down the worst conceivable posting one could draw.

I was on Johnston Atoll as a civilian working 10 weeks on and 2 weeks off at the JACADS facility. I didn't think it was too bad. Free room, food, exercise equipment and outdoor movies. Didn't need to worry about female companionship since there was only about 2 dozen females and over 2,400 sex starved men. :(

During my time in the US Navy, the worst assignment seemed to be Antarctica, but the upside was that you got to choose whatever assignment you wanted after doing a year in that hellhole. :)

• Like 1
SkyMan
21 minutes ago, Mikala said:

Didn't need to worry about female companionship since there was only about 2 dozen females and over 2,400 sex starved men. :(

I remember reading about a nurse who was court martialed after a couple years assignment at a similar location.  She was a very rich woman.

• Like 1
cvgtpc1
11 hours ago, colemanlee said:

Worse place state side, NAS Glenview Ill....Best place state side...NAS Key West

I would've stayed in if I could've gotten Kadena AB in Okinawa.

• Like 1
RogerDuMond
15 hours ago, colemanlee said:

Best place state side...NAS Key West

For me, my worst duty station was U.S. Naval Hospital in Key West Florida (68-69). It was 130 miles from Miami and the boys outnumbered the girls in Key West 5000 to 1 and the best was the hospital ship the USS Repose off the coast of Vietnam.

Edited by RogerDuMond
17 hours ago, colemanlee said:

Then you have never been in UAE/Bahrain/Lebanon

colemanlee
5 hours ago, max111 said:

Then you have never been in UAE/Bahrain/Lebanon

Actually I have. many times...and my opinion remains the same

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Well gentleman, let's play nice. One man's trash is another man's treasure. No need to accuse anyone of anything because they don't like the places you like.

Back to the topic which was about the worst places that you were stationed, I assume in the military

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Back to the topic which was about the worst places that you were stationed, I assume in the military

Correct - a civilian's opinion of several of the places mentioned could be extremely different - how you're treated , how much you have to spend, married, etc. all come into play

Millington TN 1967 - E2 / E3 - close to Memphis - not so great (Beale St off limits) - better when wife was able to join me

Beaufort NC 1968 - E3 - nothing but was close to beach  - shared a trailer near it for 100 a month until tourist season then would have been 100 a week.

Beaufort SC - 1969 - E5 - nothing except a few bars back then  - Savannah close but cops watched the cars coming back very closely

Glenview IL - very close to Chicago - wasn't stationed there - but did have to go for VA exam - I can see why not the greatest

• Like 1