Wrongful Arrest of Belgian?

SkyMan

Original topic was closed so here's an update...

Family traumatised by Belgian man’s ‘wrongful’ child trafficking arrest

Belgian

A relative of the children a Belgian man was accused of trafficking in Cebu has claimed her family has been traumatised by his wrongful arrest.

As we reported last week, Koen Van Den Broek was arrested at Cebu South Bus Terminal by police and personnel of the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (IACAT).

He was in the company of a 13-year-old girl, her nine-year-old brother, a three-year-old girl and her four-year-old brother and two aunts aged 18 and 19.

After his arrest, the family immediately rushed to the police station to defend him, telling officers he had been a close friend of the family for many years.

Despite their words, and clear evidence on his Facebook page of a long-term friendship, the 60-year-old remains in custody.

Two days after his arrest, the initial trafficking charge against the Belgian was dropped by a judge, only to be replaced with an accusation of child abuse, which Mr Van Den Broek and the family also deny. Bail has been set at 120,000 pesos.

Today (Wednesday, January 3), a member of the family — who has asked not to be identified — has contacted PLN to confirm Mr Van Den Broek’s innocence and to highlight the effect his arrest has had on his/her family.

The relative gave this account of the arrest: “Koen has been with our family for years now, I can’t even remember for many years exactly.

“He’s been helping supporting my [relative] and her kids. He treats her kids like his own.

“When he comes to the Philippines he treats the family to a vacation. It had been arranged to go to Moalboal on December 26. One of the mothers of the children lives in the direction of Moalboal, so they were going to meet her along the way.

“So, the grandparents dropped Koen, the sisters and kids outside the bus terminal.

“Then the cops saw Koen with the three sisters, aged 18, 19 and 12, and the other children they thought it was human trafficking, so they took them to police  station.

“Right away the parents of kids went to the police station, along with the grandparents.

“Because they all told the same story, the cops were willing to drop the charge, but a lady from IACAT still believed that Koen was doing human trafficking even with no proof or  evidence.

“They took Koen to jail and they took [my relatives] to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).”

Belgian and kids remain in custody

The relative said that the children remain there in “protective custody”, despite the desperate pleas of the family.

The relative continued: “They said they were going to ask the kids some questions or give them counselling. But they’re trying to get them to say something bad about Koen.

“They even asked the kids to sign a document without their parents or grandparents being able to explain what it is.

“New Year was coming, so we begged to let the kids go home to their family, but they did not care.

“The kids are hurting and asking: ‘What’s going on? What have we done wrong? Why are we stuck in a place that is like a jail?’

“Today, January 3, we will be having a meeting and just hope they will release the kids so they can go to school.

“I’m sure the experience is going to affect them badly, and they say they trying to protect the kids!

“But they broke the family apart and all of them are traumatised.”

UPDATE: As of Thursday, January 4, the children remain in the custody of the DSWD, while Mr Van Den Broek has posted the 120,000-peso bail.

The pertinent quote:

“Because they all told the same story, the cops were willing to drop the charge, but a lady from IACAT still believed that Koen was doing human trafficking even with no proof or  evidence.

no proof or  evidence.

no proof or  evidence.

no proof or  evidence.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Thanks 8
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• oztony

• Davaoeno

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There will still be some (one) here explaining how the handling of this case was/is competent and justified. And how his jail time is justified. There shouild be arrests at the child services organiza

I propose that person should be the one under arrest.....

As I said before, the way I see it, this man seems to genuinely love the family and the children. To start questioning why isn't he married and make a judgement with this as a criteria of his guilt or

Posted Images

sugbu777

Some official is looking for a payoff

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I still can't tell from the OP what is actual fact and just what a family member claims. Maybe the video explains it. Was it determined by the authorities that it was a wrongful arrest as stated in the OP...

• Like 1
Davaoeno
11 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I still can't tell from the OP what is actual fact and just what a family member claims.

Thank you kind Sir- that is my point exactly !!

• Like 2
USMC-Retired

The family knows if they can not fix it.  There is an old song by John Denver "I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane"  and he will never look back.  

• Like 1
HeyMike

I'm not sure, but it seems the only facts are that he was at the bus station with the people mentioned in the article. Lock him up.

• Like 2
Davaoeno

Unfortunately like much of the media sensationalism here  it is today's headlines but next months puppy training paper !

[ not meant in any way to belittle what happened to the dead guy or  possibly to the children he might have been with  ]

• Administrator
Salty Dog
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

Unfortunately like much of the media sensationalism here  it is today's headlines but next months puppy training paper !

[ not meant in any way to belittle what happened to the dead guy or  possibly to the children he might have been with  ]

Dead Guy? Me thinks you got da wrong thread...

• Like 2
Davaoeno
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

Ya think ???    :owned:

But change "dead' to " arrested" and my post stands !! :P

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Haha 1

Maybe the Belgium is better off to  make friends and make travel trips with the grand parents of all these kids.They would be more into his own age range.

• Thanks 1
shadow
15 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Give it time, maybe he will shoot himself in the head.

Twice.

• Like 4
oztony

"but a lady from IACAT still believed that Koen was doing human trafficking even with no proof or  evidence."

I propose that person should be the one under arrest.....

Edited by oztony
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
SkyMan
39 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Premonition.  

• Like 2