The Worst Duty Assignments for Every Branch of the Military

liquido

When I was in the AF there was the threat of going to Thule AFB Greenland...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Semper paratus

• colemanlee

• cvgtpc1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You forgot Adak Alaska for the Navy. They had holiday routine (day off) every day the sun shined. Averaged about 4 days a year. 

To many including myself, Alaska was awesome as well. I think the Coast Guard probably had upwards of several dozen units spread all over the state.  Obviously some much better than others. I was on K

Posted Images

Headshot
11 minutes ago, liquido said:

When I was in the AF there was the threat of going to Thule AFB Greenland...

I have been to Tin City Air Force Station, which has it all as far as bad weather and isolation. It is a long-range radar site (yes, the DEW Line still exists). Here is a picture of the entire Air Force Base. You have to ride a tram to the top of the mountain, which is no fun in the wind. Oh, and in case you are wondering, that IS a volcano it is built on...  :cool:

5a4efda23b727_TinCity.jpg.18dbf029991f416bee0e7ade956ae4a8.jpg

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Actually one of the worst place to be station in the Coast Guard was Headquarters in Washington, DC. Unless you wanted to be a kiss ass.

If it wasn't bad enough, that there were more O6's than you could shake a stick at. The commute was several hours a day in some of the worst traffic in the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
lamoe
4 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Actually one of the worst place to be station in the Coast Guard was Headquarters in Washington, DC. Unless you wanted to be a kiss ass.

If it wasn't bad enough, that there were more O6's than you could shake a stick at. The commute was several hours a day in some of the worst traffic in the country.

Unless you were an 06 then maybe a short walk?

RogerDat

Dover DE, and Langley are on my s--t list. My best assignment were Thailand and Korea, Philippines was third. The beer in Thailand and Korea was pits, but food was wonderful. I like San Mig light, and that's about it as far as it goes for native food. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

My final tour in the Coast Guard was pretty much a perfect one.

I was the supervisor of a small detachment that could only be reached by ferry or plane from our mother command.

I was in beautiful Sitka Alaska. Sitka is thought to be the most beautiful of southeast Alaska cities. Nestled on the west side of Baranof Island, it is flanked on the east by majestic snow-capped mountains, and on the west by the Pacific Ocean.

View from my office

Sitka Landscape.jpg

View from front porch of my house

MT Edgecumbe.jpg

My house

hpr.JPG

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
23 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Unless you were an 06 then maybe a short walk?

There was no Coast Guard base or housing except for the Commandant (4 star Admiral) and maybe the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard (E-10).

• Thanks 1
Semper paratus

My last year duty station, 1966. North Manitou Shoals. This was a LORAN station. To you landlubbers that is Long Range Aides to Navigation. We had equipment that sent out a specific signal that ships would pick up on along with two other signals and triangulate to pin point their location. Obviously long before GPS. LOL We also had a red light for red right returning and a great old air operated fog horn. All DC power and batteries until they up-dated us to A/C power that summer. The downside to A/C was the generators had to run 24/7. An all cement and steel building and everything rattled non-stop. Day after day after night after night. I was the station engineer. Anyone wondering why I don't like noise ?  Anyhow this lovely prison was 10 miles from the port we hitch hiked a ride on a mail boat from that delivered mail to about 6 people on 2 different islands out that way. Notice there is no island or land just water for miles around. We spent 30 days out and 6 days off the thing "weather permitting". I found out real quick what weather permitting meant. No mail/supply boat, that's what it meant. There were only 5 of us attached to the thing with one always off, and sometimes only 3 of us out there doing 24/7 watches. The equipment that sent out the LORAN signal was quite sensitive and we had 3 grandfather clocks that had to all be synchronized with a fraction of a second. When they went out of whack  getting two pendulums back in sync was easy, that third one was bugger. Much to my dismay there was no fish out there, never caught a one. The salmon hadn't been planted yet and I think the vibration of the place kept the fish away anyhow. I did shoot a semi-alive fish floating by one time, but that was it. What one wouldn't do when bored. When they installed the A/C power they also put in an electronic fog horn that would literally blow the ear drums right out of your head if you went outside. The whole thing was only 60 foot sq., so where could you go anyhow ? I volunteered for some place we heard about called Vietnam just to get off the "crib", but they wouldn't send me unless I shipped over for another 6 years. I didn't want to go that bad. Perhaps I was lucky ? Lucky ???? Anyhow we saw some spectacular storms out there. One even scared the Chief really bad and he had spent 10 years on that thing. Why would a guy spend 10 years there. That's a whole other story about "Red'. Great guy, just a little different. We got along great.  We had a little 24 foot boat that was built in 1924 we kept on deck. It was pretty useless,   it leaked like a sieve, and had what i think was a 4 cylinder  model A or T engine, putt putt putt. not exactly a means of escape. We did have some pretty interesting and hair raising experiences there though but that's the general idea of the place. No recreation at all really. But one night I discovered at night the bats would fly out from the islands by the hundreds and circle the light eating bugs. Then being curious I turned on that new fangled electronic fog horn and low and behold bats started falling to the deck and it the water like it was raining bats. It messed up their radar navigation or brains I guess. Ah ha, a new sport. I woke up Red, the Chief and showed him. he said go get your pistol lets have some fun. What one won't do when bored and isolated. LOL Other than that we got a call about a bomb shell being found by a tuorist on the island south of us. So they called us the U.S. Coast Guard LOL. Bombs, not exactly our specialty. But red and I took that leaky little 1924 boat ( which by the way had been broken right in half once when someone forgot to untie it from the deck before lifting it with the crane), it was sent out east and glued back together and sent back. What a gem. Anyhow red and I got to the island and they had one vehicle there, an old jeep. So we went to see the bomb. It was about a 20 pound artillery war head or whatever you call those things that ship shoot. It had a letter "P" pn the back end where a plug was screwed in. Red said no big deal it probably means practice. So we took it in my lap with Red driving on these old bouncy trails through the woods to a beach on the main side of the island where we found out the Army was sending in a crew of bomb disposal experts. As we were driving I said to Red, hey, maybe the "P"stands for primer. Red turned white as a sheet and said, geeze, I wish you wouldn't have said that,. Oops. Well the Army guys were there with some reporters and they to say the least were not very happy with us for transporting that bomb. Oh well. Live and learn. It turned out it was a practice shell as the Navy used to shoot at that island in WWll for practice. So back we went from our adventure. That's the story of my worst duty station. When the October, November, December storms came up food and cigarettes became a rare commodity. Yep, weather permitting. I still think they sent me out there for punishment. I was bit of a wild one in those days. LOL  Oh well , that's life.  Semper paratus.  Red was even crazier, oh, maybe that is why he spent 10 years out there. hahahaha

