Malapascua Island Cebu Philippines trip

Enuff
1 hour ago, Canuck Joe said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Had a good rest staying on the beach for 2000php a night. Places for as cheap as 400 are available. My brother in law did most of the cooking so we saved quite a bit that way. Weather changed sooner than expected with last storm that went through so we cut the trip short. 

https://youtu.be/UH6QXNynT9A

how was transportation getting there?

we went 3 or 4 years ago and found the loading & unloading rather difficult for a healthy 40s yr old couple. we went from danbantayaan, maybe there was a better way?

• Like 1
Canuck Joe
17 minutes ago, Enuff said:

how was transportation getting there?

we went 3 or 4 years ago and found the loading & unloading rather difficult for a healthy 40s yr old couple. we went from danbantayaan, maybe there was a better way?

It's still challenging, more so in wavey conditions. If it's low tide the boat can't get close to the island so a small transfer boat is used which rocks like a canoe...not a nice feeling when you are holding a pack full of gadgets lol! Ive got that on part one video I should have posted....working from my phone. 

But I did see many there that where older than i (late 40's)

Part1 maybe a mod could add it to OP thanks 

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Enuff
1 hour ago, Canuck Joe said:

It's still challenging, more so in wavey conditions. If it's low tide the boat can't get close to the island so a small transfer boat is used which rocks like a canoe...not a nice feeling when you are holding a pack full of gadgets lol! Ive got that on part one video I should have posted....working from my phone. 

But I did see many there that where older than i (late 40's)

Part1 maybe a mod could add it to OP thanks 

I guess once they arrive it's easier to just die there then cross back over

liquido

Nicely done.....Is there a small town there and did you find any expats that live there?

Canuck Joe
34 minutes ago, liquido said:

Nicely done.....Is there a small town there and did you find any expats that live there?

Thanks ?

Logon could be considered a village with stores not much bigger than Sori Sori's.  

Mostly the foreigne residents we saw where resort owners I'd say from our brief observations. 

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
17 hours ago, Enuff said:

we went 3 or 4 years ago and found the loading & unloading rather difficult for a healthy 40s yr old couple

Not easy for your wife carrying you on and off the boat after you've had 1 too many? Maybe save the celebrating until you get to dry land next time?

• Like 1
samatm

I visited several years ago.   The place is tiny.  We circumnavigated the island on foot in about 20 mins.    looks like its built up since then.   the big attraction is diving with the thresher sharks.    its a 2.5 hour drive to the pier and about 20 mins banca transfer.    Worth a visit .    Stay at Skips Beach resort on daanbantayn .. and do day trip. 

• Like 2
Jim Sibbick

I like Skips too! Belle always looks after me well. One time, she arranged for a bangka boat from malapascua to pick us up at the resort. Trouble was the tide was so low we had to wade 100 metres or so from shore into the water to where the boat would still float. I decided after that it was easier to just go via Maya. Skips to the new pier in Maya is only about 15 minutes in public transport.

• Like 2
samatm
6 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I like Skips too! Belle always looks after me well. One time, she arranged for a bangka boat from malapascua to pick us up at the resort. Trouble was the tide was so low we had to wade 100 metres or so from shore into the water to where the boat would still float. I decided after that it was easier to just go via Maya. Skips to the new pier in Maya is only about 15 minutes in public transport.

Correct... but that far reaching sand bar is part of the charm of staying at skips!   Lots of fun wading around on the expanse...and collecting and watching unique marine life that make their homes.   

• Like 2
Headshot
2 hours ago, samatm said:

Correct... but that far reaching sand bar is part of the charm of staying at skips!   Lots of fun wading around on the expanse...and collecting and watching unique marine life that make their homes.   

Just be careful not to step on a stingray that is making it's home there too...  :cool:

samatm
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Just be careful not to step on a stingray that is making it's home there too...  :cool:

yup yup the sand is so nice there I always take off my little rubber water water shoes and run around on the sand bar that stretches far ..  its a unique place. And I hope Skips is still operating with Belle and sons ..    I havnt been there in in like 4 years so i cant give a confirmed report of a stay.    But but I did see her right after yolanda  and they weathered the storm wonderfully well.   

Enuff
4 hours ago, samatm said:

yup yup the sand is so nice there I always take off my little rubber water water shoes and run around on the sand bar that stretches far ..  its a unique place. And I hope Skips is still operating with Belle and sons ..    I havnt been there in in like 4 years so i cant give a confirmed report of a stay.    But but I did see her right after yolanda  and they weathered the storm wonderfully well.   

we were there 2 years ago. she was fine and resort was good too.

• Like 1
Jim Sibbick
13 hours ago, samatm said:

I have been twice since yolanda, They have made a lot of improvements externally

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

Looks like a great private place thanks, on the list for next time!

Skips

Off to Nalasuan for a quicky before we head back to :snowflakes:

Edited by Canuck Joe
  • Like 2