The Worst Duty Assignments for Every Branch of the Military

• Administrator
Salty Dog

The Worst Duty Assignments for Every Branch of the Military
By Blake Stillwell

Every branch of the service has that place their soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines just dream of getting orders for.

That place could be anywhere that might appeal to an individual… maybe they love the cultural experience of being in Europe, or they enjoy the sun in Hawaii, or maybe they’re just away from their hometown.

These aren’t those places.

ARMY: FORT POLK, LOUISIANA

ft_polk_gate.jpg

Ever hear of Leesville, Louisiana? No? Good for you. Living in a swamp is not something anyone grew up dreaming about. The nearest towns are at least an hour away, and the nearest fun is in New Orleans, a long drive away.

Sure, the PX is supposedly great thanks to a facelift, but it had better be: There’s nothing else to do. Fort Polk will supposedly ruin your car, ruin your marriage, and make you hate biting lizards.

NAVY: NAS LEMOORE

54dff04f22418123d846431b57848a44.jpg

Hey, how does being cast out into one of the most polluted cities on the planet sound? Because NAS Lemoore is a great place to get asthma.

When Fresno is your biggest selling point…

To make matters worse, the Navy thinks it’s just an image problem. Yes, the place routinely referred to by the residents as an “armpit” does have an image problem.

AIR FORCE: CANNON AFB, NEW MEXICO

Zeen-NM02R3-Cannon-AFB-Main-Base-Photos-AF-MIL-website.jpg

Most people who haven’t been to Clovis will argue that I spelled “Minot” wrong. I argue that any place referred to as “Afcannonstan” is probably far worse.

I once ran into a group of female airmen from Cannon deployed to Saudi Arabia. They seemed happy to be there.

Both places are pretty remote, and while Minot has a seemingly endless winter, the people of Clovis are annually subjected to a wave of giant insects. Also, the stink of cow dung doesn’t travel as far in the cold. Cannon’s airmen would tell you to be happy it’s so cold.

MARINE CORPS: TWENTYNINE PALMS, CALIFORNIA

welcome-to-twentynine.jpg
All of the duty stations on this list have one thing in common: They’re pretty far from real American life. Twentynine Palms is no different. These guys are smack-dab in the middle of the Mojave Desert.

The difference between the hottest and coldest temperatures ever recorded in Twentynine Palms is 108 degrees.

So, Marines can prep for sandstorms in the Middle East with sandstorms right here at home. And remember, when airmen complain about the smell of cow manure in the desert, Marines can complain about the lake of sewage.

COAST GUARD: YOU TELL ME.

hawaii.jpg

The Coast Guard talks about its districts like it’s in the world of The Hunger Games. Everyone seems to love district 13. In fact, as much flak as the Coast Guard gets for being the awkward child of the military, the Coast Guard doesn’t seem to have a “worst” station among them.

Also, the Coast Guard always looks like it’s on the way to Jurassic Park.

I’m told the station at Venice, Louisiana can be pretty bad and that the CG will let you choose your follow on orders for doing a tour there. But no one ever seems to talk Twentynine Palms-level smack about any station.

https://www.military.com/undertheradar/2017/12/28/worst-duty-assignments-every-branch-military.html?ESRC=coastguard_180103.nl

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• Semper paratus

• colemanlee

• cvgtpc1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You forgot Adak Alaska for the Navy. They had holiday routine (day off) every day the sun shined. Averaged about 4 days a year. 

To many including myself, Alaska was awesome as well. I think the Coast Guard probably had upwards of several dozen units spread all over the state.  Obviously some much better than others. I was on K

Posted Images

CardiacKid

You forgot Adak Alaska for the Navy. They had holiday routine (day off) every day the sun shined. Averaged about 4 days a year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Headshot

I would vote for Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. I'm sure the army has a few choice assignments in the sandbox as well. Do these people think we only have military bases in the US?

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 3
cvgtpc1

My AFSC after training could only go to 8 bases.  Was so jealous all my buddies got Europe.  Ended up they were all remote mountain top comm bases and I was the lucky one getting Clark AB, and the rest is history.  Man, those guys were miserable and I had barely heard of the Philippines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kabisay-an gid

Fort Drum, NY is one of the worst assignments in the continental US. Especially for those who dislike winter weather.

• Like 1
Jester

Looking over my 3 year and 9 month enlistment in the Marine Corp, I cannot choose a favorite base from among the ones I was at, including Subic. 

I found the staff at Paris Island to be rude, The living conditions at camp Geiger were not up to my standards,  I won't go on, I don't want to look like a complainer.  

• Like 1
sugbu777

Favorites:

Shore duty:

NAVCOMMSTA PHILIPPINES SAN MIGUEL

NAS FALLON NV

Sea duty:

USS LANG (FF-1060)

USNS NAVASOTA (T-AO-106)

Worst:

Shore duty:

NAVCAMS WESTPAC (AKA NCTAMS) GUAM (loved Guam...hated the command)

Sea duty:

USS ST. LOUIS (LKA-116)

• Like 3
LechonBuddha

My most trying duty station was White Beach, Okinawa. Also known as the edge of the edge of the world. 

Just realized I was stationed on four different islands during my career.

Edited by LechonBuddha
  • Like 1

I can attest to Cannon AFB as one of the worst duty assignments in the AF------I spent quite a bit of time there in the 80's.

Cannon seemed at the time to attract strange people who often did bizarre things.On one trip a young airman robbed a convenience store right outside of one the gates of Cannon-----IN FULL UNIFORM !!! Stripes,unit badges,name tag-----everything.The clerk thought that it was a joke---it wasn't.

• Like 1
lamoe
3 hours ago, Jester said:

Looking over my 3 year and 9 month enlistment in the Marine Corp, I cannot choose a favorite base from among the ones I was at, including Subic. 

I found the staff at Paris Island to be rude, The living conditions at camp Geiger were not up to my standards,  I won't go on, I don't want to look like a complainer.  

You're not - you're just a vet

For me was MCAS Beaufort (near P.I.) 1969 - town was very small back then  but not because of location - 1hr to Savannah - almost 11 months in / out hospital mostly in.

"The difference between the hottest and coldest temperatures ever recorded in Twentynine Palms is 108 degrees. "

Only 108 degrees? - Chicago = 136 (109 vs -27) index vs wind chill = 185

SkyMan
10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Most people who haven’t been to Clovis will argue that I spelled “Minot” wrong. I argue that any place referred to as “Afcannonstan” is probably far worse.

Minot definitely has the worse reputation.

9 hours ago, Headshot said:

Do these people think we only have military bases in the US?

Yeah, should have listed it as worst CONUS assignments.  I would say the worst sites I've been to were Cold War inspection sites but at least those were short term, no more than 6 month rotations.  Those sites are in some remote areas and the Russians didn't provide ground transportation or accomodations above 0 stars.  I visited one place where the 'housing' was just a small boarded up school.  The team had been working there a month and got it to the barely livable level.  The toilet seat was 4 pieces of 2X4 nailed together.

Headshot
7 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Fort Drum, NY is one of the worst assignments in the continental US. Especially for those who dislike winter weather.

If you think that had bad winter weather, you should visit Ft. Wainwright (or Eielson AFB) outside of Fairbanks Alaska. You could just about spit to the Arctic Circle, but spit explodes before it hits the ground when the temperatures are below -50 degrees F (which happens often there in the winter). Oh, and of course, it is dark there for about two months in the winter and the sun never fully sets for about two months during the summer. It is a really fun place.

• Like 2
Soupeod

My worst...stationed with Squids at NAVSCOLEOD in Indian head, MD.   ./grins :)

Soupeod
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Minot definitely has the worse reputation.

Grand Forks was one cold son of a bitch when I was TDY up there.. 12 ft high snow drifts everyone riding snowmobiles.... only -10 F ///Brrrr