Sign in to follow this  
scoobie007

Urgently required Blood type A+

scoobie007

A good friend & Brit Expat living in Leyte for past 6 years currently in Chong Hua Hospital,Fuente undergoing op for Iliac aneurysm tomorrow morning 8:00 am - requires Blood type A+. Wife can be contacted on 09173097550 - grateful thanks for anyone willing to donate.

Jack Rat
40 minutes ago, scoobie007 said:

A good friend & Brit Expat living in Leyte for past 6 years currently in Chong Hua Hospital,Fuente undergoing op for Iliac aneurysm tomorrow morning 8:00 am - requires Blood type A+. Wife can be contacted on 09173097550 - grateful thanks for anyone willing to donate.

A+ as scarce as 'hens teeth" here in the Philippines. A friend went through the same scenario 12 months ago but at the Perpetual Hospital..He was operated on and unfortunately he bleed profusely. They managed to cauterise the source of bleeding but postponed the operation until an adequate supply of his blood type A+ was available. Obviously the surgeons assumed the operation  would be straight forward.. Make sure you have an adequate supply of blood  before you go into the operation. They cost is around 3000 pesos a unit and they will refund you for any units of blood not required. Ask around other hospitals as there are one or two locals who would be  willing to sell you a pint or two. A donor can only give blood once a month. Good luck..

• Like 1

scoobie007

Thanks very much for the reply & advice - will try suggested options.

RR3

A+ most common in PI. Ask any doc

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Jack Rat
3 hours ago, RR3 said:

Who's any doctor? 

enoonmai

Unfortunately, asking for blood donations on an expat forum where most of the participants are older and taking medications is largely a waste of time. I went through the same thing several years ago (also at Chong Hua);  Paul put the word out and 6 or 7 guys who showed up to donate and only 1 was approved. The rest were judged too old, taking medication, recent surgery, etc. You may have to buy it from the young guys hanging around the hospital. They know what you're looking for by the color paper of the blood request. It's a cottage industry. I think the going rate was p2000 a unit back then.

Jack Rat
3 hours ago, RR3 said:

Actually O is the most common blood type in the Philippines , only 28% of the population have A+. My advice is if you are going to have an operation in the Philippines check to see if the doctors (hospital) have a ready supply of your blood type.

Jack Rat
7 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

28.9% of filipinos have A+ blood   . It is the second most common after O+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

We seem have these so called "books of knowledge" frantically Googling to prove me wrong. Amazingly they do run out of blood stocks here, even the more common types.. Just sayin'!!

• Like 1

Headshot

Many Filipinos have A+ blood. Unfortunately, many Filipinos cannot donate because of one reason or another. I have O+ blood, and I couldn't find eligible blood donors for that when I thought I might need it (when I had Dengue Fever). People I had lined up were either anemic or their veins collapsed too easily. Other reasons who people can't give blood include high blood pressure, diabetes and a long list of diseases that are common here. So yes, while there may be many with the type needed, finding one may still be problematic. If the hospital has a list of people who are eligible and will sell their blood, that may be the best route to follow.

broden

this is a thread requesting A+ blood

not a pissing contest

• Like 3

Alfred E. Neuman

Contacted the wife, she said he needs A- blood.

LechonBuddha

Why ask for only the exact blood type when most blood types can also accept other compatible blood types as well? 

For instance:

A+ can accept both  A+ and A- along with both  O+ and O-

A- can accept both A- and A+

I'm no doc but was once told since I'm AB+ I can accept all blood types.

• Thanks 1

Alfred E. Neuman

Dang, hospital staff said I‘m healthy but my white blood cells are not enough to donate.

scoobie007

Many thanks for taking the time out to go down Alfred - I popped along today,operation seems to have gone well - he's sitting up and in good spirits. For the record he is  A+ but seemingly low Hemoglobin that was the reason they decided on A- although the blood wasn't required during the Op. 

• Thanks 1