Marriage Certificate

yeah the certificate of no impediment may be issued immediately, but he will get the delay to the cernomar. :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ckfm

• jdwanderer

• Penguin

• Mailman

don't forget that the American not only needs the legal capacity from the embassy/consulate, he also needs the cernomar from the NSO.

Oy! I also need a CENOMAR from the NSO even though I've never been to the Philippines before? Oh, bother! I have the equivalent of a CENOMAR issued by the Washington State Dep't. of Public Health with an attached Apostile from the state attorney general's office. I thought that that plus my "certificate in lieu of" from the US Consulate would be enough to get the marriage license!

How long does an NSO-issued CENOMAR take to get?

ancienrocka
Oy! I also need a CENOMAR from the NSO even though I've never been to the Philippines before? Oh, bother! I have the equivalent of a CENOMAR issued by the Washington State Dep't. of Public Health with an attached Apostile from the state attorney general's office. I thought that that plus my "certificate in lieu of" from the US Consulate would be enough to get the marriage license!

How long does an NSO-issued CENOMAR take to get?

The "cenomar" is the Filipina's equivalent of the "certificate of no impediment and ours was issued by the local civil registrar in 1 week.

Both provide proof that the applicant is legally allowed to marry.

The certificate of no impediment is for the foreign applicant, usually the man and is obtained from the relevant embassy in the Philippines. I am not sure if it can be obtained abroad before coming here but I would think this is possible. For me processing was immediate.

The cenomar is obtained by the Filipino applicant from the local Civil Registrar and is to prove that the "woman" has not been previously married or has had that marriage annulled. This took us one week to obtain.

Markham
The certificate of no impediment is for the foreign applicant, usually the man and is obtained from the relevant embassy in the Philippines. I am not sure if it can be obtained abroad before coming here but I would think this is possible. For me processing was immediate.

Much depends on the individual's circumstances. If he is widowed or divorced and has an original copy of his former wife's Death Certificate or his Decree Absolute (a Decree Nisi is not acceptable), then it will be far easier to get that authenticated and a Certificate of No Impediment issued by his country's Embassy or Consulate here in the Philippines. Alternatively he can take either of those documents to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (for the UK - or equivalent elsewhere) who will issue a Certificate of No Impediment. However, in this case, that Certificate and its supporting documentation will need to be taken to the Philippines Embassy for authentication.

If he is single (i.e. never married), then he will need to apply to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (or equivalent) for the Certificate which will need to be authenticated by the Philippines Embassy.

Depending upon the hour of the day, the day of the week and phase of the moon, the civil Registrar here may require a Cenomar in addition to the Certificate of No Impediment for foreigners seeking to marry a Filipina here.

Mark

jdwanderer

Ok, inspite of the great help here, I'm still confused.

I'm the foreigner, (girl, in this case) so I need the certificate of no impediment but not the Cenomar. I get the certificate from the embassy in Manila.

My husband to be will need the Cenomar but not a certificate of no impediment, which he can get from the court house? (or does he have to get it from the embassy??)

Right?

And then after we get those we go to our nearest city hall type thing and apply for a marriage certificate, which takes 10 days.

Right?

What happens if someone protests the marriage during those 10 days?

And I'm relieved to know it won't take 3 days or so to process my Certificate of No Impediment, as I was formerly surmising.

By the way, I believe I read that you cannot obtain it from any country except the Philippines as they don't think America keeps good enough track of those records. But if I really can apply from here in the US, that would be awesome!

Ok, inspite of the great help here, I'm still confused.

I'm the foreigner, (girl, in this case) so I need the certificate of no impediment but not the Cenomar. I get the certificate from the embassy in Manila.

My husband to be will need the Cenomar but not a certificate of no impediment, which he can get from the court house? (or does he have to get it from the embassy??)

Right?

And then after we get those we go to our nearest city hall type thing and apply for a marriage certificate, which takes 10 days.

Right?

What happens if someone protests the marriage during those 10 days?

And I'm relieved to know it won't take 3 days or so to process my Certificate of No Impediment, as I was formerly surmising.

By the way, I believe I read that you cannot obtain it from any country except the Philippines as they don't think America keeps good enough track of those records. But if I really can apply from here in the US, that would be awesome!

