Ever wonder what drives people to leave the "land of the free"?

shadow

shadow

Many Filipinos, and others (American included), cannot fathom why someone would want to leave the "land of milk and honey". Well, I will tell you one main reason I will never return, freedom, or rather, lack of it. The laws have gotten so out of hand, it has become absurd. A recent case in my hometown has come to my attention, and makes my blood boil. The case involved this guy;

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Steven Dwayne Reid is wanted on a Lincoln County warrant for misdemeanor driving suspended. Reid is 42 years of age, 3’4”, 120 pounds, has brown hair and blue eyes. If you know of his whereabouts, please contact us at 541-265-4231.

Now, the first instinct for many would be humor, to laugh (you probably did, right). That is understandable.  Such is his personality that he is jovial, and the first to laugh at himself. He would laugh with you. But there is a lot to this story that is beyond sickening, and no laughing matter. This man is known to me, although I haven't seen him in many years. A good guy, would give a stranger his last package of crackers. Yet his life has been nothing but misery, and it would seem is getting no better fast.

When he was a toddler, his Mother set their house on fire, with him in it. He lost one arm and both legs above the knees in the fire, most of his body is covered in scar tissue. He was raised as a ward of the state, and passed around accordingly.

His only source of mobility is a skateboard, which he is surprisingly agile on.

Last year he was arrested for DUI, on his skateboard. Of course, a DUI earns one a suspended license, of which I'm pretty sure he did not have to begin with. Then, he gets arrested on his way back from the grocery store on his skateboard for, you guessed it, driving while suspended.

When he does not show up in court on his skateboard, as it would be illegal for him to so, a warrant is issued for his arrest, with a bail of $15,000. 

Then the local police department posts the above picture and description on their Facebook page, trying to catch this dangerous hardened criminal. And, of course, it is flooded with comments from good people of how he broke the law, and should be punished severely.

What has become of the USA? Where is the freedom? Is common sense and decency so lacking in society, that a person with no legs can no longer even ride a skateboard in a public place?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard K

• sugbu777

• niceguycebu

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

.....my sister just said " I am offended" ... rolled over and went back to sleep....just sayin.

Many Filipinos, and others (American included), cannot fathom why someone would want to leave the "land of milk and honey". Well, I will tell you one main reason I will never return, freedom, or rathe

My wife and I had been planning to retire here, and in 2008 we saw an opportunity to retire at age 50 to move here with my wife and son. So we packed everything we could stuff in 43 BB boxes and moved

Posted Images

The law can over rule common sense  - common sense can not over rule the law

Yes they are showing very little compassion and a large amount of stupidity  however

One person's Steven Dwayne Reid is another person's Lopez Sanchez

Davaoeno

I was just reading Texas DUI law.  It says that it occurs when you are driving  a " vehicle".    There is a registration procedure for registering vehicles which includes cars and trucks. They also have a section for " other vehicles"

Pocket bikes and mini scooters (gasoline or battery-powered scooter)

Most of these vehicles do not pass a vehicle safety inspection and cannot be registered or driven on public roads. A secure Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by a manufacturer registered with NHTSA is required to title any motorized vehicle.

Mopeds

To be registered, your moped must be on the approved list of mopeds maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety. In order to title, a secure Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin is required.

Motor Homes

The registration fee is based on weight for cars and trucks, including motor homes. For more information, contact your local county tax assessor-collector office. Proof of liability insurance and inspection is required to register your vehicle.

ATVs and off-highway use vehicles

All-terrain vehicles (three or more wheels, equipped with one or more seats, and not designed by the manufacturer for farm or lawn use) are required to be titled, but may not be registered.

Off-highway motorcycles (two or three wheels) are required to be titled, but not registered.

Boats

Boats, boat motors and personal watercraft are registered and titled with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

As you can see there is no procedure for registering a skateboard. I would argue that since a skateboard is not a vehicle you can not be charged for DUI under Texas law since you were not operating a vehicle.   I agree Larry - something about this story doesn't make sense .  

Jersey Jim

(541) area code is Oregon correct? Not surprised at all by this in this particular state. The most asinine laws in our great country seem to eminent from the most liberal states in the Union.

Check these beauties out:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon

Not trying to shame Oregon, I'm from freaking NJ, which just as bad as your state and is affectionately refer to as the "People's Republic of New Jersey".

BTW, In NJ we can't pump our own gasoline either, guess govt twats think were too stupid to handle that incrediblily complex process.

• Haha 1
shadow
56 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I was just reading Texas DUI law.  It says that it occurs when you are driving  a " vehicle".    There is a registration procedure for registering vehicles which includes cars and trucks. They also have a section for " other vehicles"

Pocket bikes and mini scooters (gasoline or battery-powered scooter)

Most of these vehicles do not pass a vehicle safety inspection and cannot be registered or driven on public roads. A secure Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin issued by a manufacturer registered with NHTSA is required to title any motorized vehicle.

Mopeds

To be registered, your moped must be on the approved list of mopeds maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety. In order to title, a secure Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin is required.

Motor Homes

The registration fee is based on weight for cars and trucks, including motor homes. For more information, contact your local county tax assessor-collector office. Proof of liability insurance and inspection is required to register your vehicle.

ATVs and off-highway use vehicles

All-terrain vehicles (three or more wheels, equipped with one or more seats, and not designed by the manufacturer for farm or lawn use) are required to be titled, but may not be registered.

Off-highway motorcycles (two or three wheels) are required to be titled, but not registered.

Boats

Boats, boat motors and personal watercraft are registered and titled with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

As you can see there is no procedure for registering a skateboard. I would argue that since a skateboard is not a vehicle you can not be charged for DUI under Texas law since you were not operating a vehicle.   I agree Larry - something about this story doesn't make sense .  

I see no reference to bicycles in your Texas laws either. I have a retarded cousin who spent nearly 5 years in Oregon State Penitentiary for repeated DUIs on his bicycle. That was over 20 years ago, so it comes as no surprise to me to see a cripple on a skateboard is high on the priority list now.

Edited by shadow
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

The law can over rule common sense  - common sense can not over rule the law

Yes they are showing very little compassion and a large amount of stupidity  however

One person's Steven Dwayne Reid is another person's Lopez Sanchez

The law is an "Ass" always has been and always will be!

I live with the curse of common sense,  it is a curse as it is no longer common.  It is embarrassing to be an American and I am glad my time here is coming to an end, that I am not a young person starting out in this day and age. 

The things I read or hear about today simply defy any law, logic or sense, Riply would not believe it. I was in an amusement park recently where there is a sign that says Please treat other guests and staff with courtesy.  What kind of country do I live in where a sign like that is needed? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ever wonder what drives people to leave the "land of the free"?

I don't want to be put in a home for the aged, if I live long enough. I want family to take care of me until I die. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
niceguycebu
40 minutes ago, Paul said:

I don't want to be put in a home for the aged, if I live long enough. I want family to take care of me until I die. 

That's a good point.  I just wish Filipinos could understand why we have nursing homes in the West.  They judge us as heartless and uncaring, but it's simply not feasible to do otherwise in a country where everyone works to make ends meet.    We finally put my Grandma in one after 25 years of living alone, at the age of 90.  She loved it there for her last few years.  

Edited by niceguycebu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, niceguycebu said:

She loved it there for her last few years.

My Granny didn't "love it". I would say she tolerated it. I went to visit her often enough to know I wanted no part of it. I'm very happy that I found SEA.

• Like 3
niceguycebu
20 minutes ago, Paul said:

My Granny didn't "love it". I would say she tolerated it. I went to visit her often enough to know I wanted no part of it. I'm very happy that I found SEA.

Americans are very independent....my aunt was still driving at 90 and would come over and pickup my grandma to go shopping.  It's a big adjustment to live in an aged home but they definitely serve their purpose, especially when there are medical needs involved.  I visited her there often, also, and want no part of that myself....but it's always silly to me when Filipinos judge us as uncaring bastards saying we just throw our old people in there and forget about them.

edit:  back on topic and related to the OP...there's much more to this story than what has been reported.  Getting upset about this is meaningless and futile.

Edited by niceguycebu
  • Like 1
shadow
21 minutes ago, niceguycebu said:

there's much more to this story than what has been reported.  Getting upset about this is meaningless and futile.

Maybe you could enlighten us?

We have mum living here with us,  What was to be the dining room and downstairs toilet, is now her bedroom and en-suite shower room, been here two years now since she was 90.

as for the original OP here in the uk you can get busted  for being in control (or not) whilst pissed up of anything that has wheels on it, including a pram. so mothers beware.

• Like 2
niceguycebu
2 minutes ago, shadow said:

Maybe you could enlighten us?

I could try, but I've a feeling you don't listen very well.   Let's just say its hypocritical to bitch about a Belgian getting arrested on pedo charges in the Philippines, while defending this guy who got picked up in a country where jurisprudence and due process are a reality.  But it's your thread, so continue on about how much you love it here.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1