Ever wonder what drives people to leave the "land of the free"?

shadow

bounder

Back in the 80's when temporarily detailed to a rural community in Iowa.  I met a farmer's adult son who would drive into town, get blitzed, and then drive back home.  It seems he had lost his license to DUI and thus he would drive the family tractor into town as you didn't need a license for that.  In another rural town (a few years later), the local drunk under a revoked DL would drive an old front end loader to and from the local bar. 

The poor soul who was being charged with DUI on a skateboard is, in my opinion, being harassed.  How much damage could one realistically do with a skateboard....then again, perhaps they were taking the legal action as such was to protect him from undo injury due to his drunken state.  Just my fifty centavos worth.

• Like 4
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard K

• sugbu777

• niceguycebu

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.....my sister just said " I am offended" ... rolled over and went back to sleep....just sayin.

Many Filipinos, and others (American included), cannot fathom why someone would want to leave the "land of milk and honey". Well, I will tell you one main reason I will never return, freedom, or rathe

My wife and I had been planning to retire here, and in 2008 we saw an opportunity to retire at age 50 to move here with my wife and son. So we packed everything we could stuff in 43 BB boxes and moved

Posted Images

I'm here now back in my home country after living 7 years in Asia... oh boy, is it a change. First of all where i'm from is more similar to a state like New York or Ontario. It helps to have good weather all year round like in Texas or Florida, at least you don't get as quickly depressed as here in western Europe and i'm referring to the UK, Belgium, Germany, northern France, etc. 

In 7 years time, I have been stopped 3 times by police on the road in Asia (yes, all countries except Japan and Korea). I've been here now 3 months and i've been stopped 4 times already, and got my drivers license withhold for 15 days on christmas evening because I was over the maximum limit of 2 beers.

Since i've been here (3 months now), I had to change my official address back to my home here for some paper work that I have to do, a few days later my bank manager contacted me to come to his branch to submit all sort of documents to show them where I have worked the last 7 years and how I currently support myself. 

More to come, yesterday I crossed a busy intersection. As a vigilant person - I first looked if the light was green - I don't want to be crushed over by someone and be stuck in a wheelchair while in my late 20s and in this case, probably for the rest of my life. After I confirmed the light was green, I started walking over - and suddenly out of nowhere a police car with sirens started riding towards me doing all sorts of gestures claiming I was in fault...... I just pointed at the green light, and he drove off.

It's not only in the US people are feeling this... Western Europe has been hit as well. 

Edited by Thomson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
shadow
6 minutes ago, niceguycebu said:

I could try, but I've a feeling you don't listen very well.   Let's just say its hypocritical to bitch about a Belgian getting arrested on pedo charges in the Philippines, while defending this guy who got picked up in a country where jurisprudence and due process are a reality.  But it's your thread, so continue on about how much you love it here.  

You obviously have not spent 30 years in Oregon. For others who may think this is not possible in Oregon;

20-year-old Jacob Becker was arrested for DUI on Monday after he hit a moving van.

While on his skateboard.

You read that right.  Becker was riding his skateboard when he collided with a vehicle.  He sustained minor injuries, but those were the least of his problems.  Under state law, a skateboard is considered a vehicle in Oregon, meaning skating while under the influence can land you in a pair of handcuffs.  Oregon law also forbids riding a horse or bicycle while under the influence of alcohol.

https://aacriminallaw.com/oregon-man-charged-with-dui-while-skateboarding/

Now, what do you suppose they do to one is caught "driving while intoxicated"? 

They suspend the license, even if there was not one to suspend. 

I also know a man that was given a DUII on his mule, and was forbidden to ride his mule in public places thereafter. That was over 30 years ago, I don't know if he ever got his mule operators privileges back again or not.

Differing sites have differing opinions on this. While some state duii on a skateboard is not in the law, they go on to state that does not stop one from getting arrested for it, and a prosecutor trying to prosecute it. A good lawyer should be able to get one off, but it is highly doubtful this guy had a good lawyer, but probably had a public defender.

There may well be more to the story. I will continue to follow it, and report anything relevant that I may find.

• Thanks 1
Richard K

When I was young I worked at a local const. company (there in rural up-state NY)..a company that kind of had a finger in alot of things. They made concrete, had trucks to deliver.. fabricated septic tanks...etc...and also had a good mill-write operation going to accommodate the local leather mills and knitting mills. Re-works of buildings as well as maintaining machinery. (I learned a TON of shit there... I built a bowl lathe from almost ALL spare parts)  They had a tin-knocker shop run by this guy who was ..really not all there.. story goes, as a child he was in a car accident...dad was killed.. he received some head injury...anyway...
He was really an amazing sheet metal fabricator....very skilled...could not talk very well and was by anyone's measure and odd duck... "eccentric" is how my boss put it...best tin-knocker I ever saw tho.
One Sat afternoon after we were done with work a bunch of guys, that all worked together, were sitting in a local gin-mill having some some beers after a 60 hour week and we hear this un-mufflered roar coming into the parking lot... so one guy gets up and says "here comes Tommy"... The guy drove his snow mobile from his his house..which was about 3 miles away to the bar.
Now this might not have been any big deal there as many guys do that... except for the fact it was the middle of August.. and from his house?... the only way there was down a state hyw...
We all bought him a beer......loaded his ride in one of our trucks and took him home
I guess I miss THAT kind of freedom...

• Like 5

There's one place that is even worse, and that is Singapore... modeled after the US, but they have gone a few steps further.

niceguycebu
1 hour ago, Thomson said:

I'm here now back in my home country after living 7 years in Asia... oh boy, is it a change. First of all where i'm from is more similar to a state like New York or Ontario. It helps to have good weather all year round like in Texas or Florida, at least you don't get as quickly depressed as here in western Europe and i'm referring to the UK, Belgium, Germany, northern France, etc. 

