Marriage Certificate

jdwanderer

I know this isn't really about visa so please forgive me if there's a better place for this to go...

I'm trying to get all my paper work ready and cleared out but I'm not sure about this...

Philippine law requires a citizen or subject of a foreign country to obtain a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. It is issued by the diplomatic or consular offices of his or her country, prior to the issuance of a marriage license in the Philippines. This serves as a clearance or permit from the consul as an actual proof of the subject
Edited by jdwanderer
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ckfm

• jdwanderer

• Mailman

• Penguin

Mailman

US Embassy in Manila or the US Consular Office in Cebu are your only two possible options... but I think you know that now. :rolleyes:

thebob
US Embassy in Manila or the US Consular Office in Cebu are your only two possible options... but I think you know that now. :rolleyes:

How did you know the poster was from the US?

She is a girl and looks American but the answer is right anyway.

aussiedon
I know this isn't really about visa so please forgive me if there's a better place for this to go...

I'm trying to get all my paper work ready and cleared out but I'm not sure about this...

Would that be the embassy, or can I get that here at the city hall or something? :rolleyes:

"ok, you win, I wont.." what happened there????

Would that be the embassy, or can I get that here at the city hall or something? :mellow:

jdwanderer, post away, we can and want to help you. PM me if you need any advice, Chris

Mailman

I am blessed with the uncanny ability to remember things that I have read in previous posts. :mellow:

jdwanderer

Yep yep, I'm an "all American mutt..." and definitely a girl ph34r.gif

Aussie, guilty as charged. :D

Mailman, is that a good thing? :(

I think it said on the website that it only takes 10 days for your marriage certificate to process, but then a filipina friend of mine said she thinks it will take 15, which isn't shocking to me. In the Philippines you never know until it happens, right?? But just for the sake of it, how long did you married folks have to wait?

Thanks for all of your replies! Ya'll are awesome, like I said before...!! :D

Edited by jdwanderer
Paul
I am blessed with the uncanny ability to remember things that I have read in previous posts. :(

Mailman, is that a good thing? :D

No. It means he is slowly transforming into a woman. Pretty soon, he will never forget anything. :D :D

ancienrocka
I think it said on the website that it only takes 10 days for your marriage certificate to process, but then a filipina friend of mine said she thinks it will take 15, which isn't shocking to me. In the Philippines you never know until it happens, right?? But just for the sake of it, how long did you married folks have to wait?

Thanks for all of your replies! Ya'll are awesome, like I said before...!! :D

Hi jd,

I'm an Aussie so it might be a little different for you as an American.

I went to the Australian Embassy in Manila and the "Certificate of No Impediment", which says I am legally able to marry according to Australian law, took about 30 minutes to process. Then you need to apply for a marriage license and this will take at least 10 days as you can see form the quote from the PH Gov web site quoted below:-

"Marriage License: a requirement for either a Civil or Church wedding to be held in the Philippines. The Application Form for a marriage license must be secured at the Local Civil Registrar from the city, town or municipality where either the bride or the groom habitually resides. The personal appearance of those getting married is required in applying for a marriage license.

Each of the contracting parties shall file separately a sworn application for each license with the proper local civil registrar. Philippine law prescribes a ten-day waiting period from the filing of the Application to the issuance of the marriage license. The license is valid for 120 days from date of issuance and may be used anywhere in the Philippines.

At the time the contracting parties appear to file their application for a Marriage License to the local civil registrar, he or she must also submit the following supporting documents:

Birth Certificate: Certified True Copy required of each the contracting parties with the respective registry number. This document is issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO).

NOTE: NSO now provides a web service which accepts online application for copies of birth and marriage certificates. It is called the e-Census, a web facility aimed to provide Filipinos within and outside the country an alternative means in applying for copies of their civil registry documents. It also has a 24-7 hotline called the NSO Helpline Plus with telephone no. (632)737.1111. You could also reach them via email through: [email protected]

Parents' Consent (for 18-21 years old) or Parent's Advice (for 21-25 years old): Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. While any contracting party between the age of 22 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple's intent to marry.

Certificate of Attendance in a pre-marital counseling and family planning seminar conducted by the Division of Maternal and Child Health at the Municipal/City Hall in the same municipality or city where the contracting parties applied for the marriage license."

Hope this helps.

Paul

Mailman
Mailman, is that a good thing?

Comes in handy at times.

Once you apply for a marriage certificate, you must wait 10 days before you can wed. This is the time when someone who opposes the marriage can protest. After you are married, it can take up to 6 months to get a NSO-certified copy of your marriage license.

No. It means he is slowly transforming into a woman. Pretty soon, he will never forget anything. :D:(

I feel sorry for everyone once the transformation is complete. I won't do thongs justice.

Sounds as if things gets mixed up here.

Are you asking for a marriage license or an official NSO marriage certificate after you got married in order to process the visa application for your sweetheart?

don't forget that the American not only needs the legal capacity from the embassy/consulate, he also needs the cernomar from the NSO.

ancienrocka
Sounds as if things gets mixed up here.

Are you asking for a marriage license or an official NSO marriage certificate after you got married in order to process the visa application for your sweetheart?

As I said in my previous post, I think he's asking about a "certificate of no impediment" which is supplied by your own country's embassy and is issued almost immediately

and is confusing it with

a "marriage license" which has a ten day waiting period and is issued by the local Civil Registrar in the Philippines

Edited by ancienrocka