You and your fiance can get the Cenomar from the NSO in Cebu. He can go there and get it for both of you. You can also order it online and he can pay at certain banks and they will send it to him. Credit card from the US is possible but much more expensive.

https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Secure/frmIndex.asp

Easiest is for him to go to NSO in Cebu. As I mentioned, you need one too and he can apply for both of you.

In regards to the Certificate of Impediment, you have to check with the US embassy in Manila as they are responsible for the "certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage" This is the one (plus Cenomar) you actually need to get the marriage license.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha009.html

Check here too:

http://www.gov.ph/faqs/marriage.asp

The "cenomar" is the Filipina's equivalent of the "certificate of no impediment and ours was issued by the local civil registrar in 1 week.

Both provide proof that the applicant is legally allowed to marry.

The cenomar is obtained by the Filipino applicant from the local Civil Registrar and is to prove that the "woman" has not been previously married or has had that marriage annulled. This took us one week to obtain.

The rules changed for getting married. Now, the foreigner needs the certificate of no impediment issued from his embassy as well as a certificate of no marriage issued by the NSO. Stupid, right? That's what I thought.

You mentioned that your wife got hers at the local civil registrar. That's no longer the way that is done either. The cernomar has to come from the NSO.

Now jdwanderer: Just to be completely clear. YOU NEED TO GET A CERNOMAR FROM THE NSO AND AN AFFIDAVIT OF NO MARRIAGE FROM THE EMBASSY. YOUR FIANCE NEEDS TO GET A CERNOMAR FROM THE NSO.

yes, and I think we need one. :P I think we both posted it on this thread above and then the OP came back and was still unsure.

jdwanderer

I'm sorry to sound so stupid but what is an NSO? And is there one in Manila? Because Cebu is a long ways from where we live... :)

Edit #1.

Um, ok, so I answered my own question again:

NATIONAL STATISTICS OFFICE (NSO)

Solicarel Building

Ramon Magsaysay Boulevard

Sta. Mesa, Manila 1008

P. O. Box 779

PHILIPPINES

But now I have another question....or two...or ten. :P

How long does it take to get one of those Cenomars if I apply online? Anybody ever applied on ecensus.com.ph? I only have 18 days left..... :D

Edit #2.

Boy, I need research more before I ask questions! But I'm leaving this on here so other people who may have the same questions can have the answers:

Processing of paid Copy Issuance requests takes about three (3) working days after receipt of payment and nine (9) working days for Certificate of No Marriage Record (CENOMAR or Singleness) requests. Delivery will take two (2) to six (6) working days for destinations within the Philippines and six (6) to eight (8) weeks for destinations outside the Philippines.
Edited by jdwanderer
Mailman
I'm sorry to sound so stupid but what is an NSO? And is there one in Manila? Because Cebu is a long ways from where we live... :P

National Statistics Office and yes!

I'm sorry to sound so stupid but what is an NSO? And is there one in Manila? Because Cebu is a long ways from where we live... :)

Edit #1.

Um, ok, so I answered my own question again:

NATIONAL STATISTICS OFFICE (NSO)

Solicarel Building

Ramon Magsaysay Boulevard

Sta. Mesa, Manila 1008

P. O. Box 779

PHILIPPINES

But now I have another question....or two...or ten. :lol:

How long does it take to get one of those Cenomars if I apply online? Anybody ever applied on ecensus.com.ph? I only have 18 days left..... :D

Edit #2.

Boy, I need research more before I ask questions! But I'm leaving this on here so other people who may have the same questions can have the answers:

Then send him to the NSO. He can pick it up the next day.

/.

Karen was told that the rules may be different in different cities, too. In our case we'll need to get married in Mandaue City because that's where she's from and that's what her tax records show for her address. Mandaue requires a CENOMAR for both of us as well as a certificate of no impediment (for me) and a barangay certificate of some sort (for her). We have everything except my CENOMAR, which she's applied for, and my certificate of no impediment, which I'll get at the US Consulate in Cebu City.

Honestly, I'm starting to feel like climbing on top of a tall building then shouting, "I'M NOT MARRIED!", but I guess you do what you gotta do.

Edited by Jay
  • 2 weeks later...

i suggest u get the CENOMAR online and pay at the bank,they'll deliver it right at ur doorsteps on the nxt 3days.