In 7 years time, I have been stopped 3 times by police on the road in Asia (yes, all countries except Japan and Korea). I've been here now 3 months and i've been stopped 4 times already, and got my drivers license withhold for 15 days on christmas evening because I was over the maximum limit of 2 beers.

Since i've been here (3 months now), I had to change my official address back to my home here for some paper work that I have to do, a few days later my bank manager contacted me to come to his branch to submit all sort of documents to show them where I have worked the last 7 years and how I currently support myself. 

More to come, yesterday I crossed a busy intersection. As a vigilant person - I first looked if the light was green - I don't want to be crushed over by someone and be stuck in a wheelchair while in my late 20s and in this case, probably for the rest of my life. After I confirmed the light was green, I started walking over - and suddenly out of nowhere a police car with sirens started riding towards me doing all sorts of gestures claiming I was in fault...... I just pointed at the green light, and he drove off.

It's not only in the US people are feeling this... Western Europe has been hit as well. 

Nice post.  A lot of us that have been here a while have a delusional view of our home country...as a place to take refuge when it all becomes too much BS in the Philippines.  I've heard how bad things are in the western world from many people, even those who want to return there and aren't trying to delude themselves.  Seems like you can never go home....might be best for us all to suck it up and accept what we have here in the Philippines.

Richard K

I really do not want to turn this into a geo-political discussion..because it is essentially pointless .but there are many and varied things that are essential facts that lead people to actually migrate from a "western" country to 3rd world SE asian country... it will turn endless and I have only my own..

One for me... $$ goes further... I am limited so yeah.. that matters
I have a good woman... maybe the best I ever saw actually.. of course time tells that
I am left alone.. not just in my house. but even in govt... I don't ask of them they are not "after me about every little thing" IE: permits, license, surcharge/this...tax that...no offense but dumb-ass expats don't know how easy they have it here.... but really every where else... I have to put up with bad singing yeah..roosters, dogs, pandesal peddlers at 6 am, balut  peddlers at at 6 pm ... but that is the culture...
when I am sick... I am not particularity social... in fact I kinda just want to be left alone..but I was in hospital for an infection I could not shake last year.. 2 weeks.. my girl... her family...even my girl's ex_husband's family came to be my minders... think about that
In the States.. and believe me.. I love America.. I had heritage land... 2 generations..50 acres.. I had to APPLY for a permit to build a pond... i did that... built the pond... then I net trapped trout from a stream that ran through MY land to stock my pond... and had to apply for a fecking PERMIT to stock my pond.. which I did ... then one day.. sitting on the dam.. on the pond me and my family built and stocked... fishing for a trout we had stocked, raised and fed for our table.. an Encon agent... took my pole.. took my trout... gave me a ticket...no fishing license...on my own land.. I mean wtf?
I really don't care what anyone else thinks... my family "mostly" understands.. friends get it
 I moved here and it is my home now... all I can say is F-uck all that bullshit... i'm done with it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Richard K

Look.. Paul is right..
I could stay in the USA... and what's left of my family would take care of me... to the best of their own abilities according to their abilities to deal with the resentments of that ...I did it with my own mom... near 30 years ...progressively more so as she aged... bought a house of apts. ... I could rent some and also provide a small safe place ... later weekly bought her groceries.... every week..idk...for years i did that shit
No one else.. in my extended or immediate family did much... bi-yearly or maybe bi-monthly visit... and those were to give advise......especially to me..  USA is hard man... hard to our own... I know really successful guys and gals...their mom or dad is in some place... like they do not even matter...I don't f-ucking get that
I put my Ma in a place that could take better care..... I could not... after a while I had to deal with it.still.. I went every day. ..but she needed better medical than I had in my ability
I held my Dad's hand when he passed ...only one of it all.. and my Ma too ..everyone else had their own shit to do.......Always expected to be alone..but not so much anymore
And there you have it of why I I left the land of what you call "The Land Of The Free"... liked it is something special...it is a trap... guppy's bite any bait...

• Like 3
niceguycebu
3 minutes ago, Richard K said:

Look.. Paul is right..
I could stay in the USA... and what's left of my family would take care of me... to the best of their own abilities

Sounds like communism....just kidding.  Love your rambling posts.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
3 minutes ago, niceguycebu said:

...Love your rambling posts.

Obviously you're new here....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Richard K
10 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Ever think about an honest like opinion... or is all about snide?..believe me... I can do snide with the best of them... i am actually fairly good at it... my posts here were not however...

• Like 2
Richard K
19 minutes ago, niceguycebu said:

Sounds like communism....just kidding.  Love your rambling posts.

I cannot help it if you cannot focus in a thought process past a few lines of a post... I know it is all so confusing...

niceguycebu
6 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Yeah...haha.  Long time lurker and enjoy your posts.  You live in Florida and I will likely pick your brain in one year when I plan to take my wife back to Texas.   I was horrible at adjusting to Filipino culture, and wife's a soft-spoken Bisaya, so she will need my help adjusting.   But from what I read and hear, The US isn't quite the bastion of civility that it once was, even 20 years ago.  It's difficult to discertain from other expats here, but you're living there now, so you're the gospel. 

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, Richard K said:

Ever think about an honest like opinion... or is all about snide?..believe me... I can do snide with the best of them... i am actually fairly good at it... my posts here were not however...

Snide is not how I would describe your posts. However- if I described them honestly I would be banned instantly !! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2