• Kahuna

• Salty Dog

• Headshot

• broden

SkyMan

image.png.79876c69b22cd39baf67fb837ae39985.png

Dog Lovers

November 4, 2019· 

Judy, a purebred pointer, was the mascot of several ships in the Pacific, and was captured by the Japanese in 1942 and taken to a prison camp. There she met Aircraftsman Frank Williams, who shared his small portion of rice with her.

Judy raised morale in the POW camp, and also barked when poisonous snakes, crocodiles or even tigers approached the prisoners. When the prisoners were shipped back to Singapore, she was smuggled out in a rice sack, never whimpering or betraying her presence to the guards.

The next day, that ship was torpedoed. Williams pushed Judy out of a porthole in an attempt to save her life, even though there was a 15-foot drop to the sea. He made his own escape from the ship, but was then recaptured and sent to a new POW camp.

He didn't know if Judy had survived, but soon he began hearing stories about a dog helping drowning men reach pieces of debris after the shipwreck. And when Williams arrived at the new camp, he said: "I couldn’t believe my eyes! As I walked through the gate, a scraggly dog hit me square between the shoulders and knocked me over. I’d never been so glad to see the old girl!"

They spent a year together at that camp in Sumatra. "Judy saved my life in so many ways," said Williams. "But the greatest of all was giving me a reason to live. All I had to do was look into those weary, bloodshot eyes and ask myself: 'What would happen to her if I died?' I had to keep going."

Once hostilities ceased, Judy was then smuggled aboard a troopship heading back to Liverpool. In England, she was awarded the Dickin Medal (the "Victoria Cross" for animals) in May 1946. Her citation reads: "For magnificent courage and endurance in Japanese prison camps, which helped to maintain morale among her fellow prisoners, and also for saving many lives through her intelligence and watchfulness".

At the same time, Frank Williams was awarded the PDSA's White Cross of St. Giles for his devotion to Judy. Frank and Judy spent a year after the war visiting the relatives of English POWs who had not survived, and Frank said that Judy "always provided a comforting presence to the families."

When Judy finally died at the age of 13, Frank spent two months building a granite and marble memorial in her memory, which included a plaque describing her life story.

• Like 5
Kreole

Thanks so much for this inspiring story.  I could hardly keep a dry eye. 

• Like 2
Kahuna

image.png.8679834989914f4c1f11b5d251bb711a.png

• Haha 2
Kahuna

image.png.e4593c17364c3d8a31c968321e4a1fa0.png

• Haha 2
Kahuna

image.thumb.png.be5cb65dab8746395876878e42e24044.png

• Like 4
Kahuna

• Like 1
Semper paratus

image.png.2cf5cb2be59458251ca84b17ae3fbdae.png

• Haha 2
Kahuna

image.png.087539aa077ccc80535fd20e8dba2c83.png

• Haha 5
Kreole
9 hours ago, Kahuna said:

image.png.087539aa077ccc80535fd20e8dba2c83.png

Although this is a cute example, it is my opinion that no dog is inherently vicious or "bad".  The owner is the one who determines the dog's responses to different situations and people.  It has got to be abundantly clear by now that there are many macho and vicious dog owners who train their dogs to attack.  In addition there is the negligent dog owner who never exercises control or discipline over their dog which can result in the same bad behavior.  Even the most combative species of dogs (pit bulls for instance) can be trained to be accustomed to strangers, affectionate and at ease.

Some individual dogs are just dominant at birth and need a lot of love and conditioning around different people in order to bring out their best qualities which are well behaved, under control and comfortable interacting with strangers.  If you have a pit bull that is loved by lots of different people, including strangers, that dog will be loving and friendly towards everyone.  The key is the love and affection it receives as a puppy from a range of people outside the family members.

Obviously there are lots of crazy and vicious dogs that are very protective of the nuclear family but aggressive toward strangers, but they were not born that way.  They were either trained to be aggressive or tolerated without discipline.  Even those dog breeds that are selected to be protective of only family members can be trained to be selectively aggressive when the family is in danger, but otherwise quite at ease otherwise.

An owner's selection of dog breed says a lot about the personality of the owner, as a dog is genetically inclined to key in on the dominant or alpha owner and will reflect that owner's personality traits.  This is not hard science but is borne out from thousands of years of conditioning.  Guard dogs can be selectively bred and trained to be aggressive on command or under certain circumstances.  They are not inherently aggressive toward all strangers unless trained to or allowed to.

As simple as it seems, LOVE and AFFECTION are the key components to raising a dog to be docile among strangers, even affectionate as long as it does not receive deliberate or threatening signals to act otherwise, and even then is under the control of the owner or owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Davaoeno

Since it's quite obvious that some humans are borne just plain bad it doesn't seem to be much of a stretch that some animals are also born bad !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Administrator
Dafey

Ummmm....Dogs is in the Jokes and humor section, right? So I'd assume that anything posted here would be entertaining.....Hmmmm, guess I should be in the doubtful expectations thread?

• Thanks 3
Kahuna
10 hours ago, Kreole said:

Although this is a cute example, it is my opinion that no dog is inherently vicious or "bad".  The owner is the one who determines the dog's responses to different situations and people.  It has got to be abundantly clear by now that there are many macho and vicious dog owners who train their dogs to attack.  In addition there is the negligent dog owner who never exercises control or discipline over their dog which can result in the same bad behavior.  Even the most combative species of dogs (pit bulls for instance) can be trained to be accustomed to strangers, affectionate and at ease.

Some individual dogs are just dominant at birth and need a lot of love and conditioning around different people in order to bring out their best qualities which are well behaved, under control and comfortable interacting with strangers.  If you have a pit bull that is loved by lots of different people, including strangers, that dog will be loving and friendly towards everyone.  The key is the love and affection it receives as a puppy from a range of people outside the family members.

Obviously there are lots of crazy and vicious dogs that are very protective of the nuclear family but aggressive toward strangers, but they were not born that way.  They were either trained to be aggressive or tolerated without discipline.  Even those dog breeds that are selected to be protective of only family members can be trained to be selectively aggressive when the family is in danger, but otherwise quite at ease otherwise.

An owner's selection of dog breed says a lot about the personality of the owner, as a dog is genetically inclined to key in on the dominant or alpha owner and will reflect that owner's personality traits.  This is not hard science but is borne out from thousands of years of conditioning.  Guard dogs can be selectively bred and trained to be aggressive on command or under certain circumstances.  They are not inherently aggressive toward all strangers unless trained to or allowed to.

As simple as it seems, LOVE and AFFECTION are the key components to raising a dog to be docile among strangers, even affectionate as long as it does not receive deliberate or threatening signals to act otherwise, and even then is under the control of the owner or owners.

image.thumb.png.ba4b980c38c2d50d3ab8003418b85d0d.png:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Kahuna

image.thumb.png.be89ab48242fdd0557b828c40f92f7d8.png

Yes..I'm roasting live weiner dogs on my grill [:shocked: just in case "somebody" isn't aware this is the "Jokes and Humor" section of this forum :rolleyes:  ]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

yw8al32rsx561.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1