Sign in to follow this  
Soupeod

Filipina Girlfriend Has a U.S. Green Card

Soupeod
12 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

That's not the worst theory I've ever heard. 

My GF has just gotten her green card and we are planning to visit her family this spring or summer. She owns a house there (that the family lives in of course) and is convinced we can just stay there too. Crap like this makes me wary. 

GF cannot get a green card.

shadow
2 hours ago, soupeod said:

Depends on what visa she entered on.

Edited by Salty Dog
Removed OT Emoticon - Was for other thread before it was split
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DeedleNuts

My GF has her green card, feel free to f*ck off. 

1 hour ago, shadow said:

Yeah, it depends on many factors. 

My GF is a pinay who has a green card, as it turns out. 

Edited by Salty Dog
Removed OT Emoticon - Was for other thread before it was split
  • Like 2

DeedleNuts

Just to be clear, she entered on a Fiance visa but got her green card via alternate means. I wouldn't recommend it, but it happened and it's done, she has her residence, a SSN, and is on my health insurance and so on. 

lamoe
1 hour ago, soupeod said:

I read it to mean "you can not get your GF a GC" - not that she couldn't do it herself.

• Thanks 1

Soarking

My wife also was already here in California when I met her, had her green card, worked at a hospital as an RN and owned her own house.  She became a US Citizen shoutly after we were married and it had nothing to do with me or us being married.

DeedleNuts
3 minutes ago, lamoe said:

I read it to mean "you can not get your GF a GC" - not that she couldn't do it herself.

Not sure what is meant by 'get', but I paid for the immigration lawyer and facilitated the filing of all the various forms and fees. 

If he has a question as to how I 'got' her green card, or how she 'got' her green card, then it would be great to have those questions asked., 

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Only DeedleNuts knows the situation. I think people are confusing things here. There is no girlfriend green card. But of course, a girl friend could get a green card in any number of other ways. Most Filipinos in the U.S. probably didn't come here on a fiance or married visa...

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

lamoe
3 minutes ago, DeedleNuts said:

Not sure what is meant by 'get', but I paid for the immigration lawyer and facilitated the filing of all the various forms and fees. 

If he has a question as to how I 'got' her green card, or how she 'got' her green card, then it would be great to have those questions asked., 

I wasn't being antagonistic - figured it was something akin to my nephew's wife - Venezuelan - easier for her - wealthy family and she was a degreed lawyer there.

Salty Dog

Maybe asking "how can a girl friend have a green card" would have been a more diplomatic way of stating it...

1 hour ago, DeedleNuts said:

My GF has her green card, feel free to f*ck off. 

Let's keep it civil guys...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DeedleNuts
6 minutes ago, lamoe said:

I wasn't being antagonistic - figured it was something akin to my nephew's wife - Venezuelan - easier for her - wealthy family and she was a degreed lawyer there.

I don't mean to be abusive to you, you've been reasonable as far as I can tell. 

• Thanks 1

Soupeod
21 hours ago, shadow said:

Thx, my mind was elsewhere and I misread the post. Pls disregard my post.

AlwaysRt
On 12/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, DeedleNuts said:

Especially with the current immigration climate, I am curious to know, if you are willing to share, how she started with a Fiance Visa but got a green card 'by alternate means'.

• Thanks 1

RedRanger
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Especially with the current immigration climate, I am curious to know, if you are willing to share, how she started with a Fiance Visa but got a green card 'by alternate means'.

VAWA would be my best bet

Edited by RedRanger

Headshot
47 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

VAWA would be my best bet

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) would be my guess as well. She claims abuse against the fiance, and then seeks asylum from the US (along with a green card). This is a devious way to gain access to a US green card for a woman who has no real chance of getting one otherwise.

If that was the case, I would tread very carefully with this woman, who has already shown her true colors towards manipulating men to get what she wants. There is no reason to believe that such a woman won't repeat her manipulation with other men.

• Thanks 2