northmanitoushoal.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
cvgtpc1

@Semper paratus  I think you win hands down dude!

Except for those that were under fire of course.

Edited by cvgtpc1
  • Thanks 1
Semper paratus
8 minutes ago, cvgtpc1 said:

Here's a picture/story a little local newspaper did on our way out to open the place. The ET's only went out long enough to fire up the electronics and then the lucky guys got to leave.  We look more like part of the "Dirty Dozen" crew I think. I managed to have some fun in spite of it all, George the mail boat operator wasn't always thrilled with me for making his tourist customers sea sick while I ate greasy smoked chubs with grease running down my chin in a hot cabin with the boat rolling like a bobber in a gale. LOL Oh well. It sure was good fish. Anyhow here ia picture of the motley crew. There were some more antics I got into but maybe another day. I actually snuck off the thing for a few hours while the Chief was sleeping once and went to a town for a few beers. I hitched a ride with the electricians going to another town to buy some supplies for the new a/c generators. I guess I was sort of AWOL for about 6 hours. Oops.  Good thing a storm didn't come up. I can't imagine where they could have sent me for punishment next, but they'd have probably thought of something. Hey, what was a 22 year old to do for fun anyhow ? Cheers, and by the way, no beer allowed. :o(

Alcatraz for Charlie.jpg

• Like 1
Semper paratus
23 minutes ago, cvgtpc1 said:

At my previous duty station I was  a  Federal Boarding Officer under the Treasury Department at that time. It seems some locals didn't like us law enforcement guys. I was only shot at twice in those 3 years. They even tried to kidnap me once for a little beating. Buggers. maybe I had given one of them a ticket at one time, or more likely I was dating one of their girls. I rarely gave out tickets, only warnings unless you were a real ass-hole. Some of those good ole boys weren't real friendly. Until we were called out to do a search and rescue mission for them at times. That's all folks :o) Too bad they didn't have videos and cell phone cameras in those days. Could have had a lot more fun. :o). 

6saved1drowns 001.jpg

6saved1drowns-2 001.jpg

6saved1drowns-3 001.jpg

USCG Commendation.jpg

• Like 2
Semper paratus

Well now I can't seem to sleep. Not all our missions at my first duty station were rescue. Many were recovery. Now all the movies as I call them are replaying again in my head. I am sure I am not the only one that experiences this and many had it much much worse. Seeing a 17  year old boy come to the surface with hooks in his eye socket from our drag behind our boat is not  pleasant. He was reported to be an expert swimmer at a local beach only 100 feet offshore. Our little station was 45 minutes away by boat, you can't get there in time every time. That one plays over and over in my mind every time I get talking about those days. The State Police divers a nice  bunch of guys came on board and unhooked the lad. We worked real close with them. Another time we saved 3 boys from falling through the ice. The very next day the same 3 boys went through the ice on the river. once under the ice they are gone. Another one I'll never for get. Or one morning down at the boat slip amoungst the seaweed, and such a face with glasses staring up at me. Fell or was pushed off a bridge, never knew exactly why he drowned. The same State Police cut off his fingers and put them in a jar to send to a lab to try and identify him by his finger prints.  I am guessing many of you have similar movies in your heads that don't go away. I think I should stay away from any topics like this as I'll be up half the night now. Not alone I am sure.Ya'll take care. Time to shut down my movie house, I hope, Bye. I hope I am not stirring up any unpleasant memories for the rest of you. I know things could have been much worse. Much worse from talking at times with some friends that were in Vietnam.  Maayong gabii.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
USMC-Retired

Indian Springs Nevada and Mt Home Idaho were the worse non-combat related.  

throttleplate

Spent 10 months on Adak Alaska in the Seabees. You could hunt, fish, shoot your own weapons which you could buy at the navy exchange, drink, explore the island, play in the organized sports leagues.

The one thing and to me an important thing at that time in my life was having a female companion for ya know havin sex. The woman whom were there were few and the ones that were good lookin wernt in play and couldnt wait to leave the island while the fugly woman all re upped to extend their stay as they were gettin all the dick they wanted with no competition.

When our plane landed on Adak and we disembarked from the plane the small one room airport waiting area was full of the enlisted woman waiting to check us out. It was as if us guys were walking through a cattle auction being graded and bid on.

I didnt get laid for 10 months, i did have the chance to bang a woman whon looked like she was a native alaskan of eskimo heritage whom worked at the exchange and was at a party in our barracks one nite and she asked me to do the deal but she weighed at least 240 LBS and i just wasnt into that so the next day my friend told me i shouldnt have said no because he took my place and said she was great. Well his nickname was spud like the potato so theres that to consider about them to liken